Author Topic: Farenheit 911 Palme d'or of Canne 2004  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Farenheit 911 Palme d'or of Canne 2004
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »
Horsepuckey.

If what you say about Disney is true, that would still be a business decision.

If Disney was afraid that releasing it would pork their efforts to feed at the Florida public trough...... that's a business decision.

It's a simple cost/benefit analysis, one made by Disney, not a government.

Now, would it be legal for Jeb Bush to squash a Disney play for tax credits (and don't get me started on that pork barrel politics stuff!) over the release of a film?

Probably not, but I'm not sure the grounds would be the First. But it would be up to Disney to show that as the cause. I'm sure there's a zillion reasons to turn down a huge multi-national looking to suck at the public teat yet again. Additionally, there's a lot of ways to do it "neutrally". Put it up for a vote in the Legislature for instance.

For those who haven't bothered:

First Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

And for an explanation of what they meant when they wrote it, try:

FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION--SPEECH AND PRESS  

Nice try at stirring up the pot when it's empty Nash. Is this part of your contest?

Ta.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2004, 10:42:54 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
Realistic is that constitutionally the government cannot stop me from writing a book critical of the government. But I still must find a publisher willing to invest the publishing, distribution, and advertising costs to get the book to the public.

...and it might mean your book never gets released.

It's still free speach as far as the constitution is concerned.

But is it really?

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2004, 10:50:25 PM »
"Horsepucky"?

HORSEPUCKEY?!

SKUZZY this is OUTRAGEAS! WE NEED A FILTER UPDATE PRONTO-STYLE!!

Frankly? This is free speech run amok.

er okay... play time is over... Let's see...

Basically you say: It's not an infingement on free speech, it's a business decision.

If you can demonstrate such a clean separation from the government and business, then I'd like to see that. Barring that, I think it renders your 200 yr old doc a bit out to lunch.

Lets try and stay within the realm of reality here.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2004, 10:52:24 PM »
So the French love an anti-american movie?

SHOCKING!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2004, 10:55:23 PM »
Didn't read the link, did you Nash?

OK, you have to move over into the group that doesn't understand the US Constitutional guarantee of free speech.

Do yourself a favor. Read the link. It doesn't mean what you're trying to make it mean, no matter how long you try or how earnestly you want it to mean something else.

Sorry.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2004, 10:58:02 PM »
Originally posted by Nash

But is it really?

Yes.

Nash I gather you are in some sort of publishing or PR, right?

Has your firm done any neo-nazi promotional materials lately?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2004, 11:02:48 PM »
Originally posted by Nash

But is it really?

Yup.  I can still post it on the internet, xerox it off and self publish, or pass it out in leaflet form like Thomas Paine did.

Mel Gibson coudn't get his movie of a few months ago backed by any outside investors, so he exercised his freedom and paid for it and distributed it himself.

Moore had Disney fund the movie.  It was Disney's movie, not Moore's, and the balance sheet said so.  So now Disney sells the movie to the brothers who head the Miramax division, and now the movie is owned by those brothers.  It is still not owned by Moore.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2004, 11:03:36 PM »
Toad... K, I'll read the link (fully expecting to be buried in 300 pages of Toad-style burial tactics).... but okay.

Grun... I believe funked already did the "shocking" joke. Old.

Yer seriously asking if my firm has done any nazi stuff? That's just nuts. How are we supposed to do that when you keep walking out on our contract negotiations? You're in violation of your NDA here, btw.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2004, 11:05:47 PM »
It's about a one-pager. I think maybe you'll be able to move back to the other group if you read it.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2004, 11:07:38 PM »
HOLY SMOKES!

I just went to your link Toad.

Oh man, walla text. Go figure. Hows about you gimme the short version, you google warrior, you.

Just say what you surmise and make it relevant to what we're talking about. It's not hard.

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2004, 11:09:24 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Yes.

Nash I gather you are in some sort of publishing or PR, right?

Has your firm done any neo-nazi promotional materials lately?

Wait I thought nash was a fireman.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2004, 11:10:05 PM »
I'm a fire starter.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2004, 11:10:59 PM »
It's not that hard to read it and I've already said it here.

Suffice it to say, from what you've posted, you show you don't understand the First. The reason why is in that article.

If I spoon feed it to you....... you probably still won't "get it" because you'll think I'm not giving you the straight scoop.

Sorry.. take the 5 minutes.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2004, 11:13:38 PM »
Oh, yeah... don't forget to read Footnote 15, because if you don't, you'll probably be subject to yet another mistaken impression.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2004, 11:15:34 PM »
Okay Toad I *will* do this....

You better be damn sure it's supposed to make whatever point yer trying to make... er, its trying to make... which you can't seem to on your own.. er... wotev. I'll read it now.