Author Topic: Scotland: Stop sale of knives, says McConnell  (Read 1079 times)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Scotland: Stop sale of knives, says McConnell
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2004, 06:55:12 PM »
This news makes us very happy!!!  :lol

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2004, 07:25:40 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
I'm glad they are finally addressing the "sharp instrument" problem. First Scotland, then England.

Butter knives, of course, should remain unbanned. Forks will have to have rounded, dull tips but not quite to the extent of a spoon.

No price it to high. Turn in those pen knives, lads!
And why not! It works for the airlines. :aok

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2004, 12:12:51 PM »
It does?

lazs

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2004, 10:49:11 AM »
"When they came for the stranger, I said nothing.  When they came for the neighbor, I said nothing.  When they came for my brother, I said nothing.  When they came for me...I pulled out my Smith&Wesson and put one right between the eyes!"  Or something like that.

Anyway, there are plenty who made light of gun-control opponents when they suggested that, "Next, they'll have to ban knives."  No laughing here.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2004, 03:48:56 AM »
Knives have been banned for decades. You're not allowed to carry a blade that is over a certain length or if it is of a certain type (e.g. flick-knife or hilted). Sorry to rain on your parade.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 03:54:08 AM by Dowding »
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2004, 06:18:33 AM »
Yeah, I remember that too, Sabre.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2004, 08:58:22 AM »
Obviously, the present knife ban is insufficient. There must be further confiscation and registration. BTW, it's not just knives; it's "sharp instruments". Scissors and such must be regulated as well.

Don't worry; you'll still be able to use scissors at licensed, recognized clubs. After you check them out, of course.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2004, 09:07:05 AM »
Watch for the "Pointy Stick" Amendment. Coming Soon....
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2004, 09:11:57 AM »
dowding... apparently the "flick" and "hilted" bans weren't good enough to make people be nice to each other... further draconian measures are needed.  

Perhaps a "naked only" rule for people out in public?  Maybe a little plastic impervious bubble for each and every citizen?

lazs

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2004, 09:21:34 AM »
So there are no laws regarding the carrying of offensive weapons in public in the US?

apparently the "flick" and "hilted" bans weren't good enough to make people be nice to each other... further draconian measures are needed.

Apparently the proliferation of "flick" and "hilted" weapons weren't good enough to make people be nice to each other... further proliferation is obviously needed.

Switchblade for every child! Bowie knife for every adolescent!
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2004, 09:45:15 AM »
I say:

STAB THEM WITH YOUR PLASTIC SPORKS!!!!!!!!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2004, 10:16:53 AM »
Don't worry, if you're long-time meat eater with lots of steak house restaurant credit card bills to back up your claim you'll probably be able to get a concealed carry license for a short sharp instrument. Maybe a 1 inch cutting edge; nothing larger than that really necessary to cut throught a steak. Whetstones, of course, will still be down at the local constabulary. You'll have to retake the test and requalify every time it needs sharpening.

The Indian food fanatics need not apply; curried fare doesn't really need a knife. Same with the Italian food faction.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2004, 10:18:43 AM »
Toad - milking unfunny glib-itudes since... forever.

So there are no laws regarding the carrying of offensive weapons in public in the US?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2004, 10:27:07 AM »
Sure there are. We just don't ban stuff wholesale like you guys though.

Yeah, I find this unfunny stuff absolutely hilarious, given the previous discussions on this BBS.

This news from Scotland ties in so well with the previous "sharp instrument" debate I have to smile. It seems no absurdity is absurd enough over there. Here we were making an huge joke of such an absurd idea and the First Minister of Scotland actually proposes to start down that road. Using the firearm trail as a guide, they probably won't stop until no home has anything sharper than a butter knife and a spork. Well, that'd be the law-abiding homes. Your criminals will somehow still miraculously be able to arm themselves with "sharp instruments".

:D

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2004, 10:30:35 AM »
Dowd,
 Here in Cali, it is a felony to have Nunchuck? (the two sticks with a chain in between) or most martial arts weapons,(well it used to be at least, but it has been a few years since I picked up the penal code book) But you can carry a full on 8 inch plus fixed blade combat knife on your belt as long as it is not concealed!

I knew a boyscout, who carried a Cold Steel Tanto with a ten inch blade on his belt everywhere! He even named it. Strange little fellow he was.