Author Topic: SOPS tonight  (Read 4078 times)

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
SOPS tonight
« on: January 25, 2004, 04:51:32 PM »
how you like it?

Offline Furzy

• Zinc Member
SOPS tonight
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 05:27:11 PM »
Ill reply tomorrow when Ive cooled off.

Furzy

Offline Adjuster

• Copper Member
SOPS tonight
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 05:31:53 PM »
Ditto

Adjuster
Adjuster

56 Squadron (Firebirds)

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
SOPS tonight
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 06:11:06 PM »
great plan well exacuted. enjoyed it and my squad with me :)

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
SOPS tonight
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 06:33:54 PM »
I have email asking for people's take on things. Until I get feedback I can't comment on specifics.

However, after looking at logs I will say I not really happy with what I saw. From what I have heard nothing violated anything I put down as CM. But from the number of kills at timing I would have to say that the fun factor probably was missing and was more a frustrating cat and mouse frame. Strategically fun but not tactically.

A frame of only 7 kills must have been tedious. I don't like trying to shove sides together in a scripted way but allow them to do what they want within the frame work of what is laid down. CiCs do what they want. But I keep an eye on the fun factor and I would say frame 2 was missing it.

I have thought about how to rectify this and will have objectives out for tomorrow but I am scrapping my original idea for frame 3 in light of frame 2 results and instead do one that should guarantee more engagements.

[list=1]
  • We will simulate just 1 IJN invasion fleet instead of the 2 I planned and I will move it to move it closer (basically looking for a knife fight) .. say about 3 to 4  sectors from target (A11 on the sea coast). The USAAFFE will not have to worry about flying over mountains to defend.
  • I want to give the USAAFFE the ability to attack the IJN fleet so will be checking with squad C.O.s about the following options .. 1) Give the USAAFFEE some P40Es which can dive bomb 2) or SBDs which can dive bomb and then they get second lives just like IJN D3A1 or B5N 3) USAAFFE stays with  P40Bs but get 3 or 4 max formations of B17s.
  • I was thinking of putting a US fleet in action to simulate that Davao was not destroyed and allowing dead IJN and USAAFFE pilots to man the main guns of their respective fleet. I think that will be scrap this idea as its getting things to complicated.
  • Since I am giving the US and IJN both one target to strike and defend I might shift one IJN squad to US. Have to look into the number imbalance issue this frame.
Will be sending out discussion to squad C.O.s and then will based on their feedback will and get out new objectives, etc. tomorrow night.

--
Ghost Dancer C.O.
Nightmares VMF-101
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline Gremlin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.webtreatz.com/tod/lognew.html
SOPS tonight
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2004, 07:33:58 PM »
I think we all agree that tonights frame was a bit off.  Important thing is we learn from it and move on.

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
SOPS tonight
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2004, 07:52:08 PM »
Originally posted by Gremlin
I think we all agree that tonights frame was a bit off.  Important thing is we learn from it and move on.

and why we not learn week ago?

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
SOPS tonight
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2004, 07:57:10 PM »
hmmm...from the initial set up it looked to be an improvement over last week.  I would the axis CO's plans had more to do with it than the set up.  Of course I've stated as much already so I'll shut up now. :D

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
SOPS tonight
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2004, 07:59:51 PM »
Originally posted by bike killa
great plan well exacuted. enjoyed it and my squad with me :)

if somone will give you cube to play, you will be happy to ;-)

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
SOPS tonight
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2004, 08:05:36 PM »
Originally posted by ghostdancer
I have email asking for people's take on things. Until I get feedback I can't comment on specifics.

However, after looking at logs I will say I not really happy with what I saw. From what I have heard nothing violated anything I put down as CM. But from the number of kills at timing I would have to say that the fun factor probably was missing and was more a frustrating cat and mouse frame. Strategically fun but not tactically.

A frame of only 7 kills must have been tedious. I don't like trying to shove sides together in a scripted way but allow them to do what they want within the frame work of what is laid down. CiCs do what they want. But I keep an eye on the fun factor and I would say frame 2 was missing it.

I have thought about how to rectify this and will have objectives out for tomorrow but I am scrapping my original idea for frame 3 in light of frame 2 results and instead do one that should guarantee more engagements.

[list=1]
  • We will simulate just 1 IJN invasion fleet instead of the 2 I planned and I will move it to move it closer (basically looking for a knife fight) .. say about 3 to 4  sectors from target (A11 on the sea coast). The USAAFFE will not have to worry about flying over mountains to defend.
  • I want to give the USAAFFE the ability to attack the IJN fleet so will be checking with squad C.O.s about the following options .. 1) Give the USAAFFEE some P40Es which can dive bomb 2) or SBDs which can dive bomb and then they get second lives just like IJN D3A1 or B5N 3) USAAFFE stays with  P40Bs but get 3 or 4 max formations of B17s.
  • I was thinking of putting a US fleet in action to simulate that Davao was not destroyed and allowing dead IJN and USAAFFE pilots to man the main guns of their respective fleet. I think that will be scrap this idea as its getting things to complicated.
  • Since I am giving the US and IJN both one target to strike and defend I might shift one IJN squad to US. Have to look into the number imbalance issue this frame.
Will be sending out discussion to squad C.O.s and then will based on their feedback will and get out new objectives, etc. tomorrow night.

--
Ghost Dancer C.O.
Nightmares VMF-101

Ghostdancer, could you cancel last frame and let Suave run his setup next week? Of course if he is ready

This setup is wont worth to fix

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
SOPS tonight
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2004, 09:06:40 PM »
Like others I will wait until tomorrow to respond to your additional posts in this thread Ramzey.

I will not comment on them now. However, in light of the email discussion that all squad C.O.s and X.O.s were involved in concerning frame 1 and if that frame was fun or not. In addition too, the general quality of Sunday Squad Ops events and the fact that no other squad agreed with you and your opinions and now you post for cancelling the end of an event because you don't think the next frame can be tweaked / modified to try to make sure the fun factor is re-established

To be professional I have to tell you that you are walking a very, very fine line here.

I will post in detail tomorrow.

My email requesting feedback from the other C.O.s and X.O.s about specific points is now on hold while I gather different feedback.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
SOPS tonight
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2004, 09:14:32 PM »
i had fun:) got shot down,,but had fun,,lol<~~was the poor zero that got singled out by your mighty squad i tried to give ya some hell:) good fight all

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
SOPS tonight
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2004, 10:30:23 PM »
I would take a room full of cube players than a room with boys who will never be happy irregardless of what gadget you put in front of them.

Just thought I would mention that. ;)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
SOPS tonight
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2004, 02:13:29 AM »
Originally posted by ramzey

If you asked, i do enjoy other things outside AH also ;)

However in this case i really enjoyed the flight. I can see it could be frustrating for Allies, but atoh it was great plan executed by Axis and this came from the calculations (aha work done  be the creator). It's nice to see that someone put his work in it and acheves his goal.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
SOPS tonight
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2004, 02:34:14 AM »
As the initial creator of the Frame 2 Axis plan I offer my appologies to the Allied pilots for their frustration in frame 2.

I will not plead ignorance, I knew exactly what I was doing when I put it forward for consideration.

The plan removed the Allied forces from any effective role in the frame bar climbing into certain death. (If they were not caught refueling)

In fact the original plan included more bomber squads than actually participated. It did not need as many zeke squadrons as we used.

The fact that the plan was executed perfectly and with precision (with which those axis squads participating may be proud) meant that there were not even any real error related scraps for the allies to chew on.

For the Allies it was one frustrating frame.

I would accept the critique that it broke the spirit of SO's.
Ludere Vincere