Author Topic: pics of dhl jet  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2003, 02:01:28 AM »
I doubt as well that all the hydraulics were lost...
First of all the hull wasnt damaged and unarguably an engine was still running and APU seemed to be available as well.
Just not a chance for all hydraulics to be lost.

If would be, then it would be totally crappy engineering on the plane :D

Offline mora

• Gold Member
A few links
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2003, 04:34:10 AM »

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2003, 05:00:31 AM »
You guys are really something.

Here is an account of some engineer who was part of the investigating team. He says that the aircraft lost all hyudralics. You (that is, the people sitting at home, reading about this on the inTARDnet) say that he is wrong.

Hillarious...in a sad and twisted way.

Offline mora

• Gold Member
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2003, 05:17:26 AM »
Originally posted by Hortlund
You guys are really something.

Here is an account of some engineer who was part of the investigating team. He says that the aircraft lost all hyudralics. You (that is, the people sitting at home, reading about this on the inTARDnet) say that he is wrong.

Hillarious...in a sad and twisted way.

I'm sure Trolltlund knows the person who wrote that article... Surely an "engineer who was part of the investigating team" is going to write his findings straight to the "inTARDnet" only after weeks of the incident...very professional.:rolleyes:

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2003, 05:38:26 AM »
Hortlund,

I don't count the article as very reliable on the engineer's account...
It could been said by someone else... the words could been understood wrong by the writer...  etc. etc.
Plus there isnt full conversation available.

and if they had hydraulics blown out, why were flaps still working better than basic controls?

Sure it must been hard to control, like any plane with a part of wing blown away, but having bits blown off the wing doesn't exactly render hydraulics useless.
I don't see any ... any damage at all to the fuselage or right wing.
and if they had all hydraulics blown out, they wouldnt have done the landing in just ~16 minutes with a go-around included.

Anyway, I'll be waiting for the throughout accident investigation report before relying on any 'all hydraulics lost' tales.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 05:51:07 AM by Fishu »

Offline mora

• Gold Member
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2003, 06:07:09 AM »
Lets entertain Hortlund with some more speculation. Imagine the loss of lift that damage must have caused. As a result there would have been signifcant tendency to roll to the left, which they would have had to counter with differential thrust, which mostly affects planes yaw not roll.

Ok they managed to stabilize the plane after being hit at 8000 feet, and make an approach in a very uncoordinated condition yawing heavily to the right(because of the thrust from the left engine which is countering the roll). Then they have to go around and position the plane again for the approach. This time they land smoothly to the runway(no blown tires except one) All this accomplished in just sixteen minutes.

Yes pure speculation, but I feel that all the things in that article just don't match.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 06:09:29 AM by mora »

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2003, 06:30:12 AM »
*shrug* bottom line is, you guys are speculating, the guy writing that text has examined the aircraft and presumably talked to the crew.

Fishu, where did you get the information that the flaps were working? And if you remember the 1989 crash of FL370 at Sioux City where shrapnel from the no.2 engine damaged all three main hydraulic lines in the tail, causing a total loss of hydraulics aboard the aircraft.

Mora keep speculating. At the end of the day, you are sitting here guessing, and that guy examined the aircraft in question.

Offline mora

• Gold Member
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2003, 06:58:58 AM »
There's no way of knowing if the person who wrote that article has even seen the plane IRL, after all this is inTARDnet. I wouln't be too surprised if they indeed lost all hydraulics, the article just doesn't feel 100% reliable.

About the flaps, looking at the pictures the flaps and slats don't seem to be extended and part of the flap is missing.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 07:11:37 AM by mora »

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2003, 07:53:58 AM »
Guess old Boeing still makes pretty tough birds....

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2003, 12:34:54 PM »
I just heard on the radio that a USAF C-17 got hit by a missile in Iraq.  They said an engine exploded, but it got down safely.  Can anyone confirm this?  

This needs to stop :mad:

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2003, 01:19:51 PM »
From AP newswire:

"The guerrilla strike on the C-17, which took place on Tuesday, injured one of the 16 passengers and crew and highlighted the danger to air traffic at Baghdad's airport, a key entry point where last month a ground-fired missile hit a DHL cargo plane, which also landed safely. Just as in the DHL strike, the C-17 had just lifted off from Baghdad airport before dawn when its engine exploded and it was forced to land."

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2003, 01:48:53 PM »
I bet that pilot could land a 262 with one engine, one wing, and no horizontal stab.

Dayam.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2003, 02:12:08 PM »
missed this one :)
Originally posted by _Schadenfreude_
Guess old Boeing still makes pretty tough birds....

:rofl

Hahem ...  A-300-B4

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2003, 02:16:36 PM »
Looks like your boys hit it pretty good Straffo!

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
pics of dhl jet
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2003, 02:23:55 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
missed this one :)

:rofl

Hahem ...  A-300-B4

my bad - should rephrase - I see those pesky Europeans make some pretty tough birdsat their French factory!!