Author Topic: Mass Rook Defections  (Read 966 times)

Sn1p3r

Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2000, 01:00:00 PM »
Lets clear this up once and for all! ... The only reason the Wrecking Crew and Musketeers moved to the Nits is becuase they have a better dental plan!  

-Sn1p3r

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2000, 01:21:00 PM »

Originally posted by Sn1p3r:
Lets clear this up once and for all! ... The only reason the Wrecking Crew and Musketeers moved to the Nits is becuase they have a better dental plan!  

-Sn1p3r

And God knows you guys need a good dental plan!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2000, 01:53:00 PM »
ROFLMAO!

Too funny. Hey Rip... just say 'NO!' to rooks.  

Hang (Last time i tell Bubba to "bite this!")
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2000, 02:54:00 PM »
Minotaur, I think what you say is true, but across the board.

I have seen all sides gloat at their wondrous prowess when unopposed.

I have been on the receiving end of vultches and gangbangs from every side. No side is innocent.

Only two things are sure on any night; one side will be mobbed, and the the other two sides will be doing it.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2000, 07:28:00 PM »
I have 2 observations:

1.  Having a very desireable field gives the furballers a place to congregate and beat the crap out of each other.  This is a good thing IMHO.  It also lets players who value "strat" and field capture do their thing away from the main ruckus, so quite a bit of field capture can go on away from the furball near A1.

2.  Shut up and kill.  If you're outnumbered, your K/D and K/S WILL GO UP over time.  It's called a target rich environment.  Of course, you can't be stupid about it...  If the field you insist on rolling from is capped by 20 bandits, you're probably not going to survive very long.  If however you can get 2-3 friends to follow you to a large gaggle of enemies, you're going to start racking up the kills.

FWIW, the squealing Pigs got whatever reputation we have over the years by working well together under all circumstances.  The guys in my squadron have no problem whatsoever taking 4 pigs into double our numbers of enemies, and we honestly expect to kill everyone and RTB.  It's not that we're that good individually (although some pigs really ARE that good), mostly it's because we watch each other's back and don't all go chasing after the first bandit we see.

Example - 4 pigs fly off to find a furball.  One pig gets killed shortly after takeoff by a flakpanzer (I can't resist strafing those things), so he replanes and chases off after the other 3.  Soon, the lone pig hears radio calls about a furball the 3 pigs are involved in, so he uses WEP to catch up.  Instead of flying direct at low alt though, the fourth little piggy grabs some altitude enroute so he's not useless when he shows up.  Sure enough, the 4th pig arrives and sees only 2 piggies left alive, but they're both in offensive positions.  What does the 4th little pig do?

Does he -
1.  Dive in and try to get a quick kill
2.  Scope the situation out and intercept the bandit just entering the fight from med-high alt?
3.  Wait while the high bandit dives on the 2 pigs (blowing all his energy in the process) before diving in to kill the now low energy bandit?
4.  Find a low bandit being chased by a dozen friendlies and join the chase?

Most pigs will automatically choose #2, because as a general rule we trust each other to provide cover and 6 clearing instead of everyone chasing after the low bandit hoping they luck out and get the kill.  Most of the people who whine about being outnumbered are the ones who gaggle about chasing after low enemy runstangs, then act suprised when they get picked off one by one as they're drug under a cloud of higher bandits.

What the cluebird is trying to say, is that when you're outnumbered, working together even just a little bit can result in consistent multiple-kill sorties and a much better chance that you'll RTB to land your kills.  On top of that, being outnumbered means that there are more stupid bandits to kill (all bandits are stupid, otherwise they wouldn't be bandits duh)  

It's a little tougher sometimes when your country is outnumbered especially if you're only in it for the field capture or strat elements of the game.  If you're in it for the air combat however, being outnumbered is the way to go.  If necessary, just grab a stang, climb to 50k, and motor around looking for single bandits away from the main fights (remind anyone of eman?).  Your kill/hour will probably be pretty low and you'll have to run away all the time (remind anyone of eman?), but you'll survive and probably rack up a number of kills along the way.

I of course prefer to get a few friends and dive into the nearest furball, but that's just 'cause it usually works.

------------------
eagl <squealing Pigs> BYA
Oink Oink To War!!!
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2000, 11:16:00 PM »
LOL Eagl!

Nice treatsie on how to fight in an arena enviornment.

I take it yah didn't like Eman?? My favorite meal. Takin him down was always a rip. "You salamander! You just wasted a 23 kill streak!!"

LOL!

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2000, 09:37:00 AM »

Originally posted by Kieren:
Minotaur, I think what you say is true, but across the board.

I have seen all sides gloat at their wondrous prowess when unopposed.

I have been on the receiving end of vultches and gangbangs from every side. No side is innocent.

Only two things are sure on any night; one side will be mobbed, and the the other two sides will be doing it.

CC Kieren!  Your re-comments show wisdom.

I think possibly the new map has more to do with it.  It seems to draw the fight to the NE for some reason.  Maybe it is as simple as the NE sector has horizontal and vertical borders, which are easier to define.  The South and West sectors border is on a diagonal.  Makes you feel like you are attacking upward, vice downward.  

IMO global gloating shows bad taste, particularly if my team has numbers.  However; I might gloat a little in private even if I realize the reason why......  

Good Luck and Thanks!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
Mass Rook Defections
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2000, 10:16:00 PM »

If anyone is interested I did a little checking on scores for Tour 3 (16/4-2000 11:00 EST). They showed that:

41,2% of Bishop's engagements were against Knights (8830/21416).
58,8% of Bishop's engagements were against Rooks (12584/21416).
0,009% of Bishop's engagements were against Bishops  (2/21416).

40,7% of Knight's engagements were against Bishops (8830/21684).
59,3% of Knight's engagements were against Rooks (12854/21684).
0% of Knight's engagements were against Knights (0/21684).

49,5% of Rook's engagements were against Bishops (12584/25442).
50,5% of Rook's engagements were against Knights (12854/25442).
0,016% of Rook's engagements were against Rooks  (4/25442).

I am always Bishop myself.

I decieded to do a little recheck on the scores. I looked at current numbers (21/5-2000 22:30 EST) and subtracted them with the numbers above here. That way I got result from the last small week:

58,9% of Bishop's engagements were against Knights (8531/14475).
41,9% of Bishop's engagements were against Rooks (5942/14475).

77,4% of Knight's engagements were against Bishops (8531/11028).
22,6% of Knight's engagements were against Rooks (2479/11028).

70,4% of Rook's engagements were against Bishops (5942/8439).
29,6% of Rook's engagements were against Knights (2497/8439).

I still fly only Bishops, and agree to what some say here that having A1 is actually more of a disadvantage. Not only does it draw attention from the two other countries, but more importantly most of your country men seem more interested in attacing OUT of this field than defending your back land that is being overrun unopposed.  

------------------
Ltn. Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"