Author Topic: More reparation nonsense  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2002, 12:47:28 PM »
Oh okay, so we're the stupid ones, because you can't tell the difference between the huge fediddlein land mass to the north of you, and a relatively small island in Europe.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2002, 12:48:44 PM »
The US government withholds opportunity and property from me every 2 weeks.  Sumsqueakes call it income tax.  Where's my @#$@#$ reparations?

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2002, 12:58:59 PM »
Has anybody else noticed that gofaster, Eagler, Nifty and Wotan- the most outspoken against repreations for African Americans- all live in Florida, a State that allows the whipping of children? Intresting.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2002, 01:14:49 PM »
Originally posted by Elfenwolf
Has anybody else noticed that gofaster, Eagler, Nifty and Wotan- the most outspoken against repreations for African Americans- all live in Florida, a State that allows the whipping of children? Intresting.

Its not "whipping", its "whupping", you ignorant Californian!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2002, 01:19:25 PM »
Wotan...this isn't just about the United States..it is about world-wide reparations.  The blacks in Bermuda are calling for reparations just as loudly as the blacks in the US.  

Also, as mentioned above, it isn't just the British who were responsible....the Spanish actually should bear the brunt of resposibility for the slavery in the colonies...followed closely by the Dutch and the Portugese.  The British IMHO are a distant fourth for that particular honour...and in fact the British, as already mentioned DID SOMETHING about slavery when it was deemed immoral and illegal.  They sent their navy out to put an end the whole damn slave trade!

Why is everyone so hell bent on blaming the British these days for everything?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Elfenwolf

• Silver Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2002, 01:26:45 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster

Its not "whipping", its "whupping", you ignorant Californian!

No, Gofaster, it was "whipping" as in a bull whip. Basically it's OK to whip African American children in the State of Florida to the point where you can cause permanent scarring provided its your kid ... What are you going to do next, cut off their feet if they try to run away to escape the whippings?

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2002, 01:36:43 PM »
Originally posted by Elfenwolf

What are you going to do next, cut off their feet if they try to run away to escape the whippings?

No, Elfie, they are going to make them take Bungee-Jumping lessons with you!  :eek:

Cobra

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2002, 01:40:45 PM »
HEHE!
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2002, 02:38:48 PM »
'Oh okay, so we're the stupid ones, because you can't tell the difference between the huge fediddlein land mass to the north of you, and a relatively small island in Europe."

Well... that's not the only reason you are the stupid ones but it's a start.   I do give you credit for driveing on the correct side of the road tho.

elf... But... wasn't the whipping a case of one black person whipping another?   How can we as white people hope to condem the actions of a black person since we have no idea of what it is like to be black?   We certainly would not want to call the act..... savage.

As for england and blame... big friggin deal... so they stopped the trade... that ment they went over and whupped a bunch of helpless blacks and didn't pay anyone a dime... In the U.S. we fought a monstrously expensive and bloody civil war and gave away land and mules.
lazs

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2002, 02:41:14 PM »
but i dont care about the rest of the world. I am talking about us government payments to blacks here in america.

if burmuda pays umm that up to burmuda or england or the dutch or the french or to any of the arabs who started the african slave trade long before europeans entered the picture.

the british were the who governed the north american colonies. In jamestown there were 20 african slaves or so. the brits brought umm here.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2002, 02:47:09 PM »
Putting aside the nightmare of trying to decide who would pay reparations and who would receive them, there is no historical or moral precedent for reparations for slavery.  The American Natives formed treaties with the US Federal government, resulting in land areas being recognized as their sovereign territories.  Any other “reparations” were arranged at time the treaties’ were written and agreed to, and were made to the actual American Natives directly affected by US territorial expansion.  Reparations to Japanese Americans were made to the actual American citizens held in the internment camps, or to their immediate children.  As such, they had to show proof that they or their parents were interned.  Simply being of Japanese decent was not sufficient to be awarded reparations.  Jewish recipients of reparations from the German government again had to show that they or their parents actually lost property and/or their freedom to the Nazi regime.  Simply being a Jew of European decent was insufficient to gain access to reparations.  None of these things apply to the Blacks in America today, or to whites or other minorities who’s ancestors were victims of slavery.

According to a C-SPAN program (American Heritage Panel discussion) I was watching Saturday night, 75% of Blacks are now considered to be living at middle class or above.  As such, it is hard to make the case that all or even most black Americans have been unable to overcome the affects of slavery.  In the end, giving money to people simply because some of their distant ancestors were part of an ethnic group (and not the only one) that were numbered among slaves, is sending the wrong message to everyone…most especially to Black Americans.  It reinforces the idea that they’re victims, powerless to affect their own condition.

The American people, through their government, have gone to great extremes to wipe away the vestiges of slavery.  Far greater extremes in fact than any other nation that once did (or still does) endorsed or tolerated slavery.  They have often gone beyond simply trying to create a level playing field by creating education assistance, housing assistance, racial quotas, and hiring preferences.  In the end, those persons of minority decent that have prospered are those that stopped waiting around for a handout, took their fates and fortunes into their own hands, and embraced the American Dream.

Those that are beating the reparation drum (the non-elected, self-appointed Black Leadership) are not doing so in expectation of actually succeeding, in my opinion.  They are pushing this issue so that, once it is struck down in the Capital and in the courts, they can have one more thing to point to and cry with righteous indignation, “See? The white men who govern you are racist, and holding you down.  Flock to my banner and I will see that you get what they owe you!”  In the end, even if reparations were paid, it would not silence those shrill voices.  The only way to do so is to continue to strive for an America where Doctor King’s vision of equality for all (equality; not entitlements, not handouts) is realized to the fullest extent.  Are we there yet?  No.  However, we’ve come far enough that I can envision that America.  Reparations will not bring equality, only divisiveness.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2002, 02:50:54 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2

As for england and blame... big friggin deal... so they stopped the trade... that ment they went over and whupped a bunch of helpless blacks and didn't pay anyone a dime... In the U.S. we fought a monstrously expensive and bloody civil war and gave away land and mules.
lazs

Actually you DIDN'T give away land and mules...that is what all the fuss is about.

The civil war was not fought to free slaves either....did you learn that in school?  Don't try and take the moral high ground on that issue please.

England did not just fight the blacks who were running the factories and who controlled the land on which they were built...they fought the Spanish, the Portugese and the Dutch...and a bunch of (Barbary) pirates while they were at it, to end slavery.  This action COST the British government a bundle...why on earth would they "pay anyone a dime"?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #132 on: August 19, 2002, 02:53:52 PM »
Originally posted by Wotan
but i dont care about the rest of the world. I am talking about us government payments to blacks here in america.

Oh that's typical.  The topic of the tread is "More repartation nonsense".  Not "More reparation nonsense in the US".  Curval's post is related.  But hey if your post isn't about the US, I guess you can fek off, eh?

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2002, 03:14:51 PM »
In every legislative session since 1989, Conyers has introduced a bill that would establish a commission to examine slavery and its lingering effects on African Americans and contemporary U.S. society. The commission would comprise historians, legal scholars, genealogists, economists, lawmakers--the brightest minds to be found. Hearings would be held across the country. A report would be issued with recommendations for Congress to act on. Should the U.S. government issue a formal apology for sanctioning slavery? Is a debt owed to the descendants of black people who helped build this country but spent their lives in forced servitude? These questions would be addressed.

Sounds reasonable enough.

and about Dr. King -
Even King took up the cause of government reparations for blacks, a little-known fact of his civil rights advocacy. In his 1963 book, "Why We Can't Wait," King wrote that while "no amount of gold could provide adequate compensation for the exploitation of the Negro in America down through the centuries," a price could be placed on unpaid wages.

King was perhaps on to something, but he also was very busy fighting battles on other fronts.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
More reparation nonsense
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2002, 03:17:47 PM »
Hey, wait a minute!!  

Money was worth alot more back then.  For all we know the total cost might be something like ten bucks!