Author Topic: Ahh that's better...  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Bubbaj6

• Zinc Member
Ahh that's better...
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2004, 11:53:53 AM »
Dok,

I have been hesitant to reply to you in these threads because you seem to be a celebrity in the community but I wanted to add one more piece of history that Slapshot has not added yet.

When the Rooks were in the hole the Bish had the overwhelming numbers with the Knights in usually distant second.  Over time, and I am not sure what the fulcrum event was, the Rooks started to fight pretty well even though they were outnumbered and even got a few resets.  Fast forward to near-today and the Rooks have numbers and the Bish seem to be in the hole.  

My supposition that a lot of the people migrated from Bish to Rook when the Rooks started doing better and that as the Rooks started winning more and more the process excelerated.  This is the only way I can explain such a sudden shift in who has numbers.  I also know that a LOT of game players will do anything to see their names in lights so this fits with what I have seen in all kinds of different games.

The situation we have now I do think you are at least partially correct about.  There is artifical tendency to smack on the Rooks.  This is because not only did the rooks enjoy a numerical advantage for a long time that allowed them to consistently "win" but also because some rooks were posting trash talk about their ability to win because they are "uber" on the boards further raising the animosity towards themselves not that that advantage is erased.

Slapshots advice about alternative plane suggestions though I do still think holds merit though.  I have had to do it many times myself and life continues and I have fun.  As a knight now that the ENY limit is in and we seem to have the numerical advantage more often we are just as effected as the Rooks.  Yet, somehow, as mentioned earlier in this thread the Knights have been able to buck the usual trend for the current map and actually gain ground.

One final question I have been wondering about, and I do not mean to imply anything at all, but why is it that when you returned to flying and came to AH did you decide to join Rooks even though at the time the boards were overflowing with "balance the numbers" threads?

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
Ahh that's better...
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2004, 11:55:14 AM »
"Insanity is the exception in individuals. In groups, parties, people, and times, it is the rule."
     -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
Ahh that's better...
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2004, 12:08:14 PM »
Originally posted by Bubbaj6

One final question I have been wondering about, and I do not mean to imply anything at all, but why is it that when you returned to flying and came to AH did you decide to join Rooks even though at the time the boards were overflowing with "balance the numbers" threads?

Oh ... that's easy ... I'm on a mailing list with a bunch of old-timer AW/WB/AH'ers ... their squad just happens to be Rooks. I really didn't explore the BBS much beyond Ye Olde Vosse Threade until weeks after I started playing again.

As for plane choices ... I agree ... I prefer the La-5 to the -7, the 190A-5 to the D-9 (though when Pyro re-does the A-8 I'm sure I'll upgrade), the F4U-1 to the -1D, and the P-51B to the D. Often I'll take the more uber ride mainly because I want the get-away speed due to the rampant gangbangery in the MA. I usually fly 3 or 4 different planes in a night.

But for less experienced players, taking away a technical advantage - even if only a perceived one - makes a difference.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Ahh that's better...
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2004, 12:21:21 PM »
Your points make a lot of sense and fill in some of the blanks as far as history goes.

This is another thing that I don't understand. You self-imposed exile from the game. When you announced that, I was extremely disappointed, due to the fact that you based your decision (from what I read) on not enough facts ("blanks") and real understanding of what really was transpiring.

I would have thought that someone of your stature and knowledge would have better served the Rooks as an active player and leader. I know you flew with anonimity for your own reasons, but had you flown or if you fly as DokGonzo, I am sure that the Rooks would rally around you and results would be positive.

Not trying to lay all the responsibilty of the Rooks on you, but I was, and still am surprised at your reaction and exile.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Ahh that's better...
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2004, 12:59:08 PM »
DoKGonZo,

I didn't put any words in your mouth.  I made a prediction based on your current whining.

You have roughly even numbers and are whining incessantly on the BB about how unfair it is to the Rooks.

The Knights in the situation I described had half the number of players as the Rooks and well below the Bish every single night I logged on.  We were crammed down into a few bases that were perpetually capped.

Now, based on your persistant whining now, I can only imagine how much worse it would have been had you been a Knight at that time.  I highly doubt you would have been content to just take it as you seem to be insinuating we should.  I'll bet you would have been complaining loudly and frequently on the BB and demanding that HTC do something.

So far as I can tell, you're only complaining now because you're a Rook and your toy has been taken away.

Maybe I'm wrong in this, but after being crushed repeatedly and consistantly over an extended period of time by Rooks who were insulting and arrogant in their responses to the problem I am not very charitable towards Rook based whines of unfairness.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
Ahh that's better...
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2004, 01:36:34 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak

So far as I can tell, you're only complaining now because you're a Rook and your toy has been taken away.

Then you aren't paying attention.

Offline agflit22

• Zinc Member
Ahh that's better...
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2004, 05:16:45 PM »
Has it EVER occured to ANYONE that the so called "gangbangs" that take place when the are down to 15 or 20 bases is the result of the reset race?? In my experience, it seems like as soon as 1 team is on the ropes, the other 2 smell blood and go for the coup-de-grace... after all, they do want to be the victors right?? Don't you?? A natural evolution that is par for the course in this type of enviroment. As far as ENY goes... wouldn't make a difference. A dog pack mentality means that only the strong survive... and if ur weak in the MA, regardless of who u are, your gonna die.