Author Topic: IJN/IJA, the early war planeset and play balance  (Read 1816 times)

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
IJN/IJA, the early war planeset and play balance
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2002, 06:08:51 PM »
even Mitsu has stated so

Guess that solves that dont it?

Brady I agree, we should have had something worth while before the Kate or rather, had the Kate in the first beta releases!!!!!

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2002, 10:33:30 PM »
Try to find a photograph of a Kate with guns in the nose.

Books can be wrong.

J_A_B

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2002, 09:24:07 AM »
"November 1943; Ki-43-IIb, Twin wing mounted 12.7mm armament, clipped wings which made the Hayabusa's manoeuvrability EQUAL to that of ANY OPPOSING ALLIED FIGHTER"

It had far better manueverbility before the -II version as well, it didnt need clipped wings. Nothing could touch a Ki-43 in low speed handling.

Just remember though, its slow in comparison to Allied fighters, even slower than a Zero. P-40s and F4Fs that hold their speed can fight them, but a well flown Ki-43 could still be a nasty opponent.  

Later
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Chanter

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2002, 06:54:45 PM »
"If you Allied types don't want any opposition, that's fine. You're coming dangerously close to achieving your goal."

Last I checked, "us Allied types" weren't creating the planes for HTC.

I would love to see the KI-43 and KI-84 added.  They are much needed additions to your planeset.  The 43 being quite the capable little jabo plane, and more than an annoyance to early war Allied rides.  The KI-84 was by far one of the more popular planes in WarBirds, giving a BnZ capability to the IJ guys.  Those that thought they had a 400 mph zeke in their hands soon found themselves in a flat spin. :)

We all want and welcome the competition.  One sided fights are about as much fun as killing the drones offline.  The more tools you guys have to work with the better.  I don't welcome comments like "Allied conspiracy" etc.  They are pointless and only get peoples dander up. (well, mine anyway :))

All that being said, I am glad to see the Kate's arrival.  It opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for scenarios, real honest to goodness early war scenarios.

We have enough low production wonder planes already; it's nice to see things moving the other way.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2002, 07:07:30 PM by Chanter »
1841 Fleet Air Arm

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2002, 07:21:07 PM »
Squire-
even slower than a Zero

Not the A6M2....but then again everything I read except this UBB seems to be wrong!

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2002, 01:55:01 PM »
That was a generalisation, but what Im saying is that version to version, for both a/c, the Ki-43 is usually the slower, I leave it to you to look up all the #s.

Its true that the later Ki-43-II was a tad faster than the earliest Zero (A6M2).

Its main opposition was the P-40E, P39D, and P-38F, and F4F over New Guinea, and the Solomons. In China it fought right up untill the end against the USAAF and the RAF although by wars end it was hopelessly outclassed by faster allied types.

Interesting side note, The AVG "Flying Tigers" are oft quoted as fighting "Zeros" over China. Truth was they were fighting Ki-43s, but realised it only much later. China was left up to the IJAAF and the IJN had almost no presence in the CBI war.

Later
« Last Edit: November 01, 2002, 01:58:35 PM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2002, 04:39:17 PM »
Oh yeah, my main reson but failed to mention is that although it may be slower than the zero or faster in later models, nevertheless, it manouvers better at those higher speeds than the Zero! Ever try turning with a fast Ki-43 while chasing it in a Zero? But then again I am refering to my WarBirds days!