Author Topic: AH at Linux  (Read 1781 times)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: AH at Linux
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2009, 06:27:35 AM »
I used the used the new beta release of wine but I'm pretty sure its acees high that has changed with this update and not wine itself.
I installed the old version of aces high pre update but still got the white screen, uninstalled and tryed the new Aces High and it works.
Only issue I had was quitting the game on the way out the mainscreen clipboard background goes transparent (but you can still see all the writing options etc) this only happens when you quit not on the way in. Apart from that everything works vox etc and I was able to map my joystick in game including the hat. I get fps on average of 25-35 but bear in mind this is a rubbish old packard bell about 5 years old this is still a lot better than I had with windows especially around trees and in ack.
The only thing I have to sort is the forcefeed back for my stick while it works ie it centres itself there are no ff effects stall buffet guns etc.

ps scrap the OS is just the latest ubuntu
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:35:21 AM by pervert »

Offline Scrap13

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2009, 01:50:14 PM »
That is cool that it works so well on that old of a machine.. what processor and Vid ram do you have.. Just curious.
The Clipboard on the splash screen does the same thing to me, but that is no big deal... I have to tune a few things down, but I will see if a faster vid card would improve things... I wanted to share some screenshots but I cannot find them or I have remapped the button .. Oh well. this is exciting and it seems that there will be a good following..  :aok

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2009, 03:08:15 PM »
The graphics and that are still of the super mario kind thats probably why the frame rate is so good for an old box. The card is nvidia a real old one from a PC I built (the packard bell when new came with intergrated graphics that caused aces high to freeze) I think its 128mb or more likely 64mb. I'll post you the full spec once the kids have finished playing on it.
Thats quite impressive fps and your machine what kinda specs you running? I'm taking it you have the cool new graphics  :lol

Offline Scrap13

• Zinc Member
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2009, 04:06:08 PM »
Well  I don't have all the cool graphics. But I can play it. I think that a new vid card will enhance performance... here are my system specs from Dxdiag in windows.

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+,  MMX,  3DNow, ~2.2GHz
             Memory: 1534MB RAM
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
     Manufacturer: NVIDIA
        Chip type: GeForce FX 5500

In Game I am running 1024x768 res. textures set t0 128, Advance graphics off, Obj. Detail about 1/2 way, Ground(or Distance) about 1/2 way.. no horizon..

In Windows I have to run the same settings.. to get a steady 30 - 42FPS

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2009, 02:27:04 AM »
Coo! thanks for the update.

I doubt I will be able to run this on my intel onboard graphics but I may try just for the heck of it. On windows I can get ~20 fps off line. I am just wondering how wine will do in comparison.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline chewie86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2009, 07:05:51 AM »
interesting scrap that reminds me i was going to see if i can get AH to run on my 6 year old laptop running linux. 

if it has more than 30 FPs im not responding or talking to another whiner again.

will try on my 7 yrs old desktop after I got it fixed (need new PSU), Was running quite good the 2.12 AH version with cedega, I want to try this new version now just for fun..... Oh and I miss my sidewinder precision pro.
Lube & Shame "peneduro"
My AH2 videos
SDL SEASON 1 Champions:
Loose Deuce
, ~Black Leather & Pink Slippers~