Author Topic: More reparation nonsense  (Read 3308 times)

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2002, 09:14:07 PM »
Would it matter how many of your relatives were slaves.  Say if someone had 5 great, great grandparents that were slaves versus someone who had only 1 great, great grandparent slave.  Would the 1st guy get 5 times more money?  I bet there's 1 lucky SOB with a dozen or so.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2002, 08:02:45 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
MT how much money do you, as the white devil,  owe your black sons and black wife for slavery?

Answer the question, I want a number on what you as a liberal type feel you should give them for slavery.

Don't dodge this question you popsicle! :D  A number as in number of dollars.....

They suck every penny out of me now Grun. :p

Go back and read every one of my posts. Where did I say we owed anything for SLAVERY. Bet you can't find it.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2002, 08:29:03 AM »
two points... my grandfather came here from Scotland so we had nothing to do with slaveholding in the U.S. and.... the followers of farrakhan are likely not able to trace their ancestry even that far.
lazs

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2002, 04:55:44 PM »
Originally posted by Wotan
The southern and frontier dirt farmers suffered as a result of slavery.

Yup, they sure were stupid to die defending it.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2002, 09:07:01 PM »
Montezuma,

It pains me to see that you have been taken in by Northern propaganda.  :D

Ask yourself this question:  Why would poor white farmers in the Southern states risk their lives to defend slavery?  It would be well to remember that the elimination of slavery did not because a major goal of Lincoln and the Republican Congress until the end of 1862.  By that time, the war had already been raging for the better part of two years.

The Southern state governments were more afraid of a Northern controlled Congress which would pass economic and tariff laws that would benefit Northern manufacturing but hurt Southern trade.  South Carolina threatened to secede as early as 1828 over passage of the Tariff of Abominations.

It was Republican Congressional election victories as much as Lincoln's election that threw the Southern States into a panic in late 1860.  Majority control by the North in both houses of Congress had grown so strong that Southern representatives could no longer hope to block legislation detrimental to their economic interests.

Slavery was definitely a major issue, but the abolitionist movement had not yet garnered enough sympathy in the North to force Congress to write legislation to eliminate it.  Northern legislators were more concerned with the passage of legislation that would benefit Northern manufacturing and trade interests.

The secession crisis of late 1860 and early 1861 was the inevitable result of the doctrine of state's rights , which was embraced by the South as a defence against Northern control of the government.  Refutation of that doctrine, and restoration of the Union, was the main goal of the Northern government and of Abraham Lincoln.  The elimination of slavery only became a goal after the Battle of Antietam, when Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation at the request of Frederick Douglass, a move which Lincoln made to place the North's war effor on a higher moral footing to bolster support by the North's dispirited population, with an eye to preventing the entry of Britain into the war on the side of the South.

The average, non-slave owning Southerner fought to defend their home states in a struggle that some called the War of Northern Aggression. They had little to gain by defending slavery.  They fought out of a sense of patriotic pride in their native states, which was a very real and powerful emotion in those days.

The romantic fascination with the noble war that ended slavery often obscures these other factors that led to the start of this bloody spectacle.  Slavery was the great sin of early American society, but it was not the only cause of the Civil War.

Regards, Shuckins

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2002, 09:09:43 PM »
Dang!  I've got to proofread my posts before hitting the submit button!:o

Shuckins

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2002, 08:39:13 AM »
I was a "native american" for a while on my last home loan.   They asked me what I was and I replied... "what is popular this week?"   She said.... "well... uh.  native american is good right now."...  I said..."put me down for that."   "but... are u native american?"  she queried...   I said... "prove I'm not ya friggin bigot."    
lazs

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2002, 08:41:53 AM »
Like to get Jimmy the Greek's take on this :)

If we end up paying , (nowadays I rule nothing out :rolleyes: ), I think we could then demand reparations from the multi million dollar african american athletes who owe their superior athletic ability to genetics created by the slave master through years/generations of breeding only the strongest and fastest for his plantation

:)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2002, 08:59:31 AM »
when was the last time you heard a black man complain of the bigotry associated with saying that black people have bigger noodlees?   Or that black people make superior athletes?   When I was fooling around with boxing... we all knew black guys had harder skulls.  It didn't seem prejediced (not that we cared) but it was a simple fact.   Later.. when I would mention this...  I would cause liberals to go into a hissy fit... Now... NASA is researching black astronouts because their "bones are denser" and being in space causes bone loss.
lazs

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2002, 09:45:40 AM »
Just for the record,

If someone is going to give people money out of my pocket, for something that happened when I wasnt alive, I will not tolerate it.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2002, 02:25:06 PM »
Originally posted by Shuckins
Montezuma,

It pains me to see that you have been taken in by Northern propaganda.  :D

I knew I could hook at least one revisionist :)

Ask yourself this question:  Why would poor white farmers in the Southern states risk their lives to defend slavery?  It would be well to remember that the elimination of slavery did not because a major goal of Lincoln and the Republican Congress until the end of 1862.  By that time, the war had already been raging for the better part of two years.

So all of the violence and killing leading up to the war had nothing to do with slavery either, right?

The Southern state governments were more afraid of a Northern controlled Congress which would pass economic and tariff laws that would benefit Northern manufacturing but hurt Southern trade.  South Carolina threatened to secede as early as 1828 over passage of the Tariff of Abominations.

The economic law the south was afraid of was abolition of slavery.   They didn't secede over tariffs.

It was Republican Congressional election victories as much as Lincoln's election that threw the Southern States into a panic in late 1860.  Majority control by the North in both houses of Congress had grown so strong that Southern representatives could no longer hope to block legislation detrimental to their economic interests.

Economic interest of plantation owners, slavery.

Slavery was definitely a major issue, but the abolitionist movement had not yet garnered enough sympathy in the North to force Congress to write legislation to eliminate it.  Northern legislators were more concerned with the passage of legislation that would benefit Northern manufacturing and trade interests.

Legislation outlawing slavery in the territories.

The secession crisis of late 1860 and early 1861 was the inevitable result of the doctrine of state's rights , which was embraced by the South as a defence against Northern control of the government.  Refutation of that doctrine, and restoration of the Union, was the main goal of the Northern government and of Abraham Lincoln.  The elimination of slavery only became a goal after the Battle of Antietam, when Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation at the request of Frederick Douglass, a move which Lincoln made to place the North's war effor on a higher moral footing to bolster support by the North's dispirited population, with an eye to preventing the entry of Britain into the war on the side of the South.

The state right they were most concerned with was slavery.

The average, non-slave owning Southerner fought to defend their home states in a struggle that some called the War of Northern Aggression. They had little to gain by defending slavery.  They fought out of a sense of patriotic pride in their native states, which was a very real and powerful emotion in those days.

I can also sympathize with German soldiers in the 1940s who did their duty to defend their country.  Their cause was also wrong though.

The romantic fascination with the noble war that ended slavery often obscures these other factors that led to the start of this bloody spectacle.  Slavery was the great sin of early American society, but it was not the only cause of the Civil War.

The romantic fascination that the south has with the civil war often obscures that fact that if slavery was not an issue, there would not have been a civil war.  :)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2002, 02:42:49 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I was a "native american" for a while on my last home loan.   They asked me what I was and I replied... "what is popular this week?"   She said.... "well... uh.  native american is good right now."...  I said..."put me down for that."   "but... are u native american?"  she queried...   I said... "prove I'm not ya friggin bigot."    
lazs

Absolutely shrecking priceless.

Gotta wipe this coffee off the monitor. :D
sand

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2002, 09:30:19 AM »
sand... that story is absolutely true and recounted word for word to the best of my recolection... except for the last line being cleaned up a little for the tender sensibilities of this BB.
lazs

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2002, 01:03:50 PM »
Even better. :D
sand