Author Topic: my niece is talkin to recruiters....  (Read 1278 times)

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Re: my niece is talkin to recruiters....
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2008, 03:25:34 PM »
The thing about the Coast Guard, at least in Colorado, the recruiters don't really need to "recruit" so she probably won't see them unless she makes an appointment.  To get in you have to consistently call and reaffirm that you want to join because they won't hold your hand.  The Army on the other hand was calling me 2 months after I had already gotten to my unit.  From my understanding only a few thousand people go through boot camp every year and with more people crossing over from other services it's getting harder to join.

Any good recruiter will tell you to talk to all the services before deciding on one, the bad recruiter is the one that will hand her a contract and say sign it.  Another thing, when she gets more into the process and starts getting bonuses and guarantees, make sure they are in writing because sometimes words don't mean a thing.

Also if she definitely wants to be in the medical field there are direct commissioning programs if she gets her doctorate and various other degrees and professions.  Depending on her knowledge she could be a commander or captain straight out of college.  Its all about the route she wants to take.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:29:03 PM by nirvana »
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2008, 05:51:23 PM »
All the military services are great and important, but if she has a choice, go Air Force!   :salute
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2008, 09:13:50 PM »
I was in the Army, and loved it.  If I had my choice of going back to choose a different service, I would still have joined the Army. 

One thing I did not consider was the marketability of the MOS experience after time in service was complete.  Thankfully, someone else was looking out for me, and I was able to choose well with good advice.  It paid off at the end of my time in the service to not have just taken whatever MOS the recruiter was trying to fill at the moment I walked through the door.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2008, 09:36:10 PM »
Abe Lincoln once said 'give me 6 hours to cut down a tree, and I'll spend the first 4 hours sharpening the axe'

I would try to impress upon you niece that after going to college, she would be in a position to give orders rather than take them.   If making a difference is what is important to her, then she should consider what would put her in the best position to effectuate a difference.

But alas, the young want adventure.  Joining the service will provide a good deal of that element, instantly.  She'll probably even find a nice young man in a profession with a considerably higher ratio of men to women.

If she is academically strong, and even if money isn't too terribly constraining, then forget the junior college, go right into the 4 year program at a university.  If she is in Texas, and the top 10% of her class, she is guaranteed admitance.  I hate to say it, but junior college is often an extension of high school, something she probably wants to escape from.  Plus, there's alot of half assed students in junior college, skip it unless she is highly motivated.

I begged my parents 20 years ago to sign my enlistment papers, they declined.  Instead they footed the bill for my university education, thank god in retrospect. 

She will want to make it on her own, and with little means, then the military is a viable option to do so.  Open the option for her, tell her if college is something she would consider, then you will help her pay..if it is an option.

Otherwise, Air Force.  Good luck with whatever.

Dredger

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2008, 12:42:14 AM »
    Air Force. Its not just a job...its like college.

~AoM~

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2008, 01:55:59 AM »
I was in the Army, and loved it.  If I had my choice of going back to choose a different service, I would still have joined the Army. 

One thing I did not consider was the marketability of the MOS experience after time in service was complete.  Thankfully, someone else was looking out for me, and I was able to choose well with good advice.  It paid off at the end of my time in the service to not have just taken whatever MOS the recruiter was trying to fill at the moment I walked through the door.

Yeop ! go w/ something that you can use for civilian life after military service.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline jay1988

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2008, 06:22:46 PM »
Im in the Air Force and i love every moment of it.. You can be in the Air Force and live a real comfortable life

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2008, 09:35:37 PM »
#1 pick: College
#2 pick: ROTC Navy or Air Force
#3 pick: Navy
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »
#1 pick: College
#2 pick: ROTC Navy or Air Force
#3 pick: Air Force
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer