Author Topic: To be PC, or not to be PC....  (Read 6166 times)

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
To be PC, or not to be PC....
« on: April 03, 2004, 04:21:29 PM »
It's ironically funny/sad that some that espouse the "Good old days of family values, etc" are the ones most complaining against being "politically correct."

Being 42 myself, I remember a time where I was taught to say:
Sir, Ma'am, Miss, etc.
Please. Thank you.
Was taught to be considerate of others.
Sorry, but even though it was accepted at the time, my family didn't use racial epithets as my sister and I would usually be a victim of the J** label because my mother is Japanese (She grew up in Tokyo and "lived" through the horror of the fire-bombing by the B-29s) and my father is white (served proudly in the US Navy for 28 years).

I have questions for those of you that feel a need to use racial epithets to get a point across:
1) Why?
2) Is this the sort of attitude and language you'd like to see our youth learn and mimic?
3) What on earth is wrong in being politically correct? You'd think it'd be a criminal act to see some responses!

I'm going to ask to please stop referring to other nationalities in such a derogatory way. It's unbecoming of civilized folk to talk/type that way.
Thank you.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 04:33:55 PM »
good post and good point :)

this should deff be a sticky.

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
Re: To be PC, or not to be PC....
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 05:12:30 PM »
Originally posted by SaburoS
It's ironically funny/sad that some that espouse the "Good old days of family values, etc" are the ones most complaining against being "politically correct."

Being 42 myself, I remember a time where I was taught to say:
Sir, Ma'am, Miss, etc.
Please. Thank you.
Was taught to be considerate of others.
Sorry, but even though it was accepted at the time, my family didn't use racial epithets as my sister and I would usually be a victim of the J** label because my mother is Japanese (She grew up in Tokyo and "lived" through the horror of the fire-bombing by the B-29s) and my father is white (served proudly in the US Navy for 28 years).

I have questions for those of you that feel a need to use racial epithets to get a point across:
1) Why?
2) Is this the sort of attitude and language you'd like to see our youth learn and mimic?
3) What on earth is wrong in being politically correct? You'd think it'd be a criminal act to see some responses!

I'm going to ask to please stop referring to other nationalities in such a derogatory way. It's unbecoming of civilized folk to talk/type that way.
Thank you.

Falling on deaf ears with most of the folks here, Sakai. You'll be probably  be asked, ironically,  to "lighten up" or be branded as some bleeding heart liberal.

Good luck!

Offline LAWCobra

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.lawsquadron.cjb.net
Re: To be PC, or not to be PC....
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 05:46:13 PM »
proudly in the US Navy for 28 years).

1) Why?
makes em feel like big shots

It Is our youth ! adults dont speak that way

Dont like PC but I do like good manners.

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 05:50:45 PM »
SaburoS,

I believe in beeing polite to others. I don't believe the current wave of ultra PCness is necessary. At 57 and having lived in another country for most of my formative years I learned early not to tag people with a brand.

I think common sense must come into this.  I think it has reached a point where too many are being ultra sensitive (not you in this case) and either looking for some personal attention or an advantage.

Yes I support the need to be polite, not necessarily PC.
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 06:03:50 PM »
Sab ever circus has its clowns.

Sorry off topic here, Sab have you had the chance yet to test the Nikon D70 ?

Can it hold a candle to the Canon D10 Cmos in relationship to noise with low/ bright light exposures?

thx...

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 06:08:22 PM »
I agree with Mark Luper here.

Being against PC does not mean that you are impolite, and vice versa. Being PC does not imply that you are polite.

As a matter of fact, PC is just a clever technique of pushing unpopular or sometimes abhorring ideas down someone's throat, not by the power of a reasonable debate, but by using a (very impolite)  threat of name calling and by presumming an intellectual superiority.

something like

"All intelligent and educated people support the notion that... fill the rest"
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 06:11:08 PM by mietla »

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 06:31:11 PM »
Originally posted by Torque
Sab ever circus has its clowns.

Sorry off topic here, Sab have you had the chance yet to test the Nikon D70 ?

Can it hold a candle to the Canon D10 Cmos in relationship to noise with low/ bright light exposures?

thx...

Actually I haven't yet. But it does seem to be the better camera in its class. Seems Nikon is calling the D70 the successor to the D100 and the specs seem to support this. Someone choosing the D70 over the DRebel, D100, or the 10D and I'd say they got the best camera for their money. I'd still choose the Canon for the lenses as the Nikon's seem to be more expensive for the equivilent Canon lens. Canon offers more lenses as well (If that matters). For the camera body, I'd say Nikon just took the lead in that class.
As far as the noise issue, I feel the Canon CMOS has less visible noise in the higher ISO ranges (800 and over) over Nikon's CCD (I haven't seen images from Nikon's D70 so I can't really comment here). However I believe that the noise levels are pretty much a non-issue as the software offerings out there (NIK's Dfine for one) pretty much even out the field between Canon and Nikon.
If one is starting out with their first digital SLR and they didn't have a lens collection, go with the D70 as long as the lens offerings by Nikon (or 3rd party offerings) are sufficient for their type of photography.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 06:46:24 PM »
Originally posted by mietla
I agree with Mark Luper here.

Being against PC does not mean that you are impolite, and vice versa. Being PC does not imply that you are polite.

As a matter of fact, PC is just a clever technique of pushing unpopular or sometimes abhorring ideas down someone's throat, not by the power of a reasonable debate, but by using a (very impolite)  threat of name calling and by presumming an intellectual superiority.

something like

"All intelligent and educated people support the notion that... fill the rest"

Someone throwing names, insults, etc in their argument is not being "PC." They've lost the argument at that point.
If we're talking about articles where one is wailing against "master" and "slave" labels on cd and hard drives, then yes, I agree that that type of "PC" is getting out of hand.
My comments opening this thread is based on the observations of some supposedly using racist labels, insults, etc in their arguments/statements and then whining about being sick and tired of the PC crowd. Seems the same group wonders why we've gone to a hell-in-a-handbasket world, and what happened to the "good old days" of family values, etc.
I believe that good manners, politeness, and respect are part of being "PC." IMHO of course.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 06:49:06 PM »
I believe that good manners, politeness, and respect are part of being "PC." IMHO of course.

Well, that sounds like the difference then.  A lot of people see PC as being totally separate from the other three you listed.  As in far below.  Myself included.  

If someone told me I was being impolite or disrespectful, I'd probably apologize or change my behavior.  If someone told me I was being un-PC, I'd probably tell them to piss off.

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Re: Re: To be PC, or not to be PC....
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2004, 06:49:37 PM »
Originally posted by Red Tail 444

Falling on deaf ears with most of the folks here, Sakai. You'll be probably  be asked, ironically,  to "lighten up" or be branded as some bleeding heart liberal.

Good luck!

~S~!
Thanks, but isn't it ironic that what I espouse to see are nice, conservative values. Nothing wrong with being a (cough) conservative (cough) here. :)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2004, 07:09:09 PM »
Nice post Saburo.

Unforyunately "PC speak" has nothing to do with decency or respect.... It's a forced and false veneer and therfore not genuinely caring or considerate of others.

However your message is good one and I hope you think about reframing it away from the idea of PC attitudes for they have nothing in commom with what you are trying to communicate.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 07:10:05 PM »
I am polite and respectful.  I am not PC.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 07:11:24 PM »
Actually I haven't yet. But it does seem to be the better camera in its class. Seems Nikon is calling the D70 the successor to the D100 and the specs seem to support this. Someone choosing the D70 over the DRebel, D100, or the 10D and I'd say they got the best camera for their money. I'd still choose the Canon for the lenses as the Nikon's seem to be more expensive for the equivilent Canon lens. Canon offers more lenses as well (If that matters). For the camera body, I'd say Nikon just took the lead in that class.
As far as the noise issue, I feel the Canon CMOS has less visible noise in the higher ISO ranges (800 and over) over Nikon's CCD (I haven't seen images from Nikon's D70 so I can't really comment here). However I believe that the noise levels are pretty much a non-issue as the software offerings out there (NIK's Dfine for one) pretty much even out the field between Canon and Nikon.
If one is starting out with their first digital SLR and they didn't have a lens collection, go with the D70 as long as the lens offerings by Nikon (or 3rd party offerings) are sufficient for their type of photography.

D70 is showing some serious problems with moire, it's really the only concern I have with this camera right now.. :( :D

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2004, 07:31:30 PM »
I am not, nor will I ever pretend to be PC.  I find what others consider to be "PC" language and presentation often to be false or hypocritical. I'm no saint.. I'm am  predjudiced against certain races.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 09:20:08 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve