Author Topic: ap vs hvap  (Read 581 times)

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
ap vs hvap
« on: November 04, 2007, 07:55:26 PM »
whats the diff between in the ap and hvap shells in the tanks other than one being faster, when should each one be used. also how do they compare to he when attacking buildings

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
ap vs hvap
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 08:25:36 PM »
HVAP rounds are lighter & faster than AP rounds, but lose their energy quicker at longer ranges. So up to 1000 yds they penetrate armor better than AP, from 1500 yds on they are actually worse in penetration.

Both HVAP and AP are not really suited to killing structures, you will need at least 50% (if not even 100%, not sure right now) more hits to kill a building. Use HE for that whenever possible.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
ap vs hvap
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 03:59:50 AM »
I've found the LVT4 with the howitzer very affective on buildings. Unfortunately it's easy to kill.
I can not find a difference between AP and HVAP rounds in the game besides the sights being different. In fact it seems it takes more  HVAP  rounds to kill a tank then it does for regular AP.... for me anyway

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
ap vs hvap
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 06:37:06 AM »
Lusche answered the question regarding armor penetration.

Regarding strength of different types of rounds vs objects, Relative Projectile Strengths

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
ap vs hvap
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 07:29:42 AM »
Question for you Murdr

A 3.5"rocket is assigned a RPS kill value of 140 while a 4.5" rocket is set at 93. Is that accurate??

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
ap vs hvap
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 07:42:25 AM »
This is off the top of my head, but IIRC the American rockets were initially developed by modifying the body of a naval gun warhead to mount on a  rocket, while the British 3.5" rocket had different development roots, and consequently had a more powerfull warhead.

But yes, based on the 1k bomb, the 3.5" is equivelant to 140lbs of ord, while the 4.5" is only 93lbs.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:02:45 AM by Murdr »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
ap vs hvap
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:31:10 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
HVAP rounds are lighter & faster than AP rounds, but lose their energy quicker at longer ranges. So up to 1000 yds they penetrate armor better than AP, from 1500 yds on they are actually worse in penetration.

Both HVAP and AP are not really suited to killing structures, you will need at least 50% (if not even 100%, not sure right now) more hits to kill a building. Use HE for that whenever possible.

It takes twice as many AP rounds (4) to kill a building as HE rounds (2).  Have never tried HVAP's on a building so I'm not sure how they stack up.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
ap vs hvap
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 07:17:31 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche

I know this is how it is suppose to be, but dang if I can see a difference, especially within the "1000 yard zone".
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
ap vs hvap
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 07:25:46 AM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
It takes twice as many AP rounds (4) to kill a building as HE rounds (2).

exception is the Firefly - 3x HE or 3x AP to kill a building - so I always load 100% AP (or sometimes the smallest amount of HE just for killing ack);)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
ap vs hvap
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 09:07:23 AM »
Originally posted by RTHolmes
exception is the Firefly - 3x HE or 3x AP to kill a building - so I always load 100% AP (or sometimes the smallest amount of HE just for killing ack);)

I can't confirm this. In my offline testings, it always needed 4 AP rounds vs 3 HE rounds to bring a town building down.
When testing this yourself, make sure you fire at builings that are not located close to each other, or the shell's blast zone may give you wrong results.

That being said, a AP effectiveness vs town buildings of 75% compared to HE is still a strong argument to carry AP only.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:29:55 AM by Lusche »

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
ap vs hvap
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 09:19:59 AM »
Round strength vs objects are quantified in the link I posted above.

For reference, buildings are hardened for 312.5 lbs of ord based on the 1k bomb.

Offline stockli

• Copper Member
ap vs hvap
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 12:03:01 PM »
do any tanks in this game have hvap rounds?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
ap vs hvap
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 12:09:24 PM »
Originally posted by stockli
do any tanks in this game have hvap rounds?

T-34