Author Topic: WTG Phillipines!!!!  (Read 781 times)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
WTG Phillipines!!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2004, 09:33:21 AM »
Originally posted by -dead-
Maybe, and then again, maybe not. It's a gamble, but in its favour, by withdrawing their troops, they've withdrawn the single bone of contention - there is now nothing that the extremist groups in Iraq can really gain from the Philippines government.

What about extremist groups in the Philippines?  I expect Abu Sayyaf just learned a valuable lesson in what methods work to force the government's compliance.  I would not be the least bit surprised if Philippinos at home now face increased prospects of kidnappings and highly-publicized, Internet-friendly beheadings.

Pulling out of Iraq early was a myopic decision.  Not only did it increase the danger to other countries in Iraq, but it likely increased the danger to Philippinos at home as well.  

-- Todd/Leviathn
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 09:48:37 AM by Dead Man Flying »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WTG Phillipines!!!!
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2004, 09:36:32 AM »
Christ....Sirloin, DMF, and myself, all agreeing on a subject.  Get your tinfoil hats on and stock up on rations, the end is near...

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
WTG Phillipines!!!!
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2004, 09:49:06 AM »
Originally posted by Trell
The phillipines  is not there to take care of the world, They are there to take care of there people and intrests,  
It is in there intests to pull out of iraq and not piss every one off.

It may hurt us in the long run, or the short run.  But i cant fault them for taking care of there own

Of course. They did what they thought is best for them... but that's not how it should work.
Once sent his guys there, they decided (should made a RESPONSIBLE decision) to support "something" (whatever exactly it was and whatever reasons they had).
Now, if the left the other supporters of that mysterious "something" and put then in danger because if it how would you call them?

I think they should never move their guys from their country and they should never been considered for thisk kind of missions in future.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
WTG Phillipines!!!!
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2004, 09:54:30 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
What about extremist groups in the Philippines?  I expect Abu Sayyaf just learned a valuable lesson in what methods work to force the government's compliance.  I would not be the least bit surprised if Philippinos at home now face increased prospects of kidnappings and highly-publicized, Internet-friendly beheadings.

Pulling out of Iraq early was a myopic decision.  Not only did it increase the danger to other countries in Iraq, but it likely increased the danger to Philippinos at home as well.  

-- Todd/Leviathn

Excellent Post DMF.

Could not have been said better.

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
WTG Phillipines!!!!
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2004, 01:01:36 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying

-- Todd/Leviathn
Abu Sayyaf have been kidnapping people for years - it's how they make their money - so I don't think they've learnt any valuable lesson at all: the only lesson involved with Iraq is teaching your grandmother to suck eggs.

And as far as I know, Abu Sayyaf have had their best (perhaps only) government-related results kidnapping Americans & other foreigners. Based on the past track record, kidnapped Filipinos can expect to be beheaded or just forgotten if their family doesn't pay up. So I think your estimate of the danger to Filipinos being increased is probably an exaggeration.

And the whole thing is a bit apples and oranges - Abu Sayyaf run their operations in the Philippines, and therefore conceding to their demands represents a direct challenge to the authority and sovereignty of the Philippine government. In short, a high stakes game there. Not so in Iraq - which for the Philippines is a very low stakes game, so it's a bit simplistic to really expect the gameplay to be the same.

So was it myopic for the Philippines to pull out of Iraq? Angelo de la Cruz would certainly say it wasn't. I don't think it was - it runs a risk but it seems to be a very small one, but only time will tell.

If you're truly looking for a myopic Iraq-related decision leading to increased danger to other countries in Iraq and increased prospects of kidnappings and highly-publicized, Internet-friendly beheadings, I'd start at the beginning: the invasion itself.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 01:04:20 PM by -dead- »
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
WTG Phillipines!!!!
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2004, 01:23:40 PM »
Originally posted by Trell
The phillipines  is not there to take care of the world, They are there to take care of there people and intrests,  
It is in there intests to pull out of iraq and not piss every one off.

It may hurt us in the long run, or the short run.  But i cant fault them for taking care of there own

Yea, we can`t expect them to do anything for the U.S. can we? I mean after all what did we ever do for them? How many years was it that we financialy supported the little bastiges?
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------