Author Topic: New Main Arena I'm building (screenshots included)  (Read 9973 times)

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
New Main Arena I'm building (screenshots included)
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2004, 11:15:56 AM »
Originally posted by Citabria
because of the way we are taught to read the natural progression and flow of fighting in a main arena goes left to right and top to bottom.

because of this the country in the south or southeast is the side that will be hit most often not because of any weakness but because of the intuitive flow of the fighting.

on festerMA all 3 sides are identical but players percieve the north side to be unbeatable and the southeast side to be a gangbang corner.

thus to actually balance each side the lower country needs to be given slight tactical advantages to combat the higher amount of attacks the side recieves.

Thanks for the explanation. Which confirms exactly what I thought the answer would be. However im not totally convinced that this is always true. It is my observation that when a map is reset and a fresh one loads, everyone immediately launches from whatever base the Game starts us at. This actually can and, does in most cases, dictate a maps out come, and who fights whom. Baltic in fact seems to work in reverse.  Players are started at A1, A22, and A43. A1 attacks A63, A22 attacks A21, A43 attacks A42. This is a Counter Clockwise rotation.  After Baltic runs for a few hours, it's inherent Weaknesses based on, Base altitudes  distance to target and void areas, dictate that the NE territory will be reset 98% of the time. The exception would be if the country occupying the NE section of the map would have a 90 to 100 player advantage over each of the other two countries. But of course this never happens :rolleyes: hehe. I actually have studied each Small map for hours upon hours on end, without ever logging a flight. Simply to watch the progression of battle and study the strengths and weaknesses of each territory. Each SMALL map has a definitive trait that dictates the outcome. Is there a way to cause players to be placed at random bases at the beginning of a fresh Map. This would Cause players to use their own discretion to make decisions about strategy. Thereby breaking the GAMES intervention to make that decision for them.  Anything to enhance player creativity would be a nice change. The large maps on the other hand are more Gamey rather than scenario based. Just some thoughts Keep up the good work fester.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2004, 11:20:13 AM »
Originally posted by Sway
HTC needs to hire this goon. :D  He puts almost all of his spare time into this damn game.  PAY THE MAN! :D

Along with several others. There are a lot of quality map makers for HTC. Thanks to all yous. :)

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2004, 11:50:13 AM »
Originally posted by F1Bomber
But what happens when the players on the south side has more numbers than the East or West?

It then turns the whole situation around. The east and west parts of the map are now in a disadvantage because of the South side being very hard now to taticaly get because of the slight defense they have.

This is just a over-view of the map and talking strat. Though, all 3 sides should have equal options to attack each othere.

Just my 2 cents.

ahhh   the NUMBERS issue.
Unfortunantly a lota players dont know or dont care. But the fact of the matter is, thats why its a Three country war...and not a TWO country war. This is supposed to be a self balancing system. Unfortuniantly many players dont take advantage of this Small BUT HUGE detail :D
Nope, Instead they develop a Hatred for a certian "Chess Piece"
and live to destroy dem dirty KNIGHTS...or ROOKS...or BISHOPS. :rofl
I called for the KNIGHTS and the BISHOPS to allie a short while back on the AKdesert map for that very reason. The ROOKS had 80 to 100 player advantage over both the Knights and the Bishops. And the ROOK HORD was Plowing through both Fronts with out much trouble at all. Why? Cause both the Bish and Nits were scatered all over the map on both fronts in small groups. This is fine as long as the third country doesnt have a BIG player advantage. We must learn to adapt! and use different aproaches that the games design offers to counter such an advantage. Rooks took 42 bases in 4.5 hours that late afternoon and early evening. To my amazment Most of the Knights and Bishops, prolly 85% to 90% on both sides, agreed to the alliance and we were rolling along in no time. :) The Bish too back 22 bases in a few hours and the Nits grabed a few. Unfortunantly It was to late to really stop the Rooks because the Kights had all their barracks destroyed along the Rook/Nit front, and couldnt capture any Rook bases. In fact we let the Knights take a few bases to try to give them a cushion. There were a few Hard Headed Bish that complained that the Knights were not holding to the alliance. But i tried to explain to them that the Knights had NO Choice at that time. Anyways, the Number advantage CAN be countered as long as the TWO underdog countries are willing to use the games built in balancing system.
salute!:aok

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2004, 11:52:39 AM »
Originally posted by gofaster
Yep.  That's it.  A U-shaped island where one part of the volcano rim has collapsed and the center has filled with ocean water.  The island is actually the rim of the extinct volcano.  Bikini atoll is a famous example.

Not necessarily; an atoll can also be formed from a volcanic island that grows a ring of coral around it, then settles and erodes over time; as it sinks, the coral grows higher, until the coral ring is the only part sticking up:

In the intermediate stage, you find atolls that have a central island and a barrier reef around the island:

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2004, 12:04:22 PM »
im not interested in forcing land based dweebs to fly far to find a fight. it didnt work in bigisles it wont work here.

Which brings us to another thought. Notice how furballers complain about "Capture the Flag" players? Notice how the "Capture the Flag" Players complain about "Furballers"?
I still think Aces High Needs a "Fighter Town" arena like Airwarrior had. It most definitely curtailed this scenario better than AH has in the 2 years i have been here. We have a Dueling Arena. But it seems used more for settling arguments and training more than anything else. Also the DA has no ongoing scoring record. or does it?

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2004, 12:48:45 PM »
Pongonesia of course.
Looks good Cit.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2004, 01:56:45 PM »
who ordered atolls?

midway island
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2004, 02:23:43 PM »
i vote fester to join the CM terrian team!
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2004, 02:43:57 PM »
Skull, Fester is welcome on the Terrain Team (and we've already told him as much) but it wouldn't leave him any time to do MA maps, which he said he'd rather spend his time on :)

CMs don't work on MA stuff.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2004, 04:12:20 PM »
how is the water?

The water looks good enough to surf in.  :cool:

Fester,
How about naming the fields after pilots (or, squads) in AH?  Yea, AW did it already.  But, it's more fun to defend a base that has an original name, ya know?

Just a thought.

TBolt

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2004, 05:39:20 PM »
Very Nice!

10 carriers per country sounds really cool too. Looks good Fester

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2004, 06:32:05 PM »
How about New Grizzly (starts with G and ends with long EE sound)?  =oD

Old Grizzly

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2004, 02:59:26 AM »
if i could name bases after pilots or squads I would do so.
but current limitations of the editor make it a umbers only thing

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2004, 07:53:16 AM »
Nice map,
couple suggestions/questions

those large land masses.

Why not just fillem all with GV bases placed away form the aireilds? That would give the GV crowd plenty to fight over.

Orrrr

Get rid of the land masses altogether and  just put more islands with bases?

Just a thought
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2004, 08:18:52 AM »
less is more.

if you use the entire 512 area it spreads everything out to thin.

as to gv routes out there i havent decided yet.