Author Topic: Tom and Jerry were racists???  (Read 1603 times)

Offline puller

• Gold Member
Re: Tom and Jerry were racists???
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »
If they're treated as children's programming NOW it's because stupid people have decided that cartoon = made for kids.

^^^^ This...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 02:19:44 PM »
So just to be clear....

This is racist..
(Image removed from quote.)

but this is not....
(Image removed from quote.)

:headscratch:
First of all, this movie was released ten years ago. It would not be considered acceptable today. It's not really relevant.
Not that it was really considered acceptable back then, either:
"This film received poor reactions from critics. Rotten Tomatoes gives it an aggregate rating of only 15% based on 121 reviews. Film critic Richard Roeper put the film at #1 on his list of the worst films of 2004 amongst claims of (...) racism."

Second, I do not understand why you would say "this was acceptable in the 40's/50's/60's, why isn't it acceptable now?"
Think about what else was acceptable in the 40's, 50's and 60's.
We no longer base what's acceptable on what was acceptable in race relations the 40's, 50's and 60's.
For pretty good reason
Unless you're still really into Jim Crow
and sundown towns
and filling the Mississippi with corpses
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 02:22:38 PM by Motherland »

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 02:47:13 PM »
First of all, this movie was released ten years ago. It would not be considered acceptable today. It's not really relevant.
Not that it was really considered acceptable back then, either:
"This film received poor reactions from critics. Rotten Tomatoes gives it an aggregate rating of only 15% based on 121 reviews. Film critic Richard Roeper put the film at #1 on his list of the worst films of 2004 amongst claims of (...) racism."

Second, I do not understand why you would say "this was acceptable in the 40's/50's/60's, why isn't it acceptable now?"
Think about what else was acceptable in the 40's, 50's and 60's.
We no longer base what's acceptable on what was acceptable in race relations the 40's, 50's and 60's.
For pretty good reason
Unless you're still really into Jim Crow
and sundown towns
and filling the Mississippi with corpses

Are you trolling me or are you serious? Can you please quote me to where I said "this was acceptable in the 40's/50's/60's, why isn't it acceptable now?" I am not saying anything of that sort. I am saying that cartoon is NOT racist. Jerry found himself in a closet and needed to escape so he disguised himself with the materials he had available to him at the time so Tom wouldn't recognize him. How is that racist? It's a disguise. My point is, it is not any more racist than the entire movie produced by the Wayans Brothers which believe it or not (having never seen the film) I don't find it racist either. Its a freaking disguise. Who the F cares. People are too sensitive today and too eager to pull the race card. This world will be such a better place when we quit tip toeing around everyone and worrying about people getting hurt feelioma at the most irrelevant things. But since we live in this politically correct world everyone likes to play the victim that something offends them. Pull up your big boy or big girl pants and move on with your life. This carton and movie should have zero impact on anyone's day to day life. I grew up watching Tom and Jerry and I never ever had the slightest idea that they were "racist". It was a funny cartoon and nothing more.   :old: :furious

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »
Are you trolling me or are you serious? Can you please quote me to where I said "this was acceptable in the 40's/50's/60's, why isn't it acceptable now?" I am not saying anything of that sort.
I apologize, I meant 'you' in a general sense (ihr/вы/whatever) not you in particular. Sorry, English can be clunky.

I am saying that cartoon is NOT racist. Jerry found himself in a closet and needed to escape so he disguised himself with the materials he had available to him at the time so Tom wouldn't recognize him. How is that racist? It's a disguise. My point is, it is not any more racist than the entire movie produced by the Wayans Brothers which believe it or not (having never seen the film) I don't find it racist either. Its a freaking disguise. Who the F cares. People are too sensitive today and too eager to pull the race card. This world will be such a better place when we quit tip toeing around everyone and worrying about people getting hurt feelioma at the most irrelevant things. But since we live in this politically correct world everyone likes to play the victim that something offends them. Pull up your big boy or big girl pants and move on with your life. This carton and movie should have zero impact on anyone's day to day life. I grew up watching Tom and Jerry and I never ever had the slightest idea that they were "racist". It was a funny cartoon and nothing more.   :old: :furious
You're a person who doesn't have to deal with the ill effects of racial insensitivity and racism on a daily basis. That's okay, but please understand that a lot of people do, and it sucks. Just because you've never experienced it doesn't mean that it's fine. You're in a unique position. Please try to consider the people who aren't.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 03:10:06 PM »
I apologize, I meant 'you' in a general sense (ihr/вы/whatever) not you in particular. Sorry, English can be clunky.
You're a person who doesn't have to deal with the ill effects of racial insensitivity and racism on a daily basis. That's okay, but please understand that a lot of people do, and it sucks. Just because you've never experienced it doesn't mean that it's fine. You're in a unique position. Please try to consider the people who aren't.

Believe me I understand racism is alive and well today and frankly it will be until the end of time (as it has been since the beginning of time.)  However, when you cry racism on every little thing you become like the boy who cried wolf. The examples in this thread are NOT racism. At most they are stereotypes and I hate to break it to you but stereotypes are based on reality. Are people really that sensitive that anyone not black portraying to be black offends them? I am being 100% serious here. Please do not confuse what I am saying. I am not saying racism does not exist or that it is acceptable, I am merely saying the cartoon in this example is not racism.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
We had some thing called "The Black and white Minstrals" in the 1960's and early 70's on British television.

They were a band blacked and playing banjo,s

The show stopped in the late 70's not because it was racist but because it was crap :old:

Tom and Jerry was crap as well

"Hong Kong Phooney" was awesome but might be deemed rasist and anti dog because he was portrayed as being stupid :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 03:44:49 PM »
Why can't the world be run by white men only again? It was a lot more fun for white men back then. Now it's racist this and sexist that. Sheesh.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 03:45:08 PM »
They have nothing on OHELL
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
This is not going to end well.

Preemptive lock.  The topic is not appropriate anyway.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com