Author Topic: reversals and snapshots  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 08:57:29 AM »
Ever have a pair of F4Us racing in on your six with more E than you? In the training arena, during one of our Engaging Multiple Enemies clinics; CpMorgan and Trumpman vs my P-38J. A barrel roll defense, and doing what the P-38 does best: fighting in the vertical.

Here's a short film.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 09:10:05 AM »
thanks for the films gents. morhpeus thanks for posting, that link took me to a registration page rather than a direct d/l.

both strongly show the importance of good SA, even before the importance of the moves or the gunnery.

edit: very good flying widewing, good to watch. the pair of hogs made one simple and devastating mistake. they both attacked almost in wingtip formation. this produces the effect of only having to 'reverse' one enemy even if it two plane right next to each other. had they seperated by 800yrds the P38's job would at first be twice as hard. saying that, it is more common to find two individuals attacking the same enemy right next to each other than two wingmen working a single bogey correctly. This same mistake can be seen in the first clip i posted where a 109 and a spitfire both attack the F4u at the same exact time.  amazing how often this mistake is made by a pair of fighters on the same team.

If you guys watch Widewings views, he knows what he is doing so perfectly he can start a move and keep looking forward, then 5 seconds later glance up and instantly find the enemy con. he knows where they are going long before even they do.

S!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:23:30 AM by B@tfinkV »
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 10:15:13 AM »
I can't get AH Film Viewer to work.  On mind end, it looks like nighttime, wierd stars, viewer hangs also.

Anyone know the fix?

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 11:36:05 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
thanks for the films gents. morhpeus thanks for posting, that link took me to a registration page rather than a direct d/l.

both strongly show the importance of good SA, even before the importance of the moves or the gunnery.

Here's another TA film. Slapshot is in an FM-2, I'm flying an SBD (Slow But Deadly). Slap rolls in for a bounce and my goal was to evade, and then reverse the situation to the attack. Slapshot stayed in the lufbery too long, possibly to see if the SBD could out-turn the Wildcat.. It can.

Here's the film.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 11:40:12 AM »
Originally posted by Hap
I can't get AH Film Viewer to work.  On mind end, it looks like nighttime, wierd stars, viewer hangs also.

Anyone know the fix?

Beats me.. Give HTC a call or e-mail the Skuzmeister at support@hitechcreations.com

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2007, 04:28:08 PM »
sorry bat, i have to do some work to my site if i want to keep it up. Alot of the links are busted. The films are still up on my server but there is just a problem with downloading them. They work through ftp just not the web. Going to work on them tommorow if i get a chance.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 04:30:47 PM by Morpheus »
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2007, 04:33:36 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Here's another TA film. Slapshot is in an FM-2, I'm flying an SBD (Slow But Deadly). Slap rolls in for a bounce and my goal was to evade, and then reverse the situation to the attack. Slapshot stayed in the lufbery too long, possibly to see if the SBD could out-turn the Wildcat.. It can.

Here's the film.

My regards,

Widewing

:cry
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 11:38:31 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
:cry

Well, you know that the Wildcat doesn't like flaps out for long... :) The huge hit in drag more than offsets the decrease in turn radius. Plus, the Wildcat becomes quite unstable in its roll axis with flaps out, getting worse as you put them down further. On the other hand, the SBD is steady like a brick wall. Slow, but very stable.

Where the SBD falls on its face, so to speak, is in the vertical. It simply lacks the power to sustain a high AoA turn for more than a few seconds. Thus, if you retract the flaps and get the FM-2 into a climbing turn, the SBD will not be able to follow. I suspect you knew this, but were interested in seeing how tight the Dauntless could turn. It turns very small, but very slow circles.

Those tiny, slow circles leave the SBD extremely vulnerable to a second fighter.

Anyway Slap, it's always a pleasure to fly a scrum with you.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 03:37:14 AM »
i have an epic fite of XBat(109k) vs me(190a5) that was 10 minutes of me holding off his experten B&Z slashing attacks.The last five minutes i was down to 1 elevator & using flaps to compansate.

used every tactic i could think of(including pretending to ditch) and it paid off.

Batfink,if you can post the film i will do an in depth AAR if you deem the film worthy for training purposes.

Thnx

**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 09:34:02 AM »
cc morph, i remember 'my darling' well, i d/l last when you first posted it. If i remember correctly there was a real good reversal on a C205, and your SA was excelent to help me learn. thanks

Sirloin - send me the film bud, ill host it for you and PM you a link, would love to see it.

djhayze21 [at] hotmail.com

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 11:28:02 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Where the SBD falls on its face, so to speak, is in the vertical. It simply lacks the power to sustain a high AoA turn for more than a few seconds. Thus, if you retract the flaps and get the FM-2 into a climbing turn, the SBD will not be able to follow.

Interesting - I have never tried that.

I sometimes find myself in a lufbery where I know the other plane is the better sustained turner - but my self-confidence has convinced me that that I can go closer to my planes limit and win the lufbery :)
Then the enemy turns out to be handlings his plane just fine - and slowly begins to catch up on me.
So - if my plane has the power I can start to retract flaps and begin a climbing spiral, and then escape from his guns?
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 11:49:31 AM »
Ideally you'll know your planes relative strengths before you reach that point. If you have an advantage in acceleration and sustained climb you can slow the fight down so you can then take the fight up. As best you can you want to know your rides "hole card" before you push all your chips in.......

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Sirloin
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 01:44:57 PM »
Hotmail aka windows live mail is experiencing trouble on my end, i cannot get to my emails :(

dont know whats up with it, if its not working in a few days i'm switching email companys.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 04:45:15 PM »
Ok..Film sent BatFeek.

Thnx again.

**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
reversals and snapshots
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2007, 05:11:50 PM »
sorted (:

http://www.freeroleentertainment.com/film3.zip

great flying, great fight too. my favorite had to be losing an elevator landing on the hillside then takin off behind the 109

S!