Author Topic: TaxDay  (Read 1303 times)

Offline LoneStarBuckeye

• Copper Member
      • http://None
TaxDay
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2002, 09:32:37 AM »
Fd Ski:

I am anything but idealistic.  I am a realist.  When I say that there are rewards more important than money, I am simply stating the obvious: that some people (e.g., teachers who love their jobs), must value other things over money, because otherwise they would not have chosen their professions.

I do not do what I would do if money were taken out of the equation.  If money were no object, I would be the engineer that I trained for 8 years to become.  I made the decision, however, that financial security was more important to me and my family than to have a career that might be more personally rewarding than the one I currently have.  Everyone knows the rules.  Everyone knows that when they decide to become teachers or social workers, they are not going to make a lot of money.  Our market economy generally offers full and fair disclosure in that regard.

I'm happy to hear that you'd be willing to pay another 10% of your income to insure a safety net for YOU.  That's great.  Obviously, as indicated in an earlier post, you could afford to purchase such security for yourself.  That's not the point of wealth redistribution through taxes.  The point is that you would be paying that extra 10% to purchase the safety net for someone else who could not afford it himself.

Do I think that everyone has a responsibility to his fellow man?  Yes.  Do I think that eveyrone has a responsibilty to do what he can to see that the people in his community that are truly in need have enough to eat, a place to sleep, and proper medical care?  Yes.  Do I think that the government can choose more wisely than me how to spend my money to address those convictions?  Emphatically, NO!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
TaxDay
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2002, 11:10:09 AM »
Let's see...

You would trust "government" to take your money and provide a "safety net" long term care policy for you...

... but you wouldn't trust that very same government, through its insurance regulators, to make sure you "got what you paid for" from an insurance company that sold you a much better long term care policy for (most likely) far less money?

I've got an idea.. why not allow both sides a choice. Guys like you can opt for a government run program that you yourselves pay for through taxes.

Guys like me can elect not to participate and I'll buy my own long term care on the open market. I'll swear NEVER to use your governmental system, too.

:D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
TaxDay
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2002, 12:34:15 PM »
Originally posted by fd ski

You're confusing the results with the cause.
:)

Civil worker, as in the lady who takes care of homeless, lectures alcoholics, deals with dugaddicts, and wipes the bellybutton for the low income old lady who can no longer care of herself.

No I am not confusing anything. As I said, market place should decide how much your work is worth.

The last thing I want is the government to decide the value of my work.

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
TaxDay
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2002, 12:41:55 PM »
Originally posted by fd ski

If you don't trust government, how can you trust a company ?

Funny, bacause I frequently use the same argument backward.

"If you don't trust a company, how can you trust the government?"

That's why:

The companies don't have an army of armed goons like IRS, whose sole purpose in life is to harass you by accusing you of cheating, taking away and selling your property and then leaving it to you to go to courrt to prove you are innocent. Even if you prove it, your property is gone and they owe you nothing.

Remember the stories surfaced during the alleged "IRS (we need to make an IRS customer friendly) gunk reform".

The companies do not have jails to put you in if you respectfully decline to use their services.