Author Topic: Farenheit 911 Palme d'or of Canne 2004  (Read 2356 times)

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
Farenheit 911 Palme d'or of Canne 2004
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2004, 04:46:02 PM »
Is there something rotten in the land of freedom?

Maybe there's jsut something rotten about Mr Moore.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2004, 05:06:08 PM »
Originally posted by Cabby44
Who cares.....

When a post has that rare quality wot draws you out and causes you to bless us with one of your rare but always entertaining appearences, the answer to your question is: you do. :D

Offline Ouaibe

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2004, 05:09:49 PM »
[EDIT] Deleted 'cause double post, sorry...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2004, 05:15:58 PM by Ouaibe »

Offline Ouaibe

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2004, 05:15:10 PM »
AkWeav,
Maybe there's jsut something rotten about Mr Moore.

Maybe, but you'll never know untill the movie is on the air on your country. Freedom of speech everyone?

Cabby44,
Maybe. BTW, what "leading light of the world" country do YOU live in, pal?? Oh yeah, France. 'Nuff said....

I see no 'Leading light' over Europe or USA my friend. We leave in a period of fear where no one can clame the 'i've got the truth' flag. Being the economical giant doesn't grant USA the 'leading light' as France cannot clame the 'guardian of human rights' as it would like to be.

Open your eyes, every country, people, leaders have their flows. Claming overwise is just stupid.

Offline StabbyTheIcePic

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2004, 06:06:53 PM »
Being anti bush is not anti american. Sorry....

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2004, 06:15:14 PM »
Originally posted by Ouaibe
The funny part is that the only country where no distributor wants his documentary is USA.

hehe may be some Ego related problems .... or its not good enough for sutch cool people :D

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2004, 06:49:04 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
I'm not so sure their opposition didn't work. May have opened many eyes to the deceitfulness of Moore and those so willing to swallow whole his lies.

Deceitfulness and Lies, Cripes for a moment there I thought you were talking about the star of the movie himself.  :lol

...-Gixer

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2004, 08:15:06 PM »
doINg great so far....keep it up :)

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2004, 08:25:59 PM »
Maybe, but you'll never know untill the movie is on the air on your country.

Moore is so full of bs I don't have to see the movie.  Just listen to some of the stuff he spouts.  That wacko ain't getting any of my money.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2004, 09:57:15 PM »
Originally posted by Ouaibe
Maybe, but you'll never know untill the movie is on the air on your country. Freedom of speech everyone?

Once again, an affirmation that many Europeans have no idea at all what the US Constitution guarantees as "Freedom of Speech".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2004, 10:00:55 PM »
Whaa Toad?

Does Moore's film somehow fall outside of the US constitution's guarantee of free speech?

I thought it was a business thing...

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2004, 10:15:29 PM »
Nash, obviously a distributor's decision to take a film and market it is a business decision.

Thus, a comment like:

The funny part is that the only country where no distributor wants his documentary is USA.

Followed by

Maybe, but you'll never know untill the movie is on the air n your country. Freedom of speech everyone?

from the same poster indicates to me that this poster has no concept of "free speech" as any Yank familiar with our Constitution understands it.

To simplify for those so impaired:

Moore's film is unrestricted in any sense. He's free to film whatever he wants. The decision to distribute/market it here is likewise totally unrestricted.

If a distributor feels this film will make his business some money, I'm quite sure it will be picked up and shown widely.

It's that simple. If the distributors think it'll make money, it'll get wide play.

If not, it'll probably be like Gigli. Gigli didn't get shown much; was that a "freedom of speech issue"? :rofl
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2004, 10:17:19 PM »
My only comment on this is that Moore should be held criminally negligible and grossly slanderous should any of his "documentary" turns out to be false...

Sad that politics granted him and award...  :rolleyes:
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2004, 10:26:44 PM »
Yup I agree with ya Toad.

But how about this...

Maybe freedom of speech is starting to fall outside of the sole perview of the constitution?

I don't know if it's it true, but word on the street was that Disney balked on releasing it because they were in negotiations for tax creds with none other than Boosh's brother in Florida (Disney World).

That may or may not be true.

But the undeniable truth only eluding those most naive is that it could easily BE true.

So the mere citing of the constitution really doesn't mean a lot when it comes to free speech. Lets be realistic.

It's akin to saying thou shall not commit adultry, and that it doesn't happen because it was written.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2004, 10:41:17 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
So the mere citing of the constitution really doesn't mean a lot when it comes to free speech. Lets be realistic.

Realistic is that constitutionally the government cannot stop me from writing a book critical of the government. But I still must find a publisher willing to invest the publishing, distribution, and advertising costs to get the book to the public.

And I must be willing to take a few rotten tomatoes thrown by those who are free to disagree with me.

Freedom of speech means I won't be jailed.  It doesn't mean I won't be criticized.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!