Author Topic: At what distance , the most common shot?  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
At what distance , the most common shot?
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2007, 08:19:38 PM »
Originally posted by nirvana
When they fill the windscreen, then you can't possibly miss.;)

I can manage it!  In fact, I just did last night, to my amazement.

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2007, 12:43:48 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
hey trigger thats an interesting setup you describe. im curious though about snapshots and 'one timers' , do you feel you lose out on those areas of gunnery by having your convergence staggered so?

i find i only make snapshots count when i catch them at convergence. Out of convergnce, too far or too near, i often just put a neat row of holes either side of the canopy on both wings.

could you list any other advantages to a staggered gun setup, surprisingly in the 5 years i've been here, i have never once tried a staggered setup.

what more can you tell us about this style of convergence, i expect you have some good experience to share.

S!

bat

With the staggered set up, the snapshots you do have to make your shots count, but the 4 guns set to the inside can make an impact, plus, at close range, the 2 long range guns (which are usually my far guns) can make contact, maybe not where you want it (i.e. the wing causing paint damage) but can put holes in the plane none-the-less and get them psyched out a bit, which, could win you the fight. The snapshots, you just don't have as many guns on em, so go for 1) the engine or 2) the pilot, don't try to be one merge wonder and take off their wing.

With the 'one timers' you've mentioned, I personally don't care much for 'em to begin with. I like the fight rather than the kill, and if I get shot down cause I didn't take the inital merge shot, then so be it. 'one shots' still happen, just not as much and it requires either a lot of luck, a lot of skill, or a **** nice shot to the engine.

The staggered gun set up, for me anyways, is the best way to go. It gives you the long range accuracy when you need it like for those runnin lala dweebs :furious or if you have a bit more accuracy, taking out a bombers gun before you engage :aok but it also gives you those inside guns for when you need it which is the majority of the time. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it gives you a wide variety of attack stratagies that you couldn't use before, or, if anything, gives you the slightest nudge you might need for the upper hand.
I suggest you give it a try, give it maybe a week, get used to it, see if you like it. It's how I fly, but I'm known to be a bit...'different'. :aok best of luck to you bat, S!
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2007, 01:25:30 AM »
When I'm flying a fighter plane, I line up my shot from about 5.5K away and I take it at D400.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."