Author Topic: game play  (Read 2513 times)

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
Re: game play
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2011, 12:59:58 PM »
That's why I was often rolling my eyes when I read the "go TA" 'advice' on country channel in game, because sending newbs into an empty TA doesn't look very nice to them...

Agreed, telling new guys to go to the TA is worthless.  The place is empty most of the time.  How much help will they get in the TA when there is nobody there to train them?  Telling them a reliable method of contacting a Trainer would be more useful.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2011, 01:06:07 PM »
Agreed, telling new guys to go to the TA is worthless.  The place is empty most of the time.  How much help will they get in the TA when there is nobody there to train them?  Telling them a reliable method of contacting a Trainer would be more useful.

Or: Go with them. For many things it doesn't need an offical trainer at all. 15 minutes flying around and giving some general hints, or showing them how to jump gunner stations in a buff and how calibrate to calibrate the bombsight can make a big difference.  :old:

I think quite a number of us stuck to AH because we found someone taking us under their wings at an early but frustrating point of our career.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2011, 02:19:02 PM »
Or: Go with them. For many things it doesn't need an offical trainer at all. 15 minutes flying around and giving some general hints, or showing them how to jump gunner stations in a buff and how calibrate to calibrate the bombsight can make a big difference.  :old:

I think quite a number of us stuck to AH because we found someone taking us under their wings at an early but frustrating point of our career.

This.  I remember how the light bulb finally went off over my head when Bug and another AW trainer showed me how to do a lead turn in 1996.  The AH trainers have all this worked out and can teach many more lessons, but frequently new players just need to see some very basic things to get a start.  Takes ten minutes of your own time, a worthy investment.

- oldman

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2011, 03:29:27 PM »

The Official Aces High Trainers

Rolex
AAJagerX
BatfinkV (BBS name: mechanic)
BigRat (BBS name: Big Rat)
Delirium
FLS
Morfiend
Rodent57
Silat
Stogey (BBS name: Stogie)
TC (BBS name: TequilaChaser)

That's because of two reasons. First, we are playing a game for fun and for many, if not most (I include myself in this) the thought of having to train before playing isn't that fun at all. I just wanted to try flying and fighting, not going through any instructional program.
And the other one: Just like with regular arenas - Nobody will go there if nobody is there. That's why I was often rolling my eyes when I read the "go TA" 'advice' on country channel in game, because sending newbs into an empty TA doesn't look very nice to them...

From Vudak - So you're looking to improve.... http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,206017.0.html
There are a few key ways to quickly get better at a sport. I will use hockey as an example because it is my sport and because it is a fairly multinational one at that.

1. You study the terminology of the sport;
2. You watch professional hockey games;
3. You try to emulate what the professionals do;
4. If available, you get a professional to help you one on one;
5. You pay attention to your bad habits the professional points out, and you work to correct them;
6. You practice shooting and skating on your own with a net and some cones;
7. You play against people your own skill level;
8. You play with bigger, better kids as often as you can; and
9. You approach it all with a good attitude.

I was thinking in massively multiplayer terms

Just a heads up.  HTC has given everyone an opportunity to design their own server arena.  Some (not all) of the things we are debating can be tested online.  I was successful already designing a setup where the goal was to resupply bases in a supply line to acheive the tools necessary to cross the "Bridge Too Far".

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »
If your truely at wits end or feel there is something missing that you have some ideas on, you can email HiTech with your concerns/ideas.

It would only be ignored, and frankly Im not at "wits end" over anything. I have no plans on coming back. Besides Ive heard enough condescension from the guy on these boards to not want to hear any in E-mail. I remember vividly how my warnings about the WW1 arena were not only ignored but bashed by the "HiTech is always right" crowd. So what happens? He actually makes a fine arena and nobody ever went in just like I warned. If all those efforts were instead poured into their bread and butter the game would be much stronger now.

Irregardless I have no bad feelings. The genre needs Aces High and I will always hope the game thrives. But unless there are some major changes and re-writes I dont think it will.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »

The Official Aces High Trainers

Rolex
AAJagerX
BatfinkV (BBS name: mechanic)
BigRat (BBS name: Big Rat)
Delirium
FLS
Morfiend
Rodent57
Silat
Stogey (BBS name: Stogie)
TC (BBS name: TequilaChaser)

Yes we have a fine core of trainers. All of who are volunteers with lives OUTSIDE the game. No one could nor should expect to see them flying around in a mostly empty arena on the off chance some one stops by for training.

From Vudak - So you're looking to improve.... http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,206017.0.html
There are a few key ways to quickly get better at a sport. I will use hockey as an example because it is my sport and because it is a fairly multinational one at that.

1. You study the terminology of the sport;
2. You watch professional hockey games;
3. You try to emulate what the professionals do;
4. If available, you get a professional to help you one on one;
5. You pay attention to your bad habits the professional points out, and you work to correct them;
6. You practice shooting and skating on your own with a net and some cones;
7. You play against people your own skill level;
8. You play with bigger, better kids as often as you can; and
9. You approach it all with a good attitude.

For the most part your dealing with kids/gamers here. Have you ever seen a kid/gamer start a new game? They open the package throw the contents on the table/couch/bed grab the CD/DVD insert it into the game system and hit start. If they haven't figured out how and what to do in 15 minutes they hit the "cheat sites" for codes and tips.

Yes  there are those that will look up trainers, or read the site first. If they can make it pass the learning curve those are the players that stay a long time, because to them it is an "interest" more so than a game.

Just a heads up.  HTC has given everyone an opportunity to design their own server arena.  Some (not all) of the things we are debating can be tested online.  I was successful already designing a setup where the goal was to resupply bases in a supply line to acheive the tools necessary to cross the "Bridge Too Far".

and how many players where in your arena? Custom arenas are going to run into the same issues EW, MW, and WWI arenas run into nobody there. I'm sure a few will pop up and become squad type arenas, but unfortunately people go where the people are.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2011, 08:20:55 PM »
Okay, about custom arenas, and the point that I am not able to get across.  At the moment I am more concerned with what I am able to accomplish in SETTING UP the custom arena.  My point is that HTC has given us tools similar to what they use to make the game playable (of course we have no where near the control).  If we take more time working with these tools and seeing what can and can not be done "easily" we might have better suggestions to offer.

If I did get my server up and left it up, with very little effort I could fill it up.  If you haven't noticed there has been an awesome group of guys doing just that.  It is called SSO, and was the most fun outside of hanging with my MA friends other than flying some really well put together scenarios and my beloved AvA. 

As for the trainers, I usually find 1 of those guys on just about anytime of the day.  I thought they had a "bat signal" channel or something setup, to request trainer's attention ( I am probably mistaken).

Back to how all this could be incorporated in the AH2 package, here are just a couple of wild ideas:

When game is first loaded there is an option that asks if this is your first installation.
You say yes and it very briefly explains that you will need perks to fly certain highly sought after aircraft in the Main Arena.  It then it gives you the opportunity to earn perks by clicking next >  you do and you are put into a training environment that explains who and how to get ahold of AH Training CorpsYou then achieve more perks for doing any number of things that should be considered essential for beginning the game...  Joystick modes and selection, button mapping, mouse and voice options, game sounds and head movements.... so forth and so on.

I think you can see where I am going, by adding perk points any user would feel they are gaining something of value and if they learn something on the way, win win baby.  Okay, so you are still headstrong and think you know it all and only grab the initial perk points.  You start playing the game and the Tempest is dangled in front of you but, you find out you are a few perks shy.  The training options will be there until you complete them all.

Another thing, I had 4 kids and if you want to know, I have found more walkthroughs and code sheets on just about every gaming title they owned.  Youth are the masters at exploring the tools for quick learning curves.  They were raised in the impatient world of instant gratification, and know a good deal when they see one.

This is how you encourage even the most resistant player to actually read the training notes instead of clicking and receiving the rewards.  You give them a specific word located in a specific phrase to gain the password to release their perks.  For example the 10 th word in the fifth step for joystick calibration.  The amount of time they take to locate the specific password will attract almost any eye to some useful information.  << Sneaky huh?  :D

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2011, 09:30:21 AM »
It would only be ignored, and frankly Im not at "wits end" over anything.

Well your loss. You should never assume anything.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2011, 10:04:04 AM »
Well your loss. You should never assume anything.

I don't mean it as a slap against Rich, but when the gist of your standpoint is 'completely redo most of the game', I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation that you will be ignored.

The WWI was doomed from the start, but I do like the idea behind implementing it.  I just wish they'd bring the better damage model into the WWII arena.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2011, 10:14:29 AM »
Hmp.  Doublepost.  First time for everything, sorry folks.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:41:09 AM by Wiley »
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Bring in the Zeppellin to wake up WWI.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2011, 02:20:46 PM »
It's more likely that many players don't WANT to fight.
This is the problem, and their lacks enough incentives to encourage players to take the risk to fight other players. For many, they achieve the same sense of accomplishment if they milk run as they receive from taking a defended base.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2011, 02:24:03 PM »
This is the problem, and their lacks enough incentives to encourage players to take the risk to fight other players. For many, they achieve the same sense of accomplishment if they milk run as they receive from taking a defended base.

If they receive the same sense of accomplishment from a milk run as a fight..... then they are the problem not the game.

They should be playing MSFS. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2011, 02:12:43 PM »
I don't mean it as a slap against Rich, but when the gist of your standpoint is 'completely redo most of the game', I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation that you will be ignored.

The WWI was doomed from the start, but I do like the idea behind implementing it.  I just wish they'd bring the better damage model into the WWII arena.

Wiley.

Its been my experience, and Ive been around a fairly long time, that any input I put in would be ignored.

They did a major graphics redo 3 years ago so why not another one in the next year ? 3 or 4 years is an eternity in PC gaming and I dont think just introducing new vehicles is enough. Ahhhh, its terrible what the console crowd is doing to the flight componant in many games. There are only a few where you can actually fly against others in multi-player, and of them all AH is unique. It would be a dang shame to see it sink even lower player base-wise. Where else can you find so much of WW2 history sitting in the hangars ?

A new look, a new engine, some new maps, and new energy? I'd bet it would draw the old crowds back.
Yes, your on "Ignore"