Author Topic: Here comes the draft  (Read 1678 times)

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2006, 06:26:06 PM »
Just playing devil's advocate here, but it is possible to read Rangel as saying that a draft requires the whole country to understand the sacrifice and commitment required for war - and still be in favor of it.  Maybe, with a draft, those who were for it before they were against it would have taken a second look before being for it in the first place.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2006, 06:27:04 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
6'4" actually...

I believe the true downfall of Modern US culture came when some ****** said,

At least he served his country.   With yer watermelon attitude, you'll be lucky to get a career in your "Field of study".    Penn State is small potatoes, not to mention your "exaggerated internet bravado which is masked by an ego, that could fit inside of a thimble".
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Here comes the draft
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2006, 07:40:29 PM »
Originally posted by dhaus
Just playing devil's advocate here, but it is possible to read Rangel as saying that a draft requires the whole country to understand the sacrifice and commitment required for war - and still be in favor of it.  Maybe, with a draft, those who were for it before they were against it would have taken a second look before being for it in the first place.

That would be the "high road" but I don't buy it from Rangel.  He has continually passed on lie after lie regarding the "undue burden on minorities and low-income families" to be credible.  You're interpretation is a fair and thoughtful idea but it isn't Rangel's motivation and it doesn't really bear out in reality.  The large majority of the US population was "for" the Vietnam War while a tiny percentage were the ones taking to the streets.  Even if 1 million protesters hit the streets that's still only around 1/3 of 1 percent of the total population.  Of the protesters, a large percentage were worried about being drafted even if the probability of actually being drafted were small.  In other words the self-interest of the potential draftees was an exceptionally strong motivation to protest.  Even a very large protest isn't statistically significant in measuring the population's views as a whole but this is what drove many of the Vietnam War decisions.   Contrast that with the all-volunteer military where the people who are serving are there because they want to be there and draftees are neither desired or required.   I still think Rangel is far more interested in motivating protest than in any moral fairness.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2006, 08:40:34 PM »
I respectfully disagree with your comment on the extent of the American population in favor of the Vietnam War.  It was not merely the draftees, wacked out "students", or peaceniks.   That is a topic for another thread.  Rangel has been in favor of a draft for a long time, and does claim that the rich kids avoid military service while their fathers are all in favor of war.  Just because it is class warfare, and it sounds like it, does it make it untrue?  How many in Congress or the administration had sons or daughters serving?   Or, like Cheney, did they have other priorities?

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2006, 10:44:51 PM »
5- Flamebaiting, trolling, or posting to incite or annoy is not allowed.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 11:44:20 PM by MP4 »
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2006, 10:55:36 PM »
How do you meaure your "betterness" to an individual?

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Here comes the draft
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2006, 11:34:33 PM »
Originally posted by dhaus
I respectfully disagree with your comment on the extent of the American population in favor of the Vietnam War.  It was not merely the draftees, wacked out "students", or peaceniks.   That is a topic for another thread.  Rangel has been in favor of a draft for a long time, and does claim that the rich kids avoid military service while their fathers are all in favor of war.  Just because it is class warfare, and it sounds like it, does it make it untrue?  How many in Congress or the administration had sons or daughters serving?   Or, like Cheney, did they have other priorities?

Actually it's exceptionally untrue that politician's families are not represented in the services.  Despite the propaganda promoted by Rangel and others like Michael Moore there were actually a greater percentage of "public servants" that have sons and daughters in the military than the general population.  In other words it's more likely that a Congressman or Senator has a child in the military than you do.  Besides, what makes you think rich kids wouldn't be able to avoid a draft?  They did in Vietnam.
Mace

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Here comes the draft
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2006, 11:36:24 PM »
4- Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users and HTC. Flaming or abusing users is not tolerated.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 11:42:51 PM by MP4 »
Mace

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2006, 11:41:14 PM »
It's amazing how someone can boil down all the things I wanted to say in many paragraphs into 3 simple words.

Thanks, Mace.

Offline ujustdied

• Nickel Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2006, 11:44:04 PM »
i don't really get this. why the hell do we need a draft???? i mean with all the technology you'd think this should be easy. but you know it was the peoples choice for putting the dems in the house. i guess now they know why i don't vote for them. lol but seriously we have f22s and freaking super sonic bombers and picture spy planes and bombs that can go through a chimney. wtf do we need more troops for????

y'all can answer me. i really don't know

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2006, 12:03:42 AM »
Originally posted by ujustdied
i don't really get this. why the hell do we need a draft???? i mean with all the technology you'd think this should be easy. but you know it was the peoples choice for putting the dems in the house. i guess now they know why i don't vote for them. lol but seriously we have f22s and freaking super sonic bombers and picture spy planes and bombs that can go through a chimney. wtf do we need more troops for????

Eventually, you're going to have to put boots on the ground.

It's not cost effective to put a multi-million dollar weapon into a hut... and ultimately that's what war boils down to... economics.
sand

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2006, 01:45:16 AM »
Originally posted by ujustdied

I'll second the boots on the ground.  Enemies of America learned from the Gulf War (the 2nd Gulf War to those from that region), and the fighting in the Balkans, that the best way to counter American technological superiority and air power is to take the fighting into the cities among the civilian population.

Among heavy populations, insurgents can hide in the open.  We've got satellite imagery, aerial patrols, scouting helicopters, derigible platforms, and UAV's all operating over Baghdad and Iraq, yet insurgents can still emplace IED's to attack passing convoys every day.  Munitions are transported in donkey carts and taxis and hidden within loads of produce like tomatos and watermellon.  

Insurgents will nail a pipe to a tree, drop in an arty round or mortar round, set it off into a compound, then bug out.  Counter-battery will return fire... killing the family in the house next to the tree.  Not very good press.

Technology cannot easily spot low tech operations in heavily populated environments like these.  Part of the problem we're in now was too much reliance on technology to justify keeping the initial force size low when we first went into Iraq.  But jets in the sky could not stop looting on the ground after their government collapsed.

Even if you discover the location of an enemy cell, if it is next to a Mosque, or within an apartment complex, or adjacent to a school.... do you hit it with a 1,000 lb JDAM?   Western powers do not believe much in carpet bombing, arc light, incediary raids, and the like any more, since WWII really and places like Dresden.  They are not big on large numbers of casualties through collateral damage as an intentional act.  In other words, we can't even use those high tech weapon's platforms in many cases.

Furthermore, the U.S. ordanance inventory is not all that large, when compared to WWII or Korea, or Vietnam's days.  For example, Pres Clinton used up a sizable portion of the conventionaly armed cruise missiles during his two terms, to the point that nuclear-tipped cruise missiles have been rearmed with conventional warheads to make up for shortages.  

You want to see what I mean?  Get a few of your friends to wander around a city in AHII on the ground on foot.  You circle overhead with icons turned off and try to find them.  Now imagine a million other figures running around in the city among your friends.  Add a few thousand vehicles.  Designate two or three as VBIED's and try finding them.  Take up a couple 1,000 pound bombs... hit the church in a town, but don't damage any other buildings.

And, as I stated in above, a draft is the wrong way to go, and political suicide as well, but mandated service to the country in one form or another I could support, as well as the idea of an American Foreign Legion.  But to fight the "Long War", which is what the War of Terrorism is called in military circles.... rightly so.... , at a tempo that it requires also requires more troops to be used.

Using NATO troops as a suppliment does not work well.  The various restrictions NATO members have placed on their troops use have hamstrung NATO efforts in Afghanistan.  We've never had enough troops in Iraq to suppress the insurgency, and sending in more troops now, instead of two years ago, just reinforces claims about colonialism on our part by critics in the region.  If we had to commit troops to another front or operation anywhere in the world, we will be really juggling troop numbers to come up with bodies needed.

Roughly 24% of America's GDP went into WWI, 38% to 150% of U.S. GDP (depending which numbers you use) went into WWII.  About 4% of GDP goes into American defense spending now.  

11.2 million servicemen fought in WWII.  Over 407,000 U.S. servicemembers died in WWII.  The U.S. total population at that time was 132,000,000 citizens.

Rough numbers put our current military at  2,685,000 total force numbers of which  Active troops = 1,426,000 and the rest are Guard and Reserve.  The nation's population is over 300,000,000 now.

America has been fighting the War on Terror longer than it fought World War II.

We, as a nation, are really not all the serious about fighting this "War on Terror" all things considered.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 01:48:54 AM by tedrbr »

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Here comes the draft
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2006, 08:19:54 AM »
Originally posted by Mace2004
4- Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users and HTC. Flaming or abusing users is not tolerated.

Hey admin, with all due respect, I disagree I was either flaming or abusing Lasersailor, I was merely refering to him as an "idiot" in it's historical Greek context:  

"Idiot" was originally used in ancient Greek city-states to refer to people who were overly concerned with their own self-interest and ignored the needs of the community. Declining to take part in public life, such as (semi-)democratic government of the polis (city state), such as the Athenian democracy, was considered dishonorable. "Idiots" were seen as having bad judgment in public and political matters.

:aok :aok :aok :aok
Mace

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Here comes the draft
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2006, 08:25:30 AM »
Gotta agree with tdrbr.  Lots and lots of folks complain about the "cost" of the war but it's actually pretty cheap, cheaper than having to deal with a few more 9/11.  If the government would get off it's duff and plus up the military budget (to a percentage far more approprate to the significance of the fight) we could grow the military to a sufficient size to deal with this properly wuthout a draft.
Mace

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Here comes the draft
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2006, 08:27:36 PM »
I don't consider insults to me as flaming.  I opened myself up to it.

Anyway, I was going to qualify who I was and my school to Mash, but then I realized as there was no purpose to it.  Nothing would have been accomplished but to make him angry.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"