Author Topic: Hello i'm new.  (Read 1051 times)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 08:27:12 PM »
Originally posted by Geary420
Elaborate please?

It has its buttons located around the 8 way hat. No buttons are located on the base. Ergo, if you are using your thumb to press the views how do you use the "look up modifier"? While it can be done there are other sticks like the Evo which will accomdate you much easier than the ST.

My recommendation is based on being able to have a HOTAS using an inexpensive stick.  As you are aware. HOTAS does away with the requirement for the keyboard in the middle of a fight. The ST falls short in that regard. THe EVO does not.

Alternatively, you can chose to stay with an ST and spend $100 for a used or new TrackIrPro and use the hat for other jobs.

If it's a choice between a mouse and a hat the ST wins hands down. If you begin to compare sticks to sticks the ST comes up short.

The good news is "anyone" can adjust what they do to make anything work for them no matter how difficult.  But in a game that requires concentration on just flying the airplane, then expecting a person to think and fly effectively in a fight using a keyboard puts them at a distinct disadvantage using an ST. If you can get something that does more, much easier, for about the same money why would you settle for less?

As I previously mentioned I don't really like to list sticks by name but if one stick has the minimums required for this game and the other doesn't I'd be doing a disservice to any noob who shows up in AH2.

One last thing to think about is you come to AH2 and find out it has a steep learning curve. It looks cool but you don't even have a stick. You have no idea if this is the game for you. Why would someone not suggest a minimum list of things a stick should have to at least give you a fighting chance in the game. If the noob decides this is the game for them they evenually upgrade to something diffferent like separate stick, throttle, and pedals. If they decide it's not for them the stick will work with any boxed game they buy so they're not out anything.

For a new player it's a win-win situation.

Hope this helps.

Offline Geary420

• Silver Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 09:16:31 PM »
Ok, I assumed you were speakin in regards to the modifier but wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I was missing.  Personally I have never used the modifiers at all.  I have the views set pretty good for all the different rides and I don't really have problems tracking the enemy.  Next go around I think I might give the new Saitek model mentioned above a try and if I have an extra button I'll play around with it a bit.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 10:09:30 PM »
Originally posted by Geary420
Ok, I assumed you were speakin in regards to the modifier but wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I was missing.  Personally I have never used the modifiers at all.  I have the views set pretty good for all the different rides and I don't really have problems tracking the enemy.  Next go around I think I might give the new Saitek model mentioned above a try and if I have an extra button I'll play around with it a bit.

Keypad 5 is your look up key. It is also called a "look up modifier" because it modifies your views "up" approx 30 degrees when you press kypd 5 while looking around. By assigning it to a button (a button which does not interfere with your using you view hat) you never have to reach for kypd 5 in a fight but just hit the button to maintain constant visual on the contact (con). The concern with the ST is all the buttons are on top and located around the 8 way hat. If you're using your thumb on the hat you are forced to either reach up with your other hand to press the look up modifier or reach across to the keyboard to press kypd 5.

The difference with the previously mentioned joystick is it has buttons on the base. One of those can be assigned to kypd 5 and you can use it while still using your throttle and other buttons.

Again the reason I mentioned it is because, again, you begin with a steep learning curve. Why compound the problems by having a stick handicap?

Hope this helps.

Offline YeOldePilot

• Zinc Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 07:39:39 AM »
I bought the Saitek Evo and i must say I'm loving it, I'm doing much better now :) now I'm just learning the game, like you guys mentioned it has a steep learning curve but I'm slowly improving i think, so all in all i like the evo allot and think its a good starter stick. The funny thing is i am also getting used to a joystick in itself since I've never really used one, so its a double curve hehe but so far so good!

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 12:21:31 PM »
Don't be afraid to die! Mix it up, and whenever you die try to determine what you did that allowed you to be shot down. But above all, don't be afraid to fight people on even terms.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 01:03:07 PM »
YeOld,I got 4 or 5 logijunks sitting on a shelve collecting dust.
  I would advise you to pay abit more and get an extended warranty:aok
 You can ussually purchase an extra 2 years of "no questions asked" warranty for about 20% extra.
 I can't even begin to tell you how many times I was able to run out just before closing and grab a brand new stick,so I could fly.

I now have an X52 setup,had it over a year now,without any real problems.
 So even if you get Saitek stick,ask about the warranty.Saitek's require you to send the stick to Cal. for repair.Make sure that the store you buy yours from atleast offers to replace your stick under the manufactures warranty:O

Offline JimBeam

• Copper Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 02:50:38 PM »
"However I've read on these forums that the Logitech joysticks are inferior,"
 I've had my Logitech 3D Pro for 3 years now and have not had a problem with it. I like the way if feels its very smooth. I thought about buying an Evo until i borrowed a friends Evo i thought it was a piece of junk
JimBeam 367th "Dynamite Gang"

"In my experience JimBeam never goes down easy" -wil3ur

Pilots...looking down on people since 1903

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 05:51:35 PM »
Originally posted by JimBeam
"However I've read on these forums that the Logitech joysticks are inferior,"
 I've had my Logitech 3D Pro for 3 years now and have not had a problem with it. I like the way if feels its very smooth. I thought about buying an Evo until i borrowed a friends Evo i thought it was a piece of junk

I have 1 too for 3 years, Jimbeam.  I do have to calibrate each time I play AHII though.
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 12:48:38 AM »
You guys that are using the MS sticks. Are you using them as gameport or usb? I was told that you had to use GP because they won't work with usb. Just wanting to clarify this so the guy doesn't go out & buy a MS stick that he can't use. I have a new MS stick that I can't use because my PC doesn't have a gameport.:cry :furious
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 09:03:39 AM »
Originally posted by MajWoody
You guys that are using the MS sticks. Are you using them as gameport or usb? I was told that you had to use GP because they won't work with usb. Just wanting to clarify this so the guy doesn't go out & buy a MS stick that he can't use. I have a new MS stick that I can't use because my PC doesn't have a gameport.:cry :furious

You can buy a "game port to USB" adapter. Radio shack use to carry them. I used my analog CH stuff for years through one.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 10:47:47 AM »
I'm bummed, I need a new EVO (I'm brutal on joysticks, and most any other inanimate object within arm's reach whilst flying) and it looks like Circuit City/Best Buy have chucked it in favor of STwhatever and X52--will have to order one online:cry
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 08:18:51 PM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
You can buy a "game port to USB" adapter. Radio shack use to carry them. I used my analog CH stuff for years through one.

I was told that since MS quit making them there is no longer any support for them & they will only work with GP & not usb. I tried to get mine to work usb & it wouldn't.:cry
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Hello i'm new.
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2007, 10:52:31 AM »
Woody,

I had a USB MS sidewinder pro.  Unfortunately I just gave it away or I'd send it to you.  I'm assume they are avaialble on ebay.  I'm assuming, of course, that the USB MS sticks are the same quality as the game port versions.  I'm a lefty and it was never comfortable for me to use.  I had an Evo that was OK but my lefty modified CH gear is much better.  Thanks to Homeboy.

Bigprop
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL