Author Topic: Scaling issue with knob on x52  (Read 651 times)

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
Scaling issue with knob on x52
« on: July 29, 2010, 01:22:19 PM »
I tried to set up scaling on the knobs on my x52 this morning.  One worked just fine but the other one will not center properly when scaling is enabled.  Here are pics of what it looks like:

Scaling disabled

Scaling enabled

I tried calibrating using both the joystick calibration and single axis calibration and it doesn't help.  The input registers fine but it just won't put the scaled center in the right place.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Scaling issue with knob on x52
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:17:51 PM »
We just tested it to be sure it was working and it seems to be fine.  Carefull when calibrating that axis.  Before closing the calibrate axis panel, make sure the number you stop on is 32767.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:34:35 PM »
Why are you trying to set a stick scale for the axis that is controlling your trim?  You only need to calibrate the axis, don't set a stick scale for the trim axis, it's not needed at all and won't give any benefits.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »
Why are you trying to set a stick scale for the axis that is controlling your trim?  You only need to calibrate the axis, don't set a stick scale for the trim axis, it's not needed at all and won't give any benefits.

ack-ack

Because I find it hard to make fine adjustments to the trim around the center position.  There's a detent in the center of that knob and it's damn near impossible to make a fine trim correction on either side of it without going further than you want.  I figured if I scaled the input down around the center position it would allow me to make those corrections.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 04:27:41 PM »
Did you try what I suggested HatTrick?

By the way, are you running the Saitek Control Manager?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
I haven't had a chance to try it yet Skuzzy, been doing stuff around the house and I just popped on to the pc for a sec.

I'm not using the Saitek software.  It's been so long I don't even remember the problem but it was causing me a problem in some game at some time so I just stopped using it.  Any reason I should use it?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 04:55:12 PM »
Absolutely not.  Please do not use it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 05:39:35 PM »
Because I find it hard to make fine adjustments to the trim around the center position.  There's a detent in the center of that knob and it's damn near impossible to make a fine trim correction on either side of it without going further than you want.  I figured if I scaled the input down around the center position it would allow me to make those corrections.

I don't know if scaling will allow you to work around the problem with the detent, it's worth a try.  You can also try to decrease the deadbands to lessen the dead zone around center and also decrease the damping so that it requires less input around the center detent.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 06:43:25 PM »

Aileron trim has always scaled from the bottom to the top when it should scale from the center out, it doesn't matter which driver you use or even what kind of joystick. Are you sure it was the trim axis you tested?

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 06:56:47 PM »
hattrick..try setting a dead zone in the windows controller properties..just the other side of the detent..If I understand the problem correctly.

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 04:33:12 AM »
Tried what you said Skuzzy, no joy.  I did use the deadband idea though to accomplish what I was trying to do.  Still boggled about what is causing the scaled center to be off like that though.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 06:03:34 AM »
Tried what you said Skuzzy, no joy.  I did use the deadband idea though to accomplish what I was trying to do.  Still boggled about what is causing the scaled center to be off like that though.

As am I, as I tried it on the same stick here and it worked fine.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese