Author Topic: Favorite parts of the State of the Union  (Read 5251 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Favorite parts of the State of the Union
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2004, 12:42:19 AM »
Dont change the subject now that you got shown you were wrong...

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2004, 12:55:24 AM »
I have to admit that several of the liberal intellectuals that grace this BBS have motivated me to question the motives of the CiC and his administration.  I am seriosuly thankfull to them as I consider it a healthy motivation and ultimately a neccessary one.

I realize that these extremely high profile addresses to the union are packed with spin and intended to solidify support more than reverse opposing views but I have to admit it was the best written, most compelling address that Bush has given yet, bar none.

On the flip side:

I could have done without the steroid use.  That really didnt belong in a state of the union address.

I am torn on the issue of same sex marriage.  I dont want to deny people the joy of marriage yet I dont want to water down, dilute the natural time honored union of a procreating couple in the spirit of faith.  I felt uncomfortable with that issue in the address.  I felt it belonged in a different speech, on a different platform imo, but I am not genuinely disturbed by its inclusion.

Just a little bit put off by that subject is all.....
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2004, 01:03:21 AM »
Saddam is removed. People are dying every day now in Iraq ? Could it be that US presence has anything to do with it ?
====
hristo, no offense intended but thats an incredibly narrow minded view.  Is it a view that you play against other views to generate a more full bodied perspective or is it an ingrained narrow view that you feel compelled to hold for other reasons?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2004, 01:19:55 AM »
Isnt his hatred for america apparent?

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2004, 01:40:25 AM »
Dont change the subject now that you got shown you were wrong...

Your word no ?

hate != critic

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2004, 01:46:53 AM »
Originally posted by Hristo
Bush lied about WMDs to get his war. [/B]

Yes, damn lying President:

President's address to Joint Chiefs of Staff and Pentagon staff:If we fail to respond today, Saddam and all those who would follow in his footsteps will be emboldened tomorrow by the knowledge that they can act with impunity, even in the face of a clear message from the United Nations Security Council and clear evidence of a weapons of mass destruction program.
State of the Union Address:
For nearly a decade, Iraq has defied its obligations to destroy its weapons of terror and the missiles to deliver them. America will continue to contain Saddam, and we will work for the day when Iraq has a government worthy of its people.

Oh, wait, that was Clinton in 1997 and 1998.  Coincidently, wepons inspectors were kept out of iraq since 1998.  

Saddam is removed. People are dying every day now in Iraq ? Could it be that US presence has anything to do with it ?

People are dying every day now in the US by violence.  Come back when you grow a point.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2004, 02:01:43 AM »
Failure to locate WMDs does not invalidate the intent of liberating Iraq.  The greatest threat to Iraqi liberation is american and european grown social liberalism.  Not islamic militant fundamentalism.

I am sorry for you people that feel this way.  It is defeatism and a terrible mark against civilization.  You might as well be the enemy.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2004, 02:20:23 AM »
My favorite part was when he said that parts of the Patriot act were about to expire. I can only imagine that he ran out of breath or something, because he paused long enough for some wags in the audience to start applauding.
====
I suspect that the "average" voting american picked up on this as well.  I cannot imagine a more futile and depressing moment in the politics of a minority party as this.

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2004, 02:25:51 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Better justifying the sucessful removal of a hated murderous dictator than the attempted and failed removal of a stain....

A kill has been recorded.

culero (LMAO)
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2004, 02:32:19 AM »
Originally posted by straffo

hate != critic

True but none of that excludes the possibilty that his criticism arises out of hatred, which I feel it does.  A lot of people in Croatia seem to hate the USA in some nebulous manner, I have seen this happend over and over when we had visitors. Usually they find out over time that their prejudice is baseless (ignorance of reality in usa) and they start to like the place.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2004, 02:43:06 AM »
I agree GRUN , it's not uncommon and can be true on both side of the atlantic :)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2004, 02:48:03 AM »
Originally posted by straffo
I agree GRUN , it's not uncommon and can be true on both side of the atlantic :)

I love europe, thats why I am so critical of it. I heard from some people on this BBS that the only true patriots are those who spare no oppotunity to bash the land they love and those that love and support it are really fake patriots, dangerous, evil nationalits even.  :)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2004, 02:52:29 AM »
rotlf :rofl

Never trust a pilot wanabe nerd poster :)

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2004, 03:26:54 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Isnt his hatred for america apparent?

I'm just about to negotiate the supply of consumer health products with a company in NJ, value to them - about 1.8 million dollars per annum. If I hated USA why would I bother?

I disagree with the current administration and I feel that the liberties which America has stood for in the past have been seriously eroded.

I think some of the posters on this BBS are in terms politics in the country that I live in - little more than neo fascists.

I'm not that bothered by the fact, it's heartening to see how many American's are not right wing, religious fanatic bigots who glorify killing and death - as long as it's someone else's of course.

There's a difference between disagreeing with a political class and a country's current administration and hating that country - and yes if it's not clear I do think you're a narrow minded moron.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2004, 03:44:21 AM »
and yes if it's not clear I do think you're a narrow minded moron.

Personal Attack! Personal Attack! Citizen's Arrest! Citizen's Arrest!

http://www.onion.com/4003/opinion1.html
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!