Author Topic: Time for a new book  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
Re: Time for a new book
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 06:28:36 AM »
Bringing the Thunder: The Missions of a World War II B-29 Pilot in the Pacific.   By: Robertson Jr., Gordon Bennett
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline cp101

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »
The good war, an oral history of ww2 by studs terkel. Tanks, infantry, pilots, civvies, pacific, europe, russia and all that good stuff. Great book.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 03:31:12 PM »
There's something about Bradley, I don't know what, but I don't like his writing style.

It's strange as hell, but I really didn't like Flags Of Our Fathers.

I know what you mean.  Flyboys and Flags were good books, but not my favorite, and hard to push myself to read through at a good speed.

Samurai! by Saburo Sakai - I know it's not NA or ETO, but I read this book last summer, and it is my favorite "new" book that I've read within the last year.

I'm currently going through Hell Hawks! by Dorr & Jones - it's a good read so far, but a bit more detached and an over-head "recounting of the official record as it was laid" than I like, I wish it would just get a notch more immersive or personal with the men that together they made up the unit as a whole, but I've barely gotten halfway through it (I've been busy as hell so I'm getting through less than a chapter a week since the holidays ended, I wish I had more time to give it a solid reading).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 10:53:13 PM »
Fire In The Sky: The Air War In The South Pacific

Its an excellent book that details the triangle (The air war between Moresby, Rubaul and Guadalcanal).

It gives excellent eye account and observations of just how bad the pacific was.

I also suggest with this:
Touched with Fire: The Land War in the South Pacific
JG 52

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 10:57:42 PM »
Has anyone read Rommel's book and how does it rate?

I have quite a few books written by or about Rommel - either his aid or one of the officers that worked for him, all were extremely excellent reads.

His Dairy is one thing I charish the most, you can read the fatigue that takes over him - talks about forgetting to write to his wife or eating.
JG 52

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2012, 01:31:18 AM »
Raid!: The Untold Story of Patton's Secret Mission By Richard Baron, Maj. Abe Baum, and Richard Goldhurst.

Amazon.com

Turns out Patton's Son-In-Law was in a German P.O.W. camp....

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay