Author Topic: Bill Cosby on the need to speak 'English'  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Bill Cosby on the need to speak 'English'
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2004, 01:46:04 AM »
All things being "equal" nowadays... not one of us would trade our upbringing for a black kid's in a million years... despite alla so-called equalness and the american dream and alla that.

That in itself, at least to me, shatters a delusion or two.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 01:53:40 AM by Nash »

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2004, 01:54:18 AM »
Originally posted by Nash
You start by saying "too many black kids in the US today are confused".

You end by saying "[rappers like 50 cent] just gives them a bad idea about life."

So then.... The confused kids grow up to be the confusing rappers spawning a whole new generation of confused kids that grow up to be confusing rappers.

But if only it were that simple...

Yeah... it's all rap's fault.

"DING DING DING" my arse.

Nash you are right its not that simple....I oversteped here.  Really what I am saying is that I agree with cosby.  Kids today...white or black sit there an idolize with a drugdealer that has made a couple of million.  what kind of message does that send to our KIDS?  

I'm not saying its easy but I think....I THINK...this generation..white or black needs to take a look at themselves.

I saw a guy walkin down the street  holding his pants......this guy was walking in his boxers carying his jeans wearing a white tank top  (commonly referred to as a wife beater).  Now did this guy look like somone I'd offer a ride to if neaded...NO!   It doesnt matter if he was white black brown or purple he was a disgrace and I KNOW people have seen his type!

I'm not being racist here but the cultualist needs to prevail.....do they really want a rapper like .50 cent representing them?

On the flipside....I like Eminem but I dont want him representing me as a white man

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2004, 01:58:08 AM »
Well if ya wanna describe a black stereotype, you can do way worse than that.

Gimme a solution to Iraq and I'll give you a solution to US black culture.

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2004, 03:50:35 AM »
Yeah raping is bad but, rapping isnt the only music. The only influence rock is not that holly either. I say dont pinpoint it on rap or color i see white guys doing the same things that black guys do. At the end its what kids think is cool they think that is a style but,insted of critasizing them we should go  out there show them that education is cool. we look up to the adults how we supposed to do that when yo uguys talking about us. How bout a little less talk and more action :aok  thats whats going to change something.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2004, 04:17:26 AM »
Originally posted by jetb123
Yeah raping is bad but, rapping isnt the only music.

Raping is even against the law, and rapping isn't even music.

Now Hank's stuff was music.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
      • http://mysite.verizon.net/res0v1l1
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2004, 05:37:17 AM »
Let's not forget Waylon J. either :)

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2004, 07:04:09 AM »
Originally posted by Nash
Gimme a solution to Iraq and I'll give you a solution to US black culture.

I can solve both with one device but I ain't gonna go there.  :D

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2004, 07:05:30 AM »
I can solve both with one device but I ain't gonna go there.

Ooh! Ooh! I know! Some of those Chinese finger puzzles, right?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2004, 08:44:15 AM »
don't be silly.. it is not economic it is cultural/ethnic.   I can understand poor white kids about 90% of the time..  If I can't then the hell with em.   I can't understand any ghetto black lingo so the hell with em.   It is up to them to make me understand when they are sitting across from me on a hiring bord not the other way around.

Cosby is right.  I can understand Cosby when he talks.

lazs

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2004, 08:49:11 AM »
he's dead on in that speech and it's not just black kids.  I hear my kids white, asian & Mexican friends speaking the same way.   a lot to do with the music they listen too, and just what they think 'sounds cool'.

as a parent you just have to do your job and get a handle on it from the beginning.  my kids are grounded if I hear the ghetto talk spewing from their mouths.  Friends who come over will be sent home for it.  

you speak English in my house.  over the years I've even been OK with Russian, German, Chinese, Laotian, and Vietnamese.  most any other languages are OK too,  just don't come over speaking 'fluent ignorant'.

getting a good job and earning a decent living are hard enough without crippling yourself from the start.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2004, 08:56:52 AM »
and that is the point... if you cripple yourself by your own hand then don't go on about injustice...

lazs

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2004, 09:33:19 AM »
Hey whatever Nash If you dont think kids need to learn proper english from thier parents thats your dumb opinion I guess.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2004, 10:01:10 AM »
another thing I forgot to add.

often when discussions like this come up there is immediately a fall back to the argument that it is racial because the parents don't have the skills, so they are unable to make sure the kids have the skills.

BS, there are plenty of parents in my area from just about any nationality you would care to name.  many of these parents speak little or no English themselves.  these families have been in this country a very short time(with even the children born over-seas), and while a lot of the adults speak little English, the children speak it clearly, and without the ghetto trash lingo.

so while there is no doubt that it helps,  it is not absolutely necessary for a parent to posses a skill in order to instill in their children the value of the skill.

Offline strk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2004, 10:16:20 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
"PICTURE PAGES ITS PICTURE PAGES ITS LOTS FUN W/ CRAYONS AND A PENCILE"

WOW.....that And nickoldean's "pinwheel", and Fragile rock were my favorite shows growing up.

young pups!  when I was growing up we hd 4 channels, and there was romper room then sesame street and that was about it except for bozo or captain kangaroo.

Then along came Fat Albert!! Yeah-buh!  I-buh Loved-buh Fat-buh Alberts-buh.

After creating mushmouth, why is Bill busting on the dialects today?  That guy was hardly understandable either.

"Tell Bill to have a coke and a smile and shut the **** up" - Richard Pryor hehe

Offline strk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2004, 10:24:45 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
Hey whatever Nash If you dont think kids need to learn proper english from thier parents thats your dumb opinion I guess.

What if the parents don't speak english?  Does his opinion get any smarter then?