Author Topic: Couple GV bugs..so far  (Read 2320 times)

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
Couple GV bugs..so far
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2004, 01:11:31 AM »
Oh, and if you want to be a really sneaky SOB, try doing some reverse-slope ambushes.  Guaranteed to bag you some Tigers if you set them up right.  (AKDesert is the best map for doing this in, btw)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Couple GV bugs..so far
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2004, 08:41:19 AM »
Ahh my favorite tactic..the Ambush. Particularly using the reverse slope.  Sit there engine off listening carefully for the sound of enemy GVs,zeroing in on their general approach. They reach the top of the hill and almost always stop to either survey the area ahead or shoot at your buds in the open. Take aim and BLAMMO pop their turret. (For some reason taking out the turret is the one thing I can manage to do consistantly)
This is especially fun of you choose an amush point a considerable distance from their spawn point. Cause now you know they are pissed cause they just spent 10 min driving only to end up with a useless tank.
this becomes even more fun when someone drives up with supplies for the enemy tank. all o a sudden you see the smoke dissapear then BLAM do it again, smoke dissapears BLAM same thing before he can switch back to his gunners position.

Want to try some real fun? Drive around in an M8 in the middle of a tank battle and learn how to shoot on the fly. Takes some practice but you can get pretty good at it over all but the most bouncy terrains. but only shoot for the turret. and keep going. Often you take the turret out and the diver gets so pissed off he ends up trying to chase you all around with his hull gun.
I've helped many an advance and have slowed many enemy advances long enough for friendly tanks to get into good defencive positions in this way. I just drive along popping turrets and let the big boys comming up behind me finish off the ones that dont chase me.
One time a couple months ago I even managed ot drive right through an enemy GV base with no less then 6 panzers there knocking out the turrets on 2 of em and attracting the attention of a tiger as I drove past. Drove right throught he base and out the other side. A lone panzer started chasing me firing at me but wasnt able to hit me. So I kept going and drove some distance away form the base. found a reverse slope, turned around and shut my engine down knowing how some folks develop tunnel vision here, and waited. Sure enough about 20 seconds later the enemy panzer tops the hill and I fire BLAM taking out his turret. So I start my engine and take off again. him chasing me. And Drive right through his base again and out the other side pinging,, but not damaging enemy GVs as Im going. Right past the very same tiger and back to my own lines. Got a few assists and no kills but it was a hell of alot of fun.

Originally posted by emodin
Oh, and if you want to be a really sneaky SOB, try doing some reverse-slope ambushes.  Guaranteed to bag you some Tigers if you set them up right.  (AKDesert is the best map for doing this in, btw)
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
Couple GV bugs..so far
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2004, 09:09:34 AM »
Hehehe

Yeah, that reverse slope position can net you a respectible amount of kills against the enemy, especially when using the pintle gun as a direction finder.  And it's the easiest way to kill a Tiger when you are all by your lonesome.

In my brief looks at the new AH2 terrain, I'd have to say that I see a lot of oppertunities there for the GV war, especially since the ground seems to more realistically modeled (not a table-top with a lot of hills poking up).  I haven't noticed if there are fewer chances for reverse slope positions, but there seems to be a hull-down location within short hops of wherever you might be.

Then again, some people have learned to use small hills as ways of ranging in tanks, so the overall tank gunnery of the players may improve in general.

One of my squadies loves the M8 for GV wars as well.  The most surprising thing about the M8 is that you can actually kill Tigers in it...if you get REALLY close (less than 50 yards, and you pump a large number of rounds into their side turret/hull armor).