Author Topic: What kind of combat MMO games do you want to see made?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
Re: What kind of combat MMO games do you want to see made?
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2013, 09:25:01 PM »
ok.

Steve Jackson games had a great tactical - strategic paper-n-dice game called 'Starfleet Battles' long ago.
You could launch your Kzinti fighters from your carrier and have them target a single aspect of a Klingon Dreadnaught and they would core it like an apple..
..blowing away the shields in just that sector, then breaching the hull, then eating thru the Dreadnaught all the way to the other side.

Tactics *worked* ..altho doin it with grease pencils and dice took awhile.

If a video game could replicate some decent parameters, ship/weapons mixes .. class distinctions
.. so the players could work up small unit tactics all the way up to Fleet engagements..
..in other words a step directly into the ship from what Eve has done..
...where a starship dreadnaught requires a command crew (like the old school B-17 in Air Warrior needing gunners or you were toast)
..ya .. I'd be there.

In EVE right now the corp I am part of has had war declared on it ..
..and the 'experienced' players advise to stay in station, not go outside ..risk being 'killed'
.. buncha pansies.

I been dead.
It dint take.

-Frank aka GE

'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Weirdguy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2013, 10:15:21 PM »
ok.

Steve Jackson games had a great tactical - strategic paper-n-dice game called 'Starfleet Battles' long ago.
You could launch your Kzinti fighters from your carrier and have them target a single aspect of a Klingon Dreadnaught and they would core it like an apple..
..blowing away the shields in just that sector, then breaching the hull, then eating thru the Dreadnaught all the way to the other side.

Tactics *worked* ..altho doin it with grease pencils and dice took awhile.

If a video game could replicate some decent parameters, ship/weapons mixes .. class distinctions
.. so the players could work up small unit tactics all the way up to Fleet engagements..
..in other words a step directly into the ship from what Eve has done..
...where a starship dreadnaught requires a command crew (like the old school B-17 in Air Warrior needing gunners or you were toast)
..ya .. I'd be there.

In EVE right now the corp I am part of has had war declared on it ..
..and the 'experienced' players advise to stay in station, not go outside ..risk being 'killed'
.. buncha pansies.

I been dead.
It dint take.

-Frank aka GE

Actually, wasn't the older PC game series called Star Trek Starfleet Command basically based on those Steve Jackson games?  I know they simplified the game a bit more with Starfleet Command 3, but from what I understand the game was better for it.

However, I've tried to play them on my windows 7 computer and had no luck getting them to run.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »
Ya . coupla game companies tried to duplicate some of what Steve Jackson Games did ..

..just a shame they folded ..Jackson had some truly fun stuff.

Ogre, Car Wars ..a couple more I don't remember the names of.

-Frank aka GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2013, 08:17:11 AM »
Played Starfleet Command on mplayer client back in the day.  As well as Rainbow 6.  Starfleet was a lot of fun.  
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 08:49:30 AM »
World of Battleships coming out late this year or early next year.
i will play that for sure!
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3