Author Topic: New Ch Combatstick, big problems  (Read 904 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
New Ch Combatstick, big problems
« on: June 13, 2010, 01:31:24 AM »
So, I bought a new stick to go with my throttle last month since I've got a bit of time to actually play now, and went with the old faithfull, since they didn't have any Fightersticks in stock here in Canada.

My issue is that no matter how and what I use to calibrate, my X axis is messed up.  If I input about 20% deflection left, it goes to full roll, like 100% on the screen, in both AH and Windows.  Rolling right and elevator Y axis work perfectly.  As you can imagine this is really messing up my shooting, and it just sort of came out of the blue last week.

I've contacted TECH support at CH, but hoping for some ideas here first.

Gman

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: New Ch Combatstick, big problems
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 02:59:24 AM »
Have you made sure the trim wheels (both behind the stick and to the right) are centered at the detente?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 04:24:46 AM »
yes get in a B17 get in rear gun if it moves on it's own when centered your joystick wheels are out :old:
The joystick wheels are very sensitive, keep moving them slightly until gun stays centered :old:
Have you calibrated in CH software?

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 11:42:42 AM »
If it moves smoothly to 20% then jumps to full, then it's almost certainly a bad pot.  If it moves smoothly to 100% using only 20% deflection, then it's calibration.

The calibration wheels mentioned are an aberration remaining from the days of the analog game port - I don't understand why they even still include them on a USB stick as they provide no meaningful functionality, yet remain a source of significant aggravation if they are moved - even sometimes just touched - after calibration.

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 01:11:59 PM »
I feel retarded, it was the stupid trim wheel.  A bit of crazy glue and that'll never be happening again.  I was SO SO close to reformatting my system too.  That'd have resulted in the stick going to the trap range.

Thanks guys!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 01:56:41 PM »
I feel retarded, it was the stupid trim wheel.  A bit of crazy glue and that'll never be happening again.  I was SO SO close to reformatting my system too.  That'd have resulted in the stick going to the trap range.

Thanks guys!

Don't ever glue the trim wheels to keep you from moving the trim tabs on your Combatstick.  Just take care not to move them because you'll sometimes have to adjust the trim, especially as your stick gets older and the pots wear down.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline CRYPTIC

• Nickel Member
      • 365th-FBG  HELL HAWKS
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 04:08:51 PM »
Also I would use the CH Controll Manager it has better drivers for the gear even if you do not use it to map the sticks up. ACK-ACK can explain this better.
365th-FBG Hell Hawks XO
365th-FBG Hell Hawks

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 04:40:34 PM »
Also I would use the CH Controll Manager it has better drivers for the gear even if you do not use it to map the sticks up. ACK-ACK can explain this better.

With the release of Control Manager 4.5x, it is pretty much reqiured to use it if you want to calibrate your controllers as that's the only place you can calibrate them.  As you said, it doesn't mean you have to use it to program your controllers, you can just use it to calibrate.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 04:59:13 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 07:55:50 PM »
Don't ever glue the trim wheels to keep you from moving the trim tabs on your Combatstick.  Just take care not to move them because you'll sometimes have to adjust the trim, especially as your stick gets older and the pots wear down.

ack-ack

I actually have duct tape over mine. I have "assistant calibraters" <cough> in my house that like to play with them. I usually wouldn't notice this until my first takeoff attempt. While this doesn't make them idiot proof it does make them more idiot resistant. : )

Drano
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 11:08:03 PM »
I've been using 4.51 it works pretty well actually.  God, what a simple fix to what I thought was a return to factory problem, I had truly tried EVERYTHING.  I've had CH gear in the past and never had this problem happen strangely enough.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 06:42:57 AM »
I actually have duct tape over mine. I have "assistant calibraters" <cough> in my house that like to play with them. I usually wouldn't notice this until my first takeoff attempt. While this doesn't make them idiot proof it does make them more idiot resistant. : )

Drano

Hee hee- Ditto on the duct tape, and on the reason (in part - as I've mentioned, even bumping them can be an issue!).  I let my daughter fly from time to time, and she liked to move them when I wasn't looking until duct tape made them innaccessible.  I once put 3 Corsairs in a row into the conning tower of the CV before I realized I wasn't just being unusually stupid in my flying - and then spent a half hour trying to figure out what happened to my rig before I realized what had happened. 

<S>

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 03:56:21 PM »
Hee hee- Ditto on the duct tape, and on the reason (in part - as I've mentioned, even bumping them can be an issue!).  I let my daughter fly from time to time, and she liked to move them when I wasn't looking until duct tape made them innaccessible.  I once put 3 Corsairs in a row into the conning tower of the CV before I realized I wasn't just being unusually stupid in my flying - and then spent a half hour trying to figure out what happened to my rig before I realized what had happened.

Must be one of those things that kids can't resist.  I had the very same problem, and even went so far as to open a support ticket with CH.  The first thing the tech asked was, "Do you have any kids who use your computer?"

:lol

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs