Author Topic: convergence  (Read 6067 times)

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
Re: convergence
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2011, 11:14:55 AM »
I've heard conflicting info about icon distance since I've started this game, finally decided to just find out for myself and share the proof here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a40e7j2t9y741bk

The number displayed on the icon is the median of a 200 yard range.

400 = 300-500
600 = 500-700
800 = 700-900
etc.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2011, 11:26:06 AM »
I've heard conflicting info about icon distance since I've started this game, finally decided to just find out for myself and share the proof here.

The number displayed on the icon is the median of a 200 yard range.

400 = 300-500
600 = 500-700
800 = 700-900
etc.

Nice!

That is the basis of the three "sweet spots" I mentioned above--

"Effectively, there are 3 "sweet spot" ranges within the AH convergence limits; 100yd, 300yd, and 500yd.  These are sweet spots because you have the ability to "know" when you are that far from your opponent, because this is the distance where the icon counter changes.  Firing at your opponent when he's at the right distance makes a huge difference (if you can hit him)."  I think 150 may actually be the minimum allowed in AH.

By setting your convergence to either 100, 300, or 500, and firing as the icon counter changes you're assured of getting the most bang for your buck.  Better yet, do as TC mentions and just learn to fire when your target is the correct size. 

As mentioned above (based on the testing I've done) 100yds is too close and 500yds is too far (for max effectiveness), which is why I recommended 300yds as a solid place to start.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2011, 02:22:37 PM »
Sometimes, people expected you to turn or break in the direction they were aiming at.

Other times it's done to force the bandit to break in the opposite direction so they fly into your next burst.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »
Other times it's done to force the bandit to break in the opposite direction so they fly into your next burst.

ack-ack
well that's just downright sneaky  :furious
Lighten up Francis

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2011, 05:12:12 PM »
VERY hard to do though. Some aircraft break in certian directions better, and you'll have to memorize which one breaks which way to even know which direction the bandit is LIKELY to break.

And then theres the fact that each player has his own unique flying style. Some, instead of breaking right or left, will split-S or Immelman. Some will high yo-yo, some will low yo-yo. Some will dive to the deck and try to run, others will go for a rope (depending on the range).
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2011, 05:26:42 PM »

ack-ack

VERY hard to do though. Some aircraft break in certian directions better, and you'll have to memorize which one breaks which way to even know which direction the bandit is LIKELY to break.

And then theres the fact that each player has his own unique flying style. Some, instead of breaking right or left, will split-S or Immelman. Some will high yo-yo, some will low yo-yo. Some will dive to the deck and try to run, others will go for a rope (depending on the range).

out of all the different theorys of what the bandit being chased might do, only one ( well 2 counting the dive, but this can sometimes offer a belly shot ) - the split ess, would offer the lowest probability of getting a "broader view" of the plane........ and even then most will yaw their plane giving a larger target as well as telegraphing their intentions when they go to do the split ess

all the other directions still offer the attacker a chance at a top view  or close to it once the bandit decides to break into a hi or low yoyo or decides to go into a immelman....... instead of just doing a break turn to the right or left

hope this helps

TC

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2011, 06:46:46 PM »
Yes, but I took AKAK to mean that sometimes they will try to guess with you, and, after firing that first burst, begin to aim where they've calculated you're most likely to go. This would mean any deviation from what they expect results in the target being further away than if they'd not tried to guess with you. They then have to shift their nose further to get a shot (by which time the target profile may have gone past its apex  :bhead).

In otherwords, there would be the possibility of the bandit shooting himself in the foot.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Kovel

• Copper Member
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2011, 06:05:42 AM »
I'll tell you what I did to get a noticeable improving in my gunnery effectiveness:

1. Go to the MA and fly as usual. Film every sortie.

2. Then watch the film.

The important work here is JUST study the "firing style" you used for those enemies you shot down through your most "usual and successful way" for shooting them down. Just study your perfect kills, you must have one here and there..

3. For those "your often personal-style-perfect kills" speed down at minimum the speed of the film, and watch in the right window the EXACT distance you started to fire.

4. Set the convergence for that distance.

By this methods you are setting your gunnery to the situations where you shoot the most, and when you get your kills in the easier more personal-fit ways.....

Once you have set your optimum convergence for your optimum way of killing enemies. You must work further and further of this optimum point. Then you have to decide if it is still advisable for you or not, shooting at the enemies at those differents distances.....

Example:

Studing my more comfortable and common kills in the films, I found out that I start shooting enemies over 150-250.

So I set my convergence to 225. After doing this, I started to literally go the tough hogs off with just 0.5 sec burst.

After studying this convergence that works fine for me, I realized that shooting planes closer than 225 is fantastic as well. So I will go for every manoeuvre that puts my plane between 50-225 yards for a devastating shot.

Also I realized that, with this personal convergence, shooting enemies within 300-400 range won't work UNLESS they are flying very steady and I can get a 1-2 secs solution on them. So with my style and personal convergence I will only shot planes further than 300 if I'm pretty sure I can hold them centered about 2 seconds.

And I have discovered, that, shooting further than 400, won't hurt much  planes. SO I don't shoot them at these distances and I'll try to fly my plane to get close to the enemy under my personal range.

So, my suggestion is: Study your convergence for your style, and then, study your style to maximize your convergence.
 :salute
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:11:58 AM by Kovel »
" I personally led the attack to A1" - Pipz