Author Topic: Please..An honest post..  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2001, 10:30:00 PM »
Hazed-,

I am completely open to playing with the radar modes in order to get the best system that balances gameplay with realism.

I do not want to see icon rages reduced because I don't like the "chase the dot" game.  I did that once here for a sector and a half befor we found that he was running from a friendly.  I don't find it fun to do that and computer graphics aren't good enough to allow identification at realistic ranges, even if that would work in the "fly anything MA".

That said, I would like to see different icon methods tried.  Country icon and closure rate only would be something I'd love to see tried.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2001, 12:05:00 AM »
What I don't understand is that the dar situation is already implemented in the CT. I still don't see all these folks playing there where they already have diminished dar. They can't ALL be strat fanatics. Could it be that the CT isn't popular?? With all the posting you'd think that there would be at least 10 to 20 players in CT all the time, but it stays empty.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2001, 06:52:00 AM »
What Maverik said.

First they whined and held thier breath, until they got the CT they begged for.

Now, having noticed that no one else likes it that way, they want to dick with the MA to MAKE every one play their way.

Must suck to be them

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2001, 08:11:00 AM »
I don't think seperate arenas work but... they can prove if a feature is liked or not.  My guess is that the dar in their emptied an allready unpopular arena.

Those who hate action and the enemies of fun want to do away with radar.   You got fluffers and LW guys wanting to get rid of dar.  These are guys that most people ignore in the MA.  they are tired of being ignored.   They want to be so obnoxious that we have to notice em.   They made themselves so obnoxious in the CT that people had to notice em... when that happened tho people voted with their feet.   Now they want to destroy the MA so that people can't avoid em.
lazs

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »
First, let me refrain from the ever so popular "knee-jerk reaction", read what seems to be a few of those in this post.

Calmly, since this IS a DISCUSSION, there are a few points that were made that go against DAR/Icon changes that I believe exist even today. The point made that, chasing a dot only to find that its friendly after an annoying distance of travel. This sort of thing happens every day, whether you notice it or not. It's not going to go away, its part of the experience, there is some good in it, if you can't see it then this game doesnt excite you anymore. Then there is this bit about whining for a CT then not using it.. We should add more reasoning in our posts so we don't sound sophmoric, I give most folks the benefit of the doubt BTW. According to these posts, this DISCUSSION shouldnt be taking place. Well, the CT is not the MA with DAR/Icon changes, if thats what you think then you never tried the CT therefore that may not be a valid argument apposing DAR/Icon changes. I realize we are all entitled to our own thoughts and ideas. This is a good discussion, lets think about what we want to say. If i'm full of it, tell me why. Not just that I'm full of it.

Dar changes have been asked for since I've been here. I've seen a lot of good suggestions and some bonehead ones too. I agree there could be some changes that give NOE a chance. What changes? I dont know, I dont know the code nor the limitations of the game, but it would seem no dar between the ground and 500ft might be a good start if possible. Baby steps.

Icon changes, again some good ideas and some bonehead ones. This I think is more of a touchy subject, call it a crutch or a tool, you can go either way on this and piss off a bunch of people. What we have now works and serves its purpose. It may not be perfect nor is it the end all solution to icons in a flight sim. I think there may be changes to it in the future but I don't dare to suggest what I want them to be.

It's not my game, I just play it.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: AcId ]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2001, 08:44:00 AM »
Nice attempt Laz, no ones listening though.

Offline YardBird

• Zinc Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2001, 09:09:00 AM »
May as well add my 2 cents: although I would like to see NO dot dar, the reduce range idea would be a good compromise (IMHO) between the "pure realism" group and the "arcaders". (And please, I'm not putting either group down - flaming me can be done easily enough in the air!)   :D

Offline K West

• Silver Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2001, 09:11:00 AM »
The CT doesn't work simply because as it is right now it is just a dueling arena with just a very limited plane set under another name. Not what some imagine it's not working for. Must suck to be wrong.

Westy

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: O'Westy ]

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2001, 09:15:00 AM »
The icon setting is one that I am not a fan of changing.  The reason is that it is a crutch and don't want to be without it.  I also have not flown other sims and must admit I have no idea what WW2online or any other sim uses for icons.

Another point already mentioned is that I don't want to be chasing a dot for miles only to realize it is a faster plane that I aint never going to catch in my F6f or Hurricane.

Many times I use the crutch to judge whether or not I'm closing.  If I'm not closing I disengage and go find a fight elsewhere.  

I must admit I like the short range icon in the special events and the CT, but in the MA I fly with a completely different attitude.  I choose to mix it up and play the game in the MA.  When I fly TOD's or special events I try and fly smarter and actually care if I live or die.

I think that we will always have people critisize changes made to the MA because they also fly in the MA with different attitudes.  

As for radar I too like the radar crutch.  When flying in events with no dar you have to watch the text buffer constantly for updates on contacts.  When this happens I have trouble with SA because I'm constntly toggling the map and my eyes are in the cockpit rather than searching the sky.  In the MA as mentioned I use the dar to find fights and when in the sector with a big red bar you KNOW to keep scanning the sky.  I would give up the dat dar, but not change the dar bars.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by Furious:
In my opinion the only thing done well in WWIIOnline were the icons.  A similar system could work well for us here.

F.

If there's anyone here that didn't try WWIIOnline or hasn't heard about their icons they basically work like this: Switch to view with enemy A/C, no icon. The longer you maintain the view, a faint icon gets darker and more visible.

While this would seem to more accurately simulate the time it takes to scan the sky, it can be very confusing when you have a solid icon and while tracking him switch to another view and he's gone.

It would definitely add pucker factor (didn't in WWIIOnline because of how poor the sim is overall) but I think most would be very unhappy with this sort of system or any other system that reduces the current aids to SA.

Suspect that only those with highly honed SA skills (minority here) would like to see these SA aids eliminated or reduced.

HTC has to balance realism with playability, I figure they go for what makes most of the people happy.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2001, 11:10:00 AM »
Hazed:

I don't know about the exact range to reduce vis to, its probably debatable but, I do agree that icon range being 6k yds out is a bit much. It allows me to have the kind of vision which very few people actually have in life. Rather, I do think the ability to see dots is necessary and important. I don't have to see an icon to know the type of a/c it is; completely unnecessary IMO.
Using the example you began with, if I am a buff gunner I should be wary at all times when I'm in nme air, and should be tracking any dot that comes within vis range.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2001, 11:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by O'Westy:
The CT doesn't work simply because as it is right now it is just a dueling arena with just a very limited plane set under another name. Not what some imagine it's not working for. Must suck to be wrong.

Westy

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: O'Westy ]

Westy,

Then why don't you lobby to correct the "imperfections" you "perceive" in the CT and stop trying to change the MA??? You can get what you want without demanding a change in the arena that the vast majority obviously find entertaining. Please make no mistake, this game IS about entertainment. WW2 ended quite some time ago.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Maverick ]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2001, 11:32:00 AM »
enable field capture in CT. I'll live there. Right now its just an endless, "historical" furball over the channel.

I can play there for maybe 4 hours...then get bored to death because there's no "progress" to works towards.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2001, 11:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick:

Please make no mistake, this game IS about entertainment. WW2 ended quite some time ago.

Mav, its about how one perceives entertainment, though.  I see entertainment in both a historical and Main arena context.  I'd give equal time to both, but the CT seems stalled at the moment.  The main is okay, but I live for the TOD's that occur now.

Just my perspective.

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
Please..An honest post..
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2001, 01:25:00 PM »
I actually like not having DAR, because I find it lets me play the game more, rather than having it PLAYED for me. That's my personal opinion and I realize not everyone agrees with it.

Based on my open beta experience (And the bug when Mindanao was first released) I can honestly say the most fun I ever had in AH is when there wasn't any enemy dot dar. I really do enjoy the CT arena settings as well, but I remember when we finally received enemy dot dar and it took alot out of AH, IMHO.

I like the idea of the WW2OL 'fade' icons. I would also like to see the DAR only register planes which are 2K AGL. At least back in the open beta days, when there wasn't nme dot dar, you had a chance of surviving a NOE raid (And anyone who rode in the noseof a B-26 on those raids got a hell of a view!   :) ). I really miss not being able to fly NOE raids.

That's just the way I feel. I would like to see DAR ONLY in the tower and in planes which were so equipped (Night fighter types and some bombers). It would be very interesting to see two MA's put up one with the standard settings and one with test settings. Maybe use the CT for awhile as the MA DAR Test Arena? Those who want DAR as is, can fly in the standard arena, those who would like to see some changes could fly the CT with a different DAR set-up for 6 ot 8 weeks then vote on DAR settings for another arena?

I present these opinions and ideas as just that. Nothing more. The community is obviously split on these issues, so I offer this as, perhaps, a partial solution.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Sundog ]