Author Topic: Head on shots too easy  (Read 211 times)

Unlimited

Head on shots too easy
« on: February 29, 2000, 12:58:00 AM »
Whats up with the insanely easy head on kills and deaths.  I thought that these things had been removed from the online flightsim community ages ago.  Gasp...one step forward, two steps back.  It really sucks to to pay $30/month to fly 10 minutes into an engagement to have  a totally  dweeby spray and pray at the merge type of fight.  Come on guys, the fun is in the manuever and set up, not head on spray fests.

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
Head on shots too easy
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2000, 05:20:00 AM »
It takes two to HO.

Avoid the headon shots and use the time and E to gain angles on the enemy.  There's plenty of tactics lessons on the net about this subject.

Let the fool waste his energy in the HO shot and kill him.

Like Snefens says: "Headons are for pilots who don't know what their next move is"

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Head on shots too easy
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2000, 08:33:00 AM »
Removed? then dweebs would fly right at you as a defensive measure...

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Head on shots too easy
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2000, 08:40:00 AM »
There are a bunch of situations where HO is
the only suitable way to conduct a defense.
1 - Low and slow planes should look for
HO to survive hi and/or fast plane attaks.
Of course, if the fast/higher fighter accepts
the HO, he is loosing all his initial tactic
advantage.
2 - When outnumbered, HO is a good tactic
when trying to make a hole to scape.
3 - HOing against less armoured and armed
fighters is a "real" viable tactic also. If
you accept a HO agains F4UC or 190 you'll be
dead for sure.
4 - Hammerhead usually ends with vertical
HOns.
5 - HOns against bombers is a MUST.
6 - If you need to stop a fast wave of
fighters/bombers heading to your sieged base,
you have no time to reverse and catch by
speed those planes. So, HOing them is the
best way to stop the assault (unless you have
a lot of vertical separation in your favor).

As conclusion, HO is a RL feature well
simulated in AH. Its up to each pilot to
accept the HO or to evade it. When I see a
190 pilot trying to HO on my, and I'm flying
(for example) a Mustang, I think anything
but that the enemy is a newby, he knows very
well who has less or no chances to survive.
Of course we need to learn when to use HOs
and when to accept HOs against us.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Head on shots too easy
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2000, 11:50:00 AM »
Who says you have to go with head ons?
I have only done rare HO's (mostly just died on those), and evaded hundreds of others...
Nothing tells you to do the same.

Also, I've never died during evading head on.
So, evade head on, if you don't, don't whine about it, because its your fault.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Head on shots too easy
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2000, 11:56:00 AM »
Hmmmm...... two possibilities here.

1.)<snif> <snif> First and probably the most likely, is that I smell a troll here. Yep sure smells like bait to me. Notice the "handle" only has a single post and they come in here ranting like that right off the bat?

2.) The only other possibility I can think of is that this guys is an old AW pilot flying under a different name (of course I haven't been in the arena's there in ages, but I don't recognize the name Unlimited)cause it certainly reads like the rants of the full realism Big Week crowd. Ok fess up who are yah really?    

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 02-29-2000).]

Unlimited

Head on shots too easy
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2000, 12:25:00 PM »
Ok, Vermillion you got me.  You're right I been hanging around in AW for about 5 years in the FR Bigweek crowd.  I went by UNL and flew for the Bs.  But I stick with my first reaction to head on kills.  All of you so far have posted very realistic and logical replies and I appreciate that, but Aces High, like Air Warrior before it, is a game and head on passes IMHO reduce the "fun" factor.  Who knows maybe the Air Warrior code writers couldn't accurately solve the head on hit problem due to lag, so they just eliminated it and called it a playability concession, but it doesn't mean I'm going to like them.  AH is a fine game and nice upgrade from AW3D and Warbirds. I'll stick around and join the community, and maybe you all will change my mind in this matter.  See you in the sky.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Head on shots too easy
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2000, 12:43:00 PM »
Whelp. I can definately say that Vermillion HAS been able to help me come to terms with HO's here.
 It's been ingrained from years of flying brand "A" and it does take effort to change the habit brought over from there.
 Heck. Now if I see a HO'oner coming at me I say fine! Time to play chicken. I zoom the view out to maximum, watch the bogy that was making a beel ine for me to begin with and when they come within range I let loose.  I win 3/5 times. But that's when I want to bother.
 Mostly I try to avoid them now. IT takes practice - just like learning to do a good lead turn.
 Even so, when furballing low and slow with an enemy bogy or two and along comes a P-51, F4U-1C or FW (or two) and they *only* try for the HO while I'm knife fighting...well, that still irks me when they get it.

-Westy

funked

Head on shots too easy
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2000, 03:00:00 PM »
Firing on the merge is lame.

coyote

Head on shots too easy
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2000, 01:13:00 AM »
I have never been forced into a head on pass LOL. Hell the HO pass is the easiest scenario to avoid in the game  

Maybe you should try to be a tail gunner or something , heheh...

------------------
Coyote

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
Head on shots too easy
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2000, 01:53:00 PM »

Unlimited- Compared to AW, any type of head-on would be "insanely" easy      AW, as we all know, practically begged for a nose to nose merge to be a head on pass.  With such an "insanely" low probability of receiving a hit, there is no reason not to try to fly right through the bandit's airplane.  That will get you killed quickly in AH since there are no artificial limits on hit probability at certain aspect angles.  AH has no hit bubbles, like AW.  You actually have to hit the airplane to damage it.  Most people here are already very skilled at gunnery.  What looks like a spray and pray could likely be a well aimed shot.

In AW you only have to solve BFM and aspect problems after you pass.  Here in AH, you have to start your BFM before you start the fight.  Avoid head-ons at first and as your familiarity with the plane sets and weaponry increase, start adding them to your tactics.

MiG

[This message has been edited by MiG Eater (edited 03-08-2000).]

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Head on shots too easy
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2000, 02:59:00 PM »
I love how deadly head on shots are.

this in fact the only sim I know of that most refuse to accept a head on and with good reason  

after all your holding still with no movement going directly toward the bad guys guns... sounds pretty unsurvivable just like holding perfectly still when slowly running away in a fight you lost  

------------------
CitabriAirbatiC

"There Is No Spoon"
Fester was my in game name until September 2013