Author Topic: What ignoring a court order will get ya  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
What ignoring a court order will get ya
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2003, 09:11:42 PM »
In what warped reality is that a representation of the people?

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2003, 09:15:15 PM »
Are they not appointed by the people you elect? Is the judiciary court not appointed to prevent misconduct?
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2003, 09:16:17 PM »
Originally posted by Martlet
In what warped reality is that a representation of the people?

As I understand it... the judiciary are not there to represent the people. They represent the law, the constitution, the state.
sand

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2003, 09:16:58 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
Are they not appointed by the people you elect?

In that case, Bush should be able to appoint state representatives.  Someone should get on that.

Who elects the state bar?

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2003, 09:17:24 PM »
It's there to prevent misconduct in the judiciary system.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2003, 09:17:56 PM »
It's there to prevent misconduct in the judiciary system.

Who elects the governor?

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2003, 09:18:57 PM »
Bush appoints many people..like poindexter.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2003, 09:20:09 PM »
Who elects the governor?

What's that got to do with anything?

Who elects the state bar?  How are they representative of the people?

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2003, 09:20:16 PM »
That's what the state judiciary is for, to prevent misconduct. And it was put in place by people who were elected by the people.

"two persons who are not lawyers who shall be appointed by the Governor; and one person appointed by the Lieutenant Governor'

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2003, 09:23:36 PM »
That's what the state judiciary is for, to prevent misconduct. And it was put in place by people who were elected by the people.

"two persons who are not lawyers who shall be appointed by the Governor; and one person appointed by the Lieutenant Governor'

As I said, if the Judiciary was removing elected officials I put into office, I'd have a problem with that.  The Judiciary is not elected.  Some members of it aren't even appointed by public servants.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2003, 09:27:22 PM »
As I said, if the Judiciary was removing elected officials I put into office, I'd have a problem with that.  The Judiciary is not elected.  Some members of it aren't even appointed by public servants.

Right, but that's how the system works, how you or I approve of it doesn't matter. It does not rule on all elected officials, only judges. You can't have rogue judges making their own rules.

"The court shall have authority, after notice and public hearing (1) to remove from office, suspend without pay, or censure a judge, or apply such other sanction as may be prescribed by law, for violation of a Canon of Judicial Ethics, misconduct in office, failure to perform his duties, or (2) to suspend with or without pay, or to retire a judge who is physically or mentally unable to perform his duties. Taken from the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, Amendment 581, §6.18. "

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2003, 09:30:06 PM »
Right, but that's how the system works, how you or I approve of it doesn't matter. It does not rule on all elected officials, only judges. You can't have rogue judges making their own rules.

You're right, you can't.   Judges have to follow laws like everyone else.  If he broke the law, then he goes to trial just like you or I would.  If he's found guilty, then he is punished.

If the people want to boot him, then they can raise the signatures and put it on a ballot.  In my opinion, it's not for members of the bar to decide.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2003, 09:35:04 PM »
If the people want to boot him, then they can raise the signatures and put it on a ballot.  In my opinion, it's not for members of the bar to decide.

Well, 3 people are appointed by the governor, so he will have to answer to the people. How those three voted will affect him. And yes, you are entitled to your opinion.

As I am reading it only two are from the bar, it is interesting reading.

The Chief justice of the judiciary is selected by the supreme court from an appellate court.

Two are from the circuit court appointed by the curcuit judge association.

And one district judge appointed by the district judge association.

here is a link to the appellate(alabama) court.

http://www.alalinc.net/appellate/appellate_main.cfm

Wow, if I only had the internet when I was doing reports. I had to go to the library, search for books, etc. All this info at your fingertips.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 09:50:30 PM by Sixpence »

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2003, 10:21:09 PM »
If he broke the law, then he goes to trial just like you or I would.  If he's found guilty, then he is punished.

Ok, i've done a little reading. Actually, he did go to court. He does not go to a normal court like you or I. The judiciary committee is court for judges, and he was found guilty of misconduct. His punishment was removal.

But, as you have stated, you do not think they should have the power to remove him.

He could appeal to the supreme court, but as stated above, the supreme court appoints the chief of the judiciary committee. So it would be tough to get it overturned.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 10:26:03 PM by Sixpence »

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2003, 10:25:27 PM »
Ok, i've done a little reading. Actually, he did go to court. He does not go to a normal court like you or I. The judiciary committee is court for judges, and he was found guilty of misconduct. His punishment was removal.

But, as you have stated, you do not think they should have the power to remove him.

Which was my point initially.  If he is guilty of a crime, then he should go to court, like you or I, and be sentenced as you or I would.  Then, the people should decide if they'd like to remove him.