Author Topic: hi  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
hi
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2005, 08:15:34 AM »
Any sudden disturbance of lift or air flow over the wings can cause a stall or flat spin. Were you in a P-51 by chance? To recover from it simply let your joystick settle to it's normal upright position, chop throttle and apply rudder input - opposite of the spin i.e. left spin = right rudder. Once the spinning stops, GENTLY pull back on the stick and apply throttle.

The other issue you may encounter is compression. If you gain more speed than the AC can handle, you simple lose all control. In this case chop throttle and input the X (auto-pilot) key. Once you've flattened out, apply throttle.

DmdMax

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
hi
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2005, 08:15:44 AM »
That is known as a stall.

Recover from a stall:

1. chop throttle.
2. Nose down.
3. Apply opposite rudder to the direction of the spin.

Wait for sufficient airspeed :~150 knots. slowly pull out of dive.

Balsy

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
hi
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2005, 06:23:36 PM »
Originally posted by MasterOfNone
i have a question about diving....i will get up about 6,000 ft. or so and be flying around (trying to get some practice) and go into a dive. to my dismay, i will go into a spin or roll or something. sometimes i can pull out of it if i nose the plane down and pick up more airspeed to work out of it. more often that not, i crash and burn...lol....any suggestions??...TY MOFNONE

you said go into a dive to pick up some speed. How are you going about , maneuvering to gain speed from a dive? walk us thru the mostions.

YOu start  spinning &/0r rolling? is your stick "spiking" in any direction, are you holding the stick forward and possibly causing this by left or right input, because you have your deadband set toooo low?

as for stalls? alierion nuetral, elevator ( nose of the plane ) level to the horizon or slightly lower  power on ( you just wanting to increase airlift over both wings again

Spins are different  "Stalls do not cause spins.  A spin is initiated where the pilot includes or fails to include, rudder, aileron, or power individually or in combination during a stall. Auto rotation occurs from an asymmetrical stall and a skid. There is an abrupt loss of control when leaving the stall and entering the spin.  The untrained pilot will always react instinctively and apply controls incorrectly thus aggravating the spin entry." REFERENCES; AC 61-21, AC 61-67, operating handbook, flight manual

they are easily recoverable by remembering the following:

PARE ( pronounced pair as in "prepare")

Power Off ( cut throttle )
Alierons nuetral ( center the stick )
Rudder opposite of direction of turn/spinning motion until spinning stops, let off rudder , if you go to far it will possibly spin oppisite direction
Elevator forward

as you regain speed ( preferably 150 or greater ) slowly pull out to level flight

this will get you out of most tail / vertical spins

horizontal / flat spins are a little more difficult  but with practice and seat time managable.

with having the inverted flat spin being the worse to recover from...........

practice, practice, practice
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 06:28:14 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
hi
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2005, 07:20:12 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser

Yeah, and there's my favorite; the inverted flat fall. No spin, no rotation, no horizontal airspeed. The 110 is one heck of a flying quirk.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
hi
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2005, 03:04:16 AM »
Just to make things clear:

When you dive you put your nose low so the plane goes faster.

You said you spin out on dive...did you pull up and climb, get slow and then spin out? That would be a steep climb, not a dive?

@iceman i really appreciate your helping so much, but could you order your posts a bit with some paragraphs? i feel like in GDR sitting behind a wall....

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
hi
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2005, 04:07:12 AM »

Yep. Love that one. Especially in Hurricane Mk1 ;).

Recovering from flatspins in Mk1 i learned that in severe cases you can also try lowering your gear in addition to the PARE. I dont know for what reason, but it worked.

Very true.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
hi
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2005, 04:22:55 AM »
Originally posted by Iceman24
If you take a plane like the La7 for example, it is the fastest prop plane under 10K, under 10K that pup will scream, but go over 10K and it goes to crap, handling performance everything

This is not true. The tempest is fastest prop plane in game down low. It costs perks yes, but la7 is only fastest free prop plane, not the fastest. That is an important point, cause otherwise youll hear somebody say again " how could you catch me, la7 is the fastest?".

And i want to disagree on the other statement too. La7 is quite good at 17k, really looses it above 18k though. To say its bad over 10k is missleading.

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
hi
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2005, 04:33:48 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
Yep. Love that one. Especially in Hurricane Mk1 ;).

Recovering from flatspins in Mk1 i learned that in severe cases you can also try lowering your gear in addition to the PARE. I dont know for what reason, but it worked.

It works because the lowerd gear increases the friction the plane imposes to the spin. More lateral resistence to spin, to be more precise more resistence than the spin momentum that is generated by the wings and stabilisers, which is the problem of the spin, gets you out since it slows it down.

Let me try it the other way round: Problem of the spin is that due to the spin the wings and tail fins produce forces that sustain the spin instead of stabilising it or eaven accelerate it. Add a little more friction to the spin so that it just slows down a tiny bit and the forces gernerated are lower, whereas the little friction is enough to slow down the spin further more finally giving you the possibility to stabilize the plane again.

Hope the explanation is understandable.

Offline MasterOfNone

• Zinc Member
hi
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2005, 02:35:46 PM »
to give more details, i will be flying level or close to level at about 5 to 6 k feet. then i nose the plane down to pick up speed. it seems like more often than not that if i "dive" to hard or maybe turn a little bit in the dive, the plane starts rolling going down...not spinning. you can see the scenery rolling around and so forth. if i am rolling to the right, i try to turn back to the left and sometimes (not all the time) i can get it to roll to the left and then it will keep rolling to the left...lol....then back to the right...lol....more rolling...no control, then i go visit Jaque Custo in the ocean...hheheee....i can usually straighten it up IF i nose the plane down and get more airspeed to correct. usuallly by that time im too close to the water and i crash...thats what i am battling with the most right now.....other than the fact that i suck hheee..:)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
hi
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2005, 07:43:41 PM »
whats your airspeed when you "nose over"? If you move the controls too quickly while having very little air running over your wings it can cause you to loose control.

On the other hand if your tooling along at 350-400 and you get this "rolling" as you nose down, you could have a problem with the way your joystick is set-up. You MUST calibrate the joystick first in windows, then AGAIN in the game. Leaving the "Settings" of the joystick set to default for the time being might be a good thing. Also check to make sure your not getting any spiking in your stick. You can check all this in the notebook, joystick,settings section of the notebook. All the input line should be strait across in the "input" window. Move the stick around to see hoe "smooth" your lines move on the input window.

Offline MasterOfNone

• Zinc Member
hi
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2005, 07:58:50 AM »
well i did calibrate the joystick in windows and in the game, but now that you mention it, i think it is my airspeed as i start to nose down. i am probably not going fast enough..:)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
hi
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2005, 05:31:19 PM »
Originally posted by SIK1
AH has it's own vox, no need to use any other. I believe the 2 weeks is from when you register. LOL  Vudak and Iceman your too fast for me
Your two week free trial starts when you connect online.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
hi
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2005, 06:00:44 PM »
Originally posted by MasterOfNone
well i did calibrate the joystick in windows and in the game, but now that you mention it, i think it is my airspeed as i start to nose down. i am probably not going fast enough..:)

You might want to try adjusting your stick scale some too. It helps a lot.

Here's my stick scale if you want to give it a try.  

Ack-Ack's stick scale of uberness.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song