Author Topic: what's up with the p38??  (Read 2233 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2004, 12:36:51 PM »
I appreciate the reply I got from Pyro ...

And that was ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2004, 12:51:51 PM »
Originally posted by Wilbus
Sorry Slapshot, I expressed my self in a bad way, what I ment with nobody being able to catch me was that nobody was able to get on my six. Not that I could outrun everybody (which I couldn't since there were both LA7's and P51's in the area). Nobody could catch me in the vertical or in turns, my P38, with a slight alt advantage and even without alt advantage, could hold its own while outnumbered. It is specially impressive in the vertical since there is no tourqe IMO and the Hammerheads can be made incredibly fast which no other plane in the intire game can challange.

I just don't agree with you all, it may take some time to get used to I don't know, but it isn't notably porked IMO.

Maybe I've been hitting the crack pipe way too much these last few weeks but I agree with Wilbuz.  Had no troubles against a Spit 9 and a N1K2 in a turn fight.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2004, 01:26:25 PM »
Originally posted by Wilbus
Well Bug, like I said, from my experience it performs great, noone could catch me when I flew in it last night. Got 7 kills without any problem.

So ...you were the P38 i chased all over God's Creation last night! :rofl

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2004, 01:27:49 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Maybe I've been hitting the crack pipe way too much these last few weeks but I agree with Wilbuz.  Had no troubles against a Spit 9 and a N1K2 in a turn fight.

ack-ack

I have had those encounters too, but attribute the success more to their inabilities as opposed to the abilities of my P-38. Didn't really need to push the envelope in those engagements.

The close fights that I have gotten into, I felt handcuffed in the AH II P-38 compared to the same circumstances while flying the AH I P-38. Captain Virgil Hilts has described it best and his experiences mirror mine. Low-speed - flaps and or rudder means instant flip.

Ack-Ack ... don't know what to tell ya ... it just doesn't feel right, compared to the intial Beta version of P-38.

I am not whining or complaining, I just want to make sure that this is really what its supposed to be like, and if so, I will live with it.

If this is what its supposed to be like, then the AH I P-38 is really wrong and totally UBER.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Killjoy2

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2004, 01:28:52 PM »
The AH2 P-38 has a lot of torque to the left on takeoff.   I checked to see if the props were in fact counter rotating and they were.

If this left torque is present at takeoff, its probably present at low speed manuevers and this might account for the flip-flops.  

In AH1 reduce the left engine power to simulate the left torque in AH2 and try some low speed manuevers and see if its the same.

I was suprised that the AH2 P-38 does not compress like any previous p-38.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2004, 01:37:45 PM »
The flaps might be the reason for the differing perceptions.  When I was flying it, I did not drop my flaps at all.  Now that I try it with flaps, it does get a bit squirrely.  Are you guys who are having problems talking about flaps down conditions?

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2004, 02:00:23 PM »
Yes Pyro ... where flaps were a saviour before, they are now instant death.

Are you flying it with CT or manual trim ?

Captain Virgil Hilts said ..

I too find myself struggling desperately to keep some speed when maneuvering, hearing the stall buzzer the instant I move the stick, and having those incredibly nasty departures when stalling, even at relatively high speeds and when nose down. It really seems to bleed speed way too fast and accelerate poorly when manuevering. When you get to 200 or so, any stick movement gives you a blaring stall horn. And you never get the speed back anywhere near as fast as you did, even nose down in WEP.

I experience all of this too. Nose down trim, pulling into a turn at 300 mph will set the stall horn off without much of a pull. If I trim nose up, speed drops drastically and it becomes very unstable and very hard to regain speed.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2004, 03:29:49 PM »
I fly the p38 only since the begining of this sim.

It's nice people give me tips.    

All i can say it is different in worse manner than in AH1.

:rolleyes:

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2004, 04:01:59 PM »
Well, I took it up with no combat trim enabled, flew fine, dropped down to low level and stall turned it with 1-3 notches of flap between 200 and 140 IAS...didnt stall, kept right on going. I dont see the problem. I encountered no "flops" at all. Compresses at the same speed (@ 500 IAS) in a dive, dive flaps work about the same as in AH1.

Overall my impression is its low speed handling is as good and its overall flight is no worse .
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2004, 04:02:33 PM »
From the comments here and in posts in the other boards it seems to me that the P-38 may be suffering from torque effects during high-g maneuvering.  If so, that is totally inaccurate.  The P-38 had no torque during normal flight or while maneuvering except when the pilot deliberately cut power to one of the engines.

Does the AH II P-38 display these same undesireable characteristics when turning both left and right...or does it react differently?

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2004, 04:03:46 PM »
I found no torque at all. Not at takeoff and not in flight either. You guys have your joysticks calibrated right?
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2004, 09:12:09 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
I have had those encounters too, but attribute the success more to their inabilities as opposed to the abilities of my P-38. Didn't really need to push the envelope in those engagements.

The close fights that I have gotten into, I felt handcuffed in the AH II P-38 compared to the same circumstances while flying the AH I P-38. Captain Virgil Hilts has described it best and his experiences mirror mine. Low-speed - flaps and or rudder means instant flip.

Ack-Ack ... don't know what to tell ya ... it just doesn't feel right, compared to the intial Beta version of P-38.

I am not whining or complaining, I just want to make sure that this is really what its supposed to be like, and if so, I will live with it.

If this is what its supposed to be like, then the AH I P-38 is really wrong and totally UBER.

You may be right.  My flying time in AH2 has been rather limited with my new work schedule so I haven't really been able to fly that much since the last two updates.  Got the day off tomorrow and Friday and plan to spend all day in AH2 to put the beast through its paces.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2004, 10:07:03 PM »
Yeah, whoa.  I was just going to post about how I thought it still was pretty good, but after updating to the latest beta (I still had 34 or something), it's really weird.

It's pretty stable with no flaps, but drop flaps and try to ride the stall and you feel like you're riding a bull in a rodeo.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 10:24:58 PM by Ecliptik »

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2004, 10:25:39 PM »
All I can say, is I hope they have objective data to model planes after and don't go the EQ rout of modeling planes (characters?) to players' likes and dislikes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 11:08:51 PM by TweetyBird »

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
what's up with the p38??
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2004, 05:14:00 AM »
This is the first plane whine in 4 years i made btw.