Author Topic: Georgia considers banning 'evolution'  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
Georgia considers banning 'evolution'
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2004, 12:23:42 AM »
For crying out loud...for such a supposedly open minded, high-moral ground, drum beating, soap-box standing types, you people kill me.  Here you are misrepresenting and slaming people of faith, associating them with terrorists and Nazis, and what do you sound like but a but of conceited, self-centered, anti-religious bigots.

I was hoping someone "on the other side of the issue" would notice that this change the is being discussed is being initiated by the secular government, not by a religious institution.  Unfortunately, you appear to all to ready and eager to grind whatever axe you have to grind.

I was hoping that someone would noticed that it was not banning evolution, but requesting a change in the wording used.  Same subject being taught.  As a matter of fact, the language being requested is more in-line with Darwin's original writings.  But you are to blind by your anger or bitterness or whatever to see anything but your own prejudices.

Who are you trying to convince, anyway...yourself?

Sheesh...come up with some new rhetoric at least ... please???

Out!
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2004, 12:50:56 AM »
Evolution and biological changes over time... isn't that like same thing, except 'evolution' is shorter version and more versatile in use?

I recommend cars should be called as "gasoline automobiles", "electric automobiles" etc., since the word 'car' is too confusing, not precise enough.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2004, 01:12:07 AM »
Seems they are trying to make it a little more palatable? "The Origin of the Species" is theory and many find it offensive or at least not fully substantiated. Their new title would seem to imply more of an observation of measureable events rather than a conclusion based on that observation. A more scientific approach imo.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2004, 01:36:59 AM »
Originally posted by MJHerman
Miko,

1. If Nazi extermination of Jews had nothing to do with religion, just what was the reason?

Miko can certainly answer for himself but I'll answer anyhow: money/power.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2004, 07:03:28 AM »
"Homeland Security"

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2004, 07:18:27 AM »
Originally posted by Munkii
Unfortunantly it's not very interesting rationale.  Infact it's mostly personal opinion, I didn't cite sources.    The reason it appears to be for profit to me, is all of the pastors I know have a lot nicer places to live than myself, drive nicer cars, and in general are always asking for money.  It appears to me to be fancy begging.  Where does all the money go?  All of the churches around my area have no programs for the poor, no special church functions for the general public.  Instead all they have are big buildings, lots of people, and ministers raking in the money.

Being from the south, you're bound to be familiar with "Southern Baptists"... I'll guarantee you if you live in a town of over 10,000 people you have multiple Baptist churches there, and I would be surprised to find not a single church has a social program of any kind for the poor. Some churches are big, some are small, but they all reach out.

All the ministers of all faiths I know live middle/lower middle class lifestyles. That seems reasonable to me.

Baptist churches all have deacons and a board of trustees that oversee money collection and distribution. They have state agencies that oversee the books. They have national organizations that check in on them. In short, I don't think you know what you're talking about, factually.

I used to be a race director (running road race) for a small Southern Indiana Baptist Church... I had ideas to boost the number of people attending, and therefore the profits of the race. The minister's response? "No! We do not want to give the appearance of doing this for money. We are doing this for the community, period."

Offline yowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2004, 09:53:33 AM »
Evolution is an "unproven theory"?  Wow.  Learn something new everyday.

Got to start going to church to keep with the latest scientific advances I guess.

yowser
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 09:55:57 AM by yowser »

Offline Munkii

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2004, 11:14:58 AM »
Originally posted by Kieran
Being from the south, you're bound to be familiar with "Southern Baptists"... I'll guarantee you if you live in a town of over 10,000 people you have multiple Baptist churches there, and I would be surprised to find not a single church has a social program of any kind for the poor. Some churches are big, some are small, but they all reach out.

All the ministers of all faiths I know live middle/lower middle class lifestyles. That seems reasonable to me.

Baptist churches all have deacons and a board of trustees that oversee money collection and distribution. They have state agencies that oversee the books. They have national organizations that check in on them. In short, I don't think you know what you're talking about, factually.

I used to be a race director (running road race) for a small Southern Indiana Baptist Church... I had ideas to boost the number of people attending, and therefore the profits of the race. The minister's response? "No! We do not want to give the appearance of doing this for money. We are doing this for the community, period."

When I wrote what I wrote, it was a sweeping acusation for sure, but not a realistic one.  I admit this freely.  I myself am not a religious person, but I don't balk when friends or family ask me to attend their churches.  I know of about 4 or 5 methodist churches that reach out, and actually do things for the community.  There are some Southern Babtist churches I've attended, and they make me sick.  They are always wanting more money, and all of their community outreach programs cost more again.  

Being a guest at all of the churches, I was surprised to see all of the congregation giving 5 and 10 dollar bills, when it looks as if they could barely afford to give a quarter.  I assumed then that it would be for things the church offered in return.  The only social programs they had where a volunteer daycare, which was only open on Sunday and Wednesday, and they had a "Summer Camp" for the kids.  It was a 3 day camping trip that cost each participant 300 dollars.   Now if they are collecting as much money every Sunday as they did on the Sundays I was there 51 weekends a year, they could afford to send 20 kids on a 3 day camping trip without charging them 300 dollars.  The ministers at all the churches I've been too have all driven nicer cars than me, but again that doesn't mean much.

I'm honestly not trying to offend anyone, but just relaying my experiences.

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2004, 11:45:08 AM »
Originally posted by yowser
Evolution is an "unproven theory"?  Wow.  Learn something new everyday.

Got to start going to church to keep with the latest scientific advances I guess.

yowser

I know this will fall on deaf ears, but the truth is, it is unproven in the scientific sense.  There is, what some would call, evidence to support the theory, but as yet it is unproven.  To be proven their would have to be a transitionary fossil or living example, an no such example exists.

Furthermore, it is unprovable.  The very nature of the theory makes it unprovable.  For a theory to be provable you have to be able to get readily reproducible results in a controlled environment.  You simply cannot do that with evolution.  Even if you could, the fact that it was "controlled" would negate the idea the idea of "natural" selection.

Anyway, not that it matters.

By the way...your bigotry is showing.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2004, 12:08:25 PM »
Originally posted by Blammo
I know this will fall on deaf ears, but the truth is, it is unproven in the scientific sense.  There is, what some would call, evidence to support the theory, but as yet it is unproven.  To be proven their would have to be a transitionary fossil or living example, an no such example exists.

Furthermore, it is unprovable.  The very nature of the theory makes it unprovable.  For a theory to be provable you have to be able to get readily reproducible results in a controlled environment.  You simply cannot do that with evolution.  Even if you could, the fact that it was "controlled" would negate the idea the idea of "natural" selection.

Anyway, not that it matters.

By the way...your bigotry is showing.

Umm, no.  Science is a method for testing and disproving theories.  If the theory cannot be disproven then it is often regarded as fact.  Science can never prove anything to be true, just disprove it.  Evolution can't be proved, but it fails to be disproved, repeatedly - which is all science can do.    

Creationism, scientific creationism, or whatever you want to call it, cannot be disproved because its main premise relies on supernatural processes that cannot be reproduced by man.  It's not science, it's faith, and has no place in a science classroom.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2004, 12:13:44 PM »
Munkii-

All I can tell you is you aren't going to see everything a church offers just by visiting on a Sunday morning. Most churches make enough money to keep in operation and do outreach, but make a profit? Not likely. There are exceptions to every rule, but the rule would be break even.

We (my wife and I) tithe a full 10% of our salaries, as we are instructed Biblicly. I can see where it all goes, and it isn't into the pastor's new car or house.

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2004, 12:35:37 PM »
Finally! One of our politicians is busy doing something worthwhile. Our schools have for far too long taken the mere word of a small group of tens of thousands of scientists who, after spending only their entire careers studying only hundreds of thousands of fossils for only a century and a half, have dared to force the "E" word down the throats of our poor, unsuspecting children. Why should we trust science books written by scientists? It's about time our leaders took a stand.

And after we straighten out the biology curriculum, we need to get after the math classes. For example, math books state the value of pi is 3.14. This is based on faith alone, along with the computations of just a few thousand mathematicians. But in Second Chronicles, chapter four, verse two, Solomon clearly states the value of pi is 3. Who are YOU going to believe?

The geology classes need fixing too. They claim the Grand Canyon is millions of years old and formed by a river cutting through rock. Of course they conveniently don’t mention the fact that nobody actually observed the formation of the Grand Canyon and the earth is only about six thousand years old. Plus, rock is way harder than water anyway. Therefore I don’t understand how this could happen so it’s obviously wrong.

Besides, what's all this science got us anyway? Sure, they figured out what germs are, and how to grow more food, make the milk and water safe, and wipe out small pox. So they figured out electricity, made airplanes and computers and put a man on the moon. But how do we know the good Lord didn't smite the small pox virus Himself and carry that space ship up there in the palm of His hand?

Yep. Once we get rid of Evilution let’s get going on the rest of this science stuff.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2004, 03:50:41 PM »
Originally posted by Tarmac
Umm, no.  Science is a method for testing and disproving theories.  If the theory cannot be disproven then it is often regarded as fact.  Science can never prove anything to be true, just disprove it.  Evolution can't be proved, but it fails to be disproved, repeatedly - which is all science can do.

Um, no, I am afraid you are incorrect. For instance, mathematical "science" is used to both prove and disprove.

Let's put your idea of what science is to the test:  I say there are giant massive purple polar bears at the center of the earth that use their magical powers to keep the earth spinning and everything from flying off of it.  Now, disprove me.  You can't?  Then it must be true.

See, you have to understand scientific method in order to understand the why something is disproved, why something remains a theory and why something becomes what is called "law" in science.

For instance, Boyles Law, the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics, Newton's Laws of motion, etc, all started as ideas or hypothesis.  Through test they were, and still are, consistently demonstrated to be true.

The Theory of Relativity, Evolutionary Theory, SuperString Theory, etc, remain unvalidated because we do not currently posses the means to validate them.

Argue all you want, but that is the way it is.  Geez...evolutionist act all insulted when you remind them Evolution is a theory (and not even a monolithic one at that).

By the way, just for review, this is the scientific method:

1. Observation and description of a phenomenon or group of phenomena.

2. Formulation of an hypothesis to explain the phenomena.

3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.

4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.

And, point of order, Darwin never observed "evolution" and neither has anyone else.  He observed small adaptive differences within a species.  Evolution, by definition, cannot be observed because it is biological changes over time.  Time being the keyword because generally, evolutionists talk in terms of geological ages (hundreds of thousands of year or more).

In short, since scientific method cannot be applied to evolution, it will remain "theory".

Get it?  By the way, theory is not even really accurate.  It is more accurate to continue to call it a hypothesis.

Of course, the typical evolutionist is so bigoted and close minded they will thoroughly reject this notion and cringe when they hear it.  Sense, logic and science have no place when discussing evolution, after all.

Creationism, scientific creationism, or whatever you want to call it, cannot be disproved because its main premise relies on supernatural processes that cannot be reproduced by man. It's not science, it's faith, and has no place in a science classroom.

According to your notion of what science is, the lack of ability to disprove it (whether natural, supernatural or massive purple polar bears) would class it as science.  You can't change your logic and rules in midstream.  Why, that would make you seem inconsistent and call into questions to very foundation of any idea you subscribe.

However, intelligent design, while observable, cannot be ultimately proven.  There is a point where, based on evidence (or in the case of evolution, the lack of it) that you have to take the next logical step.  Based on your established position, evolution would have no place in the classroom either.

Anyway, like I said before, it would fall on deaf ears and it did. Hey, there's at least one theory that has been proven.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2004, 04:04:59 PM »
Originally posted by Blammo
Let's put your idea of what science is to the test:  I say there are giant massive purple polar bears at the center of the earth that use their magical powers to keep the earth spinning and everything from flying off of it.  Now, disprove me.  You can't?  Then it must be true.

Your purple polar bear theory is not science, and therefore cannot be objectively disproven, because it is not testable.  I said:

Science is a method for testing and disproving theories.  

To scientifically disprove the theory, it first has to be testable.  The purple polar bear theory is not testable because we have no method to drill to the center of the earth to find them, no sensors to detect their magical powers, or any other means of establishing evidence of their existence even through roundabout means.  

Likewise, creation is not testable by any current means, and is therefore not science.  

In my mind the only argument against evolution is the one that it is not testable because the time horizon is too long.  This draws on your definition of testable - it would take millions of years to recreate evolution on the scale it is seen in the world, but it is possible to see evidence of evolution on smaller time horizons.  It's up to your/our/science's judgement to determine whether these small time horizons are applicable to the larger time horizon of evolution.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2004, 04:21:04 PM »
Scientists don't know everything Myelo, that's why they're scientists and not God.
:D

Les