Author Topic: Open Letter To HTC  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2003, 05:28:15 AM »
I think that any additional graphics beyond what is actually neccesary to enhance the game mechanics is just gravy and comes at a premium.

Well, IMO realism is the most important thing, meaning a good flight modell and a good gunnery/dmg modell in combat sims. However, good graphics means good immersion and adds to the realism IMO, there is no "beyond what is actually neccesary" graphics in IL2 FB IMO, it all just adds to realism.

AH2 does look alot better then AH1 but nowhere close to IL2. Then again, it's beta you dolts.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2003, 05:33:56 AM »
AH1 is mid/late 1990s graphics level, for example Janes WW2 fighters from 1998 had somewhat better graphics than AH1 has now in late 2003.

So basically its time for an update to graphics if AH is to remain competitive in the long run.

And FYI I'm one of the guys who likes AH1 graphics even if they are "old."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2003, 07:43:15 AM »
HT said at some point something like "there hadn't been anything interesting in graphics development until pixel shaders, with those we can do some interesting stuff", in the sense that it wasn't feasible to overhaul the 3D engine untill then, in his opinion, if I remember his saying so correctly.

imo HTC does wtf they want, it's their game. That means responding to players' and their own demands, and developing whatever they want for whatever end result they want.

So far I'm satisfied and deem it worth paying to play it.

It's a bit strange to see the AH2 graphics so little ahead of AH1's, but my impression is it's no big deal, as AH is more about gameplay, and it doesn't look like this is anything but just the beginning of exploiting the new engine, Beta or not.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2003, 08:02:58 AM »
It's a bit strange to see the AH2 graphics so little ahead of AH1's, but my impression is it's no big deal, as AH is more about gameplay, and it doesn't look like this is anything but just the beginning of exploiting the new engine, Beta or not.

Agree
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline mold

• Copper Member
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2003, 08:12:47 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Especially since those "steamy" goggles also made you blind. :cool:

True, the goggles would have to show joystick/throttle in the display.  But what a bother, a jack is so simple. ;)

Yeah ... it's about to the friv stage. :D

Hey, someone's gotta drive the economy! :D

Offline Dobe

• Zinc Member
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2003, 09:16:50 AM »
If it were me,I'd keep the gameplay the same,add a few planes,and use new grahic engine to make a classic version,so the players would have choice.
Dobe

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2003, 09:25:25 AM »
Originally posted by mold
Hey, someone's gotta drive the economy! :D

Well keep it at a decent speed for a change. Speed kills. :lol

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2003, 02:31:16 PM »
Ahhh .... but there you're just plain wrong. You've bought into the "picture perfect neccessity" schlock lock stock and barrel. Tell, me .... does the image on your screen need to be digital quality in every detail for you to attain immersion? If so you must have little, if any, imagination. And truly it'll never be enough until you manage to find a way to teleport back in time and get yourself into one of the service flight schools.

The "gotta have my eye candy" crowd is basically a crowd of duped individuals.

Unfortunately in today's MMOG market you have to have the eye candy to remain competitive and to attract new players.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2003, 02:43:21 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Unfortunately in today's MMOG market you have to have the eye candy to remain competitive and to attract new players.

Don't buy the lie. There's still lots of European Air War fans in the world. Probably just as many as the brainwashed fanatic graphic perfection crowd that will never be happy until they get a head jack (and even then they'll be wired to ask for a new jack upgrade every year). The rumor that all mmog online sims will constantly have to upgrade their graphics engine no matter how good they've already gotten was perpetrated and spread by video card companies and it's slowing down what's needed for real progress in the flightsim community - more aircraft models, greater modeling accuracy and a smoother game engine/interface. :D:aok
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 02:46:06 PM by Arlo »

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2003, 07:01:19 PM »
If it were me,I'd keep the gameplay the same,add a few planes,and use new grahic engine to make a classic version,so the players would have choice.

Uhm, gameplay isn't changing (part from modified flight modelling and dammage modelling), new planes will be added and the graphic engine is new. There is no "force the players in the TOD". The Main Arena and it's gameplay will still exist, as a matter of fact the TOD won't be added at the same time as AH2 is released from beta. TOD will come later.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2003, 07:01:26 PM »
Don't buy the lie. There's still lots of European Air War fans in the world. Probably just as many as the brainwashed fanatic graphic perfection crowd that will never be happy until they get a head jack (and even then they'll be wired to ask for a new jack upgrade every year). The rumor that all mmog online sims will constantly have to upgrade their graphics engine no matter how good they've already gotten was perpetrated and spread by video card companies and it's slowing down what's needed for real progress in the flightsim community - more aircraft models, greater modeling accuracy and a smoother game engine/interface. :D:aok

The company I work for has two of the largest MMOG games in the world.  Our flagship MMOG is now edging up past the 5 year mark and has extremely out dated graphics that we are in the process of updating with a new graphics engine so we can compete with the new MMOG games that are coming out.  Even though our flagship game has a paid subscriber base of 300,000+, we are forced to do this to remain competitive.  It's the nature of the beast.  The fact is the mass consumer wants eye candy and will be attracted to the game that has the most eye candy, even if the game play is sub-par.

Personally, if the game play is excellent then I can over look the graphical shortcomings of the game.  I still play DoD and that is based on a game that came out almost 6 years ago.  But the game play is by far better than any of the new rivals with far better graphics but sub-par game play.  But then I'm a hardcore gamer and you'll find attitudes like mine common but with the casual gamer that makes up the majority of the gaming audience, the attitude drifts towards the other side.

ack-ack

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2003, 08:30:08 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
The company I work for has two of the largest MMOG games in the world.  

I hope AH never tries to model itself after Everquest. That would not be a good thang. ;) :D :aok

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2003, 09:26:12 PM »
It's a good model on how to market a MMOG to the masses beyond the hardcore gamer, other than that don't think HT can really learn anything from EQ.

ack-ack

Offline Kegger26

• Nickel Member
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2003, 11:11:32 PM »
The problem I see is the fact that the graphics in AHII arnt even that great, there now evenJanes WWII fighters great. I am ok with how the graphics look now, I would just like to see some new features, and some new aircraft. I am kinda disapointed that we heard all the hub-bub about how AHII would be out third Q 2003, here we are almost to 2004. I would think that honesty would also help to improve cash flow too. :/

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Open Letter To HTC
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2003, 11:44:45 PM »
Pardon my confusion but ...

Do you see the problem as poor graphics in AHII or do you like the graphics just fine as is and just want to see more features and aircraft? You peeled out then slammed it into reverse. Which way ya goin'?

I wouldn't mind seeing a poll that reflected eye-candy vs. more game features and aircraft to see how many players would prioritize glitz over substance.

"More filling!"

"Looks great!"