Author Topic: What ignoring a court order will get ya  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
What ignoring a court order will get ya
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 04:02:08 PM »
Hopefully it would not dissuade other people from attempting to uphold the Constitution.

miko

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
Re: What ignoring a court order will get ya
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 04:04:21 PM »
Moore said he had consulted with his attorneys and with political and religious leaders and would make an announcement next week which he said ''could alter the course of this country.'' He did not elaborate. He could appeal to the Alabama Supreme Court.

Selfrightous ass...

Last I checked getting fired was low on the list of punishments for contempt of the court. 170k salary ? i'm in a wrong fricking business. Want to cut government spending ? HELLO !!! :D

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 04:04:22 PM »
Originally posted by miko2d
Hopefully it would not dissuade other people from attempting to uphold the Constitution.

miko

He got what I would have got for ignoring a court order. Although, I think I would have got worse. Interpeting the constitution to ignore a court order doesn't fly.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 04:07:37 PM by Sixpence »
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 04:12:24 PM »
Sixpence: Interpeting the constitution to ignore a court order doesn't fly.

The Constitution does not grant the Federal Government - of which the Supreme Court is a branch - a power to issue such an order.

First ammendment is a limitation on the federal government. A state can establish an official religion as long as it does not prevent any citizen from freely exercising theirs - according to the Fourteenth ammendment.

miko

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 04:14:02 PM »

miko

He clearly violated the establishment clause of the 1st amendment.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 04:14:10 PM »
It also says I don't have to pay taxes, that doesn't fly either. Or is that somewhere else? nm

Wow, this search is bringing mixed results, I take that back, I have to pay taxes:(
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 04:48:09 PM by Sixpence »

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2003, 04:17:25 PM »
Sixpence: Interpeting the constitution to ignore a court order doesn't fly.

The Constitution does not grant the Federal Government - of which the Supreme Court is a branch - a power to issue such an order.

First ammendment is a limitation on the federal government. A state can establish an official religion as long as it does not prevent any citizen from freely exercising theirs - according to the Fourteenth ammendment.

miko

"The establishment clause prohibits the government from passing legislation to establish an official religion or preferring one religion over another."

One religion is established in the ten commandments.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2003, 04:31:30 PM »
This self rightious arse is slicker than you give him credit. Want to lay odds on his announcing an upcoming Gubenatorial or Senate campaign?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
Re: What ignoring a court order will get ya
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 06:18:45 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
http://www.boston.com/dailynews/317/nation/Alabama_chief_justice_removed_:.shtml

I'd find the judiciary ousting an elected official a hard pill to swallow if I lived in that district.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: What ignoring a court order will get ya
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2003, 06:49:19 PM »
Originally posted by Martlet
I'd find the judiciary ousting an elected official a hard pill to swallow if I lived in that district.

Being elected does not put you above the law. I voted for Clinton, but I do not believe he should have stayed in office after lying to a grand jury. You know where that would have landed us.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 06:51:53 PM by Sixpence »

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2003, 07:14:34 PM »
midnight Target: He clearly violated the establishment clause of the 1st amendment.

No, he did not. He could not have possibly even if he tried.

"The establishment clause prohibits the government from passing legislation to establish an official religion or preferring one religion over another."

Prohibits to the Federal Government - not to state governments!

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

See? "Congress", not "states' legislatures".
 In fact,

Amendment X
 The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Show me where in the Constitution are the states prohibited from establising or promoting a religion?

Section 10. No state shall enter into any treaty, alliance, or confederation; grant letters of marque and reprisal; coin money; emit bills of credit; make anything but gold and silver coin a tender in payment of debts; pass any bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law impairing the obligation of contracts, or grant any title of nobility.

No state shall, without the consent of the Congress, lay any imposts or duties on imports or exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection laws: and the net produce of all duties and imposts, laid by any state on imports or exports, shall be for the use of the treasury of the United States; and all such laws shall be subject to the revision and control of the Congress.

No state shall, without the consent of Congress, lay any duty of tonnage, keep troops, or ships of war in time of peace, enter into any agreement or compact with another state, or with a foreign power, or engage in war, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent danger as will not admit of delay.

See anything about not promoting a religion?

miko

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2003, 07:22:18 PM »
midnight Target: He clearly violated the establishment clause of the 1st amendment.

No, he did not. He could not have possibly even if he tried.

Prohibits to the Federal Government - not to state governments!

See? "Congress", not "states' legislatures".
 In fact,

Show me where in the Constitution are the states prohibited from establising or promoting a religion?

See anything about not promoting a religion?

miko

It does not separate state and federal governments.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/first_amendment.html

"Two clauses in the First Amendment guarantee freedom of religion. The establishment clause prohibits the government from passing legislation to establish an official religion or preferring one religion over another. It enforces the "separation of church and state."

I do not see where it states the state government is above the federal government.

"The First Amendment has been interpreted by the Court as applying to the entire federal government even though it is only expressly applicable to Congress. Furthermore, the Court has interpreted, the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as protecting the rights in the First Amendment from interference by state governments" Which would include the establishment clause.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 07:30:52 PM by Sixpence »

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: What ignoring a court order will get ya
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2003, 08:02:48 PM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
Being elected does not put you above the law. I voted for Clinton, but I do not believe he should have stayed in office after lying to a grand jury. You know where that would have landed us.

But he DID stay in office.  

He was elected by the people.  If he broke the law, then suitable punishment should be issued.   He works for the people, he should be fired by them.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2003, 08:08:28 PM »
Sixpence: It does not separate state and federal governments.

It absolutely does: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

I do not see where it states the state government is above the federal government.

I do not know what you mean by above. The federal government has aonly the powers specifically enumerated - thus limited.
 The states have powers except those expressly forbidden - thus unlimited.

The First Amendment has been interpreted by the Court as applying to the entire federal government even though it is only expressly applicable to Congress.

Right, so the Congress cannot pass a law restricting the state, so the court would have nothing to uphold.

Furthermore, the Court has interpreted, the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as protecting the rights in the First Amendment from interference by state governments" Which would include the establishment clause.

Right - the rights as in "...or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble..."

And what does Fourteenth Amendment say?

No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The judge Moore's act did not abridge "the privileges or immunities of citizens" and did not deny "the equal protection of the laws", did not "prohibit the free exercise thereof".

Read the document yourself.

I will be the first to admit that it does not matter any more and that I may be silly referring to it, but I least it is quite clear what it says.

miko