Author Topic: Arena cap  (Read 3323 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: Arena cap
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2010, 08:28:04 AM »
agreed on the rediculous thread but ive seen the cap happen even if there are 100 in orange and 70 in blue. the cap wont go to 200. idk the full idea behind the dynamics for the caps but could someone tell me?
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2010, 08:35:09 AM »
agreed on the rediculous thread but ive seen the cap happen even if there are 100 in orange and 70 in blue. the cap wont go to 200. idk the full idea behind the dynamics for the caps but could someone tell me?

So, 30 people difference?  I guess that's a huge deal.   :x

That's absolutely not true. Caps do have a major impact at off US prime time.

I am facing it every day... at Euro prime time it's not 200vs 140... its often like 150 vs 50... for a long time, not just for a few minutes.
Caps kick in at 7pm local... and arenas are like 180 vs 20 then.

the 200vs140 is often reached only after a few hours.

But like I said before, 7pm local, prime time Euro, is when the caps begin.  When the disparity is at it's greatest.  I think 24 hour caps would keep the numbers closer and one argument for not joining the open arena would go away.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2010, 10:11:21 AM »
I think 24 hour caps would keep the numbers closer and one argument for not joining the open arena would go away.

24 hours caps? So when 100 players are online total before 7pm, you want to set caps to 50?

That's making it worse instead of better. Having only a low number arena available IS our problem. It's not being solved by forcing me to play with numbers as low as that all the time...

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:14:15 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2010, 10:39:33 AM »
So, 30 people difference?  I guess that's a huge deal.   :x
you dont get my point. i am saying that i thought caps interdicted once one arena dropped below 75% or so of the other. i dont really give a crap about the caps and me playing in the arenas. i have fun anywhere i go i just go and find it...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »
24 hours caps? So when 100 players are online total before 7pm, you want to set caps to 50?

IMO 50 and 50 is better than 90 and 10..
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2010, 11:12:39 AM »
IMO 50 and 50 is better than 90 and 10..

No. Because before caps kicks in, there are 90 in an OPEN arena. I can always get there. And 90 players is more fun than 50.  AWwrgwy's proposal of caps on all the time will make it almost impossible for me to get any decent gameplay at all.

Right now I'm at  least occasionally able to play with halway decent numbers about two hours before caps kick on at 7pm. Enforcing caps all the time will take this away from me too, without solving anything or making gameplay or "arena health" any better.

My problem is NOT having to go into a 200 player arena instead of a 300 player one. Things like 200 vs 140 or "all my buddies are in LWO"  is a kind of "luxury problem" of US players.

Allow me to exaggerate a bit:

Sometimes I have the feeling, players like me are paying the price for prime US time arena health and gameplay. Two arenas of 300 are better for HTC growth and gampelay then a single 600 one - no doubt, I have played a lot at prime US time and having to play with "only" 300 or 240 is absolutely no problem.

BUT - once I was able to fly & fight against 200+ players at my prime time. Now I'm often facing 50-80 players only even though 200 are online. THAT is my problem. And it is a very distinct change in gameplay resulting of it. Not for the better...

And that is the reason why I am rather desperately looking for improvements on that whole split arena & caps thing.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:25:41 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »
There are not enough active players at the moment to justify two arenas.  Make it 500 and be done with it.

Wow ... so you're privy to all of HTC's proprietary statistical data ? ... I'll bet Lusche wished he was you ... :rofl
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."