Author Topic: Pistol vs. Revolver?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Pistol vs. Revolver?
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2006, 02:49:50 PM »
Dago... this is not about pistol vs rifle.   the rifel is superior in allmost all cases.

this is about revolver vs semi auto.   I have explained how the revolver is superior in allmost all cases for the average guy.

Semi autos are king tho for holstered guns for military and police where yu are likely to have a lot of new people who can't master a revolver.... better to spray lots of lead and hit nothing than to do nothing at all I guess.

For military and police who must have relatively low powered rounds that will be fired by untrained or untrainable masses.....  the semi auto is king.

The police found that while the best revolver shooters were the best officers.... few could or would master the revolver enough to be effective...

especialy since standards have been lowered so much in the military and especialy.. the police.   the semi auto is king for those who can't be trained properly.

lazs

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Pistol vs. Revolver?
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2006, 04:24:58 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
the semi auto is king for those who can't be trained properly.

lazs

Dang lazs, you make me laugh.

At the 2006 NRA Bianchi Cup competition, 89 shooters used semi-autos, 27 used revolvers.

You should go to the competition next year and tell all those ignorant auto shooters they cant be trained to shoot properly, and that those pesky semi-autos aren't very accurate.   Since a bunch of them misinformed auto shooters will be holding first place trophys, they will certainly find your "expertise and opinions" quite amusing.

After all, I think it is your duty to spread the word of their folly.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
Pistol vs. Revolver?
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2006, 06:01:17 PM »
Lazs, you really shouldn't try so much to be like Chuck Norris...

Because if this EVER comes to His attention, he will roundhouse kick you beyond the moon's orbit (after catching with his teeth the 5 .357 SWC from your PD 340 that you'll shoot at Him in a desperate and useless last act of defence).
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Pistol vs. Revolver?
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2006, 10:44:24 PM »
Originally posted by deSelys
Lazs, you really shouldn't try so much to be like Chuck Norris...

Because if this EVER comes to His attention, he will roundhouse kick you beyond the moon's orbit (after catching with his teeth the 5 .357 SWC from your PD 340 that you'll shoot at Him in a desperate and useless last act of defence).

I bet Chuck Norris only shoots revolvers.  (another good reason to shoot semi-autos)  :D
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Pistol vs. Revolver?
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2006, 10:07:44 PM »
After renting a lot of large caliber handguns the past couple months, including Glock, Springfield, S&W, Ruger, Kimber, STI, Beretta, Taurus, Sig, and Kahr, so far my favorites are the Kimber Custom .45, the STI Eagle 5.0 .40, and my own Ruger Security-Six .357.  

Mainly I prefer blued steel, rubber gripped DA/SA in 4- or 5-inch barrels.  

To me the biggest paradox is the concealed handgun.  Should be light and compact for most comfortable carry, but horrible recoil and blast from the same features.  

From what I read, I don't have confidence in the stopping power of 9mm and .38 and smaller although they are easier and cheaper to shoot.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 10:25:07 PM by Halo »
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Pistol vs. Revolver?
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2006, 07:53:45 AM »
For ccw in a revolver I favor a S&W mod 66 in 2.75" barrel round but with Pachmeyer grips. Once the action is smooth it is a true joy to shoot. You have many options for ammo but I prefer +P .38's in a 125 gr format or just 125 gr .357's like Gold Dot's. You do have a significant muzzle flash with either load but that's the saem with any 4" or less handgun and those kinds of loads.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Pistol vs. Revolver?
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2006, 08:55:46 AM »
for social shooting any damn gun you are carrying will work.

If the guy is more than a few feet away then he is no threat and you probly have no business shooting at him... You most certainly have no bussiness spraying the area with a dozen bullets or so in 99% of the cases.

If the gun is heavy and awkward you aren't gonna be carrying it.   If you have to shoot it you won't even notice the recoil.   You will have plenty of time later to heal from the big bad recoil monster.

If I want to have fun shooting I use any of a number of accurate and powerful revolvers and semi autos..  If I have to carry a gun for defense that no one knows about... I will take whatever I can get but... prefer something small and light with a big punch.   5 rounds is more than enough.  I own a speedloader for the thing but... why bother?   You aren't gonna get into some prolonged firefight on the street.

lazs