Author Topic: Abominations 'r us...  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Abominations 'r us...
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2005, 10:24:03 PM »
I know it's off-topic...
But I heard a song "Banjo Thing" from "Infernal".
It was almost as good as their song "Keen on disco".

Question is what is wrong in me? I like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and frigging disco?
Should I contact some headshrinker or just face the fact that I've lost my taste of music?

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Abominations 'r us...
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2005, 06:28:57 AM »
Originally posted by Hangtime
"Churchie". Priceless. ;) Nailed it..

Thanks for the kind reply.

The faith in which I was brought up assured me that I was better than other people; I was saved, they were damned ...Our hymns were loaded with arrogance -- self-congratulation on how cozy we were with the Almighty and what a high opinion he had of us, what hell everybody else would catch come Judgment Day.

Thanks to the experiences of my adolescence and youth, I've since carried a dim view of those that take a 'holier than thou' attitude regarding their church or their faith.

That is not to say that I dis-respect the efforts and good works towards others in their community that Men of Quality do every day... men like Seagoon are a precious commodity in these sad times.

Again.. thanks for the kind reply.. it is much appreciated.

Hangtime, I've been thinking about this for several days now. While  I can respect -- and to some extent agree with -- your distaste for fakes and fakers, it seems to me that many times you generalize your distaste to include anyone with religious beliefs. Your reactions to people of faith seem visceral rather than thought out.

If your issue is really with the behavior and attitudes of the beleivers you've seen, would it make sense to consider that they amy not represent the true expression of faith?

In other words, does the fallibility of humans really invalidate the teachings of the Bible? It sounds from your description like the church you grew up in was trapped in the early 1930's (facetiously spoken). Human traditions have long been glopped over Jesus' teachings, and to some have become a new dogma -- but Jesus didnt teach the glop, and shouldnt be dissed because others have slathered it on.

Your anti-religious postings are so filled with, well, maybe ????bitterness??? that I have to wonder if there's more to the story than just distaste at hypocrisy.

And if hypocisy is what you truly hate, then please do people of faith this service ----- wait until we've been hypocritical before you slam us.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Abominations 'r us...
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2005, 10:34:55 AM »
Originally posted by Staga
I know it's off-topic...
But I heard a song "Banjo Thing" from "Infernal".
It was almost as good as their song "Keen on disco".

Question is what is wrong in me? I like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and frigging disco?
Should I contact some headshrinker or just face the fact that I've lost my taste of music?

Disco??
No. Nothing short of a lengthy exorcism can help you now.;)
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Abominations 'r us...
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2005, 03:57:48 PM »
Originally posted by Delirium
I respect anyone's religion, provided they aren't strapping a bomb to their back. That said...

I consider all those 'Jesus Saves' and other novelty items people buy to be just like all those 'yellow ribbon' decals people are putting on their cars in alleged support of the troops.

Those 'yellow ribbon' decals are made in China and do nothing for our troops, they should instead donate the money to a charity to show thier support instead, like the USO for example.

Those religious items are exactly the same, useless for public display except for making the individual displaying them feel good themselves where they money would be best spent practicing their beliefs like feeding and caring for the poor.

I agree totally and I hate those stupid little yellow ribbons.  If any bit of the money was actually going to the troops or to the families of those lost it would be a different story.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Abominations 'r us...
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2005, 06:42:27 PM »
And if hypocisy is what you truly hate, then please do people of faith this service ----- wait until we've been hypocritical before you slam us.
[/b]

'us'??

Is this 'high & mighty' BS again?

The 'slam' was a response to what I percieved to be a 'slam' against what was termed an 'abomination'.. a religious inference that's often used to isolate and single out for attack by religious activists any activity frowned upon by a 'churchie'.

And that, my religious friend is something that inspires my negative diatribes anytime I run across it. I don't care if the noise comes outta the head mulla's beard, the popes piehole or a baptist preachers sermon.. religious intolerance is one of societies greatest evils.

Now, with all due respect regarding the percieved 'hypocrisy'; either back the truck up; or drive it on thru. Don't leave that load of BS here.

Cheers!
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.