Author Topic: Does anyone have a Nikon Digital SLR  (Read 693 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Re: Does anyone have a Nikon Digital SLR
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2008, 04:16:15 PM »
Thank you ramzey!  I bought the AF-S DX VR Zoom 18-200mm f 35-56g lens from Ritz Camera today.  I think that I could leave the 18-55mm f at home when I go on my trip.

If it's the cheap 18-55mm stock lens then you can leave it and preferably get rid of it altogether. However, don't get too comfortable with the 18-200mm alone - it's a nice lens, but the zoom range also requires alot of compromises. My Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 lens is better within it's range than the 18-200, albeit the stabilizer helps alot without support, even though the 18-200mm is 1-2 steps slower. A fast and good lens from 16-75mm range would be a good addition to the lens collection, when you don't need to zoom so far. Makes up for much better portrait and event lens than the 18-200mm.

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2008, 04:21:36 PM »
Noted.  Thank you Fishu.
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 07:30:42 PM »
I have owned a D40X for 6 months, it's my 1st foray into SLR...usually just use a point and shoot.  All the settings confuse me.  I eve bought the field guide for it.  Any suggestions on where one would go for tips?
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2008, 08:34:06 PM »
I have owned a D40X for 6 months, it's my 1st foray into SLR...usually just use a point and shoot.  All the settings confuse me.  I eve bought the field guide for it.  Any suggestions on where one would go for tips?

You could try http://www.fredmiranda.com , under the articles.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 08:41:30 PM »
Rattfink,

excellent choice, you will be very happy with this lens

If it's the cheap 18-55mm stock lens then you can leave it and preferably get rid of it altogether. However, don't get too comfortable with the 18-200mm alone - it's a nice lens, but the zoom range also requires alot of compromises. My Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 lens is better within it's range than the 18-200, albeit the stabilizer helps alot without support, even though the 18-200mm is 1-2 steps slower. A fast and good lens from 16-75mm range would be a good addition to the lens collection, when you don't need to zoom so far. Makes up for much better portrait and event lens than the 18-200mm.

heh, where to start...........
I bet cheap 50 mm f1.8  110$ lens is much better  within range of your tamron and beat a crap out of quality of your 400$ tamron.
Can you compare your tamron to nikon 28-70 and 24-70 F2.8............
But as for compassion to 18-200 you CANT go wide and you cant go telephoto, and all you can get is better sharpness  and nice shallow DOF under f3.5.........
Also how your back/front focusing??? ;-)
More. I bet my tamron is longer then yours.........

Why you mess with him?

Different lenses different purposes
18-200 is perfect walk around multi purpose lens with very good quality for the price. Its Nikon Classic lens.

jollyFE,
First read manual and field guide, then you can start reading and asking for tips here.
Its useful and nice photo community, as usual use "search " there before you ask, cuz i bet 99% of your question was already answered several times.
http://photocamel.com/forum/
I bet there is some sort of photo meet up group in your region. You can search for photobuddies living next to you on flickr.
But most important you have to go outside and take pictures

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:43:11 PM by ramzey »

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 09:16:14 PM »

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

Really... buy this book. Might even want to look at Peterson's other books as well.

Also worth reading, The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby.

For post processing, I got a lot of use out of Perfect Digital Photography by Jay Dickman.

Lastly, Scott Kelby's 7 Point System for PhotoShop CS3 is well worth the $30.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:22:20 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »
NICE LINKS  <<S>>

I signed up on photocamel.com

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 10:16:29 PM »
First pic I took w/ my 18-55mm f lens

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 11:33:07 PM »
NICE LINKS  <<S>>
I signed up on photocamel.com

I use Flickr. It's a bit of a time sink.
sand

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 02:28:12 PM »
Nice first picture Rat!  I would also suggest that you get a decent photoshop program too.  It not only helps with fine tuning pictures but it also makes a great organizer.  I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 02:30:23 PM »
Nice first picture Rat!  I would also suggest that you get a decent photoshop program too.  It not only helps with fine tuning pictures but it also makes a great organizer.  I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0

Photoshop CS3 Extended costs about $300. It's worth it.
sand

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 02:41:04 PM »

Oh, I know photoshop :D

Offline Matador

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 03:45:20 PM »
My family has a D50 its nice but we had to send it in twice to nikon 1st because it would not turn on and 2nd because it would not autofocus, we have a Quantaray 80-300 lens along with the standard one thankfully we got the protection plan from CC so we did not have to pay to sned it in. it is a great camera but the program that comes with the camera is kinda crappy.
Righteous Vengeance
Matador
VMF-222 (FSO)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 03:46:06 PM »
it is a great camera but the program that comes with the camera is kinda crappy.

True. Nikon Picture Project sucks.
sand