Author Topic: Who's idea was this?  (Read 4097 times)

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Who's idea was this?
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2006, 11:28:15 PM »
Originally posted by Fruda
I sure hope this thing blows over sometime in the near future, because the MA was a lot of fun during the peak hours. Maybe not always so much for the people who only want to dogfight, but then, that's what the H2H and Dueling arenas were/are for.

I had some really good times flying with a good amount of other players, trying to take enemy bases (sometimes successful, sometimes not). I also had equally good times flying support over tank town. And then, there were the missions where over a hundred players would join and attempt to take out an enemy's headquarters (this rarely worked, but it was great to be intercepted by Me-163's, and flying bombers is exhilirating when P-47's come out of nowhere to attempt to take a chunk out of your tail)

There's just something "special" about having 400+ players in one arena. There are just so many possibilities that come along with such a large amount of players that just aren't there with only 120. You can whine about "whordes" or "vulch queens" all you want, but not being able to defend against a horde attack is more of a matter of poor strategic planning on the part of the team as a whole... And getting vulched constantly is pretty ridiculous, since it really only happens when people try to take off from fields that are being swarmed, rather than fields that are nearby where they could coordinate a counter-offensive.

Maybe in the not-too-distant future, AH will have enough planes for each country so that we can have a true rolling planeset for a single main arena (now now, people, this is just a dream/theory, not a suggestion, so please try to keep your flamethrowers concealed). This could possibly eliminate a lot of the source for whining... Hey, one can dream, right?

With all of this said, I guess I'll just have to see how things turn out, for better or worse.

Well said,
i think same way about the game, and so does most of the players,  I still hope to see the massive multiplayer flavour back in game,
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 11:32:13 PM by ghi »

Offline JimJones

• Zinc Member
Who's idea was this?
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2006, 01:04:13 AM »
Originally posted by Free
Okay.  That's easily one of the more retarded explanations I've heard yet.

You changed the entire arena system because you were afraid someone wouldn't be able to make e-friends?

Maybe you can write some code that will allow me to buy some friends with my perk points?  Yipee!

maybe they should get a myspace account.

Offline JimJones

• Zinc Member
Who's idea was this?
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2006, 01:07:39 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
You realy can not seperate the 2 issues. Other wise you might as well be playing against AI in a box.

We always just think of it as a very violent chat room.

And it has nothing to do "as too many players at same area" , this realy isn't a PURE game play dynamic but rather a social one.

HiTech

If you can code an AI that emulates human skill / error and provide server hardware to give each AI a unique personality 700 times then you deserve a Nobel prize.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 01:11:17 AM by JimJones »

Offline JimJones

• Zinc Member
Who's idea was this?
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2006, 01:10:09 AM »
Originally posted by Overlag
thing is even 20 player online games can be hostile. I agree with the other points, but theres probably a very small minority that are "nasty" to each other, or to new people... Why "punish" everyone?

There is no comparison between AH and a 16 player Counter Strike server.  The voice chat on the CS server would make a sailor blush.

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Re: Who's idea was this?
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2006, 04:20:33 AM »
Originally posted by COndor06
If you can't stand the heat then take up knitting.

I lol'd.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Who's idea was this?
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2006, 04:22:52 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
The more people you have, the more hostile types you have. The more new players you add to the mix, seeing the vocal hostile types, the more newer players you have who will act the same way. Vicious cycle.

You learned from the best, grasshoppa.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights