Author Topic: MAJOR stick spiking problems  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
Re: MAJOR stick spiking problems
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 09:13:47 PM »
Shakes head, with empathy.

I sent my son off to Texas Tech in the fall with a touch screen laptop with Win 8.1 loaded.  We're almost back on speaking terms.  He hates it.

I'll sit on Win 7 64-bit for as long as I can.

Is MadKatz/Saitek going to refund your money?

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »
Shakes head, with empathy.

I sent my son off to Texas Tech in the fall with a touch screen laptop with Win 8.1 loaded.  We're almost back on speaking terms.  He hates it.

I'll sit on Win 7 64-bit for as long as I can.

Is MadKatz/Saitek going to refund your money?

:salute

I'll have to call them back tomorrow. They made a couple more recommendations, then had to hang up as they were closing for the day, but I doubt I would get anything. The hardware is fine, they just don't have software that works with Windows 8.

I REALLY don't want to have to go install a new OS, but I don't want a $200 paperweight either. Anyone have any recommendations on how to install 7 with the least background crap possible?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 12:11:49 PM »
Anyone have any recommendations on how to install 7 with the least background crap possible?
Use a generic installation media. That will give you the plain vanilla Windows unlike the bloated systems of any brand. I just installed one and it had 39 processes running. On my own rig I have about 30.  www.blackviper.com is a good starting point in reducing background processes, but you'll also have to look at how you install additional stuff like Flash Player, PDF reader, printer, whatever - even your motherboard driver cd is probably bloated with unnecessary stuff! Drivers are necessary, everything else is mostly just shiny junk. When installing anything do a custom install, carefully thinking about every checked option and unchecking those that you really don't need. After installing anything look at its settings/options/preferences and set them never to automatically to look for updates. Also set them not to start at Windows startup.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 02:39:48 AM »
Automatic update from microsoft other day screwed my sound card up

should read update properly Creative update from microsoft :cry
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 01:04:44 PM »
Thanks for the help gents!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 02:20:03 AM »
Automatic update from microsoft other day screwed my sound card up

should read update properly Creative update from microsoft :cry

Word of advice: disable the driver update from your Windows update settings. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2500967
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone