Author Topic: Chirac in the US and not going to attend Reagan's funeral?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Chirac in the US and not going to attend Reagan's funeral?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2004, 10:42:14 PM »
Reagan Funeral Puts Washington on High Security Alert

French President Jacques Chirac, attending the Group of Eight summit on Sea Island, Georgia, said Foreign Minister Michel Barnier would represent his government.

There you go. Bloomberg is pretty accurate.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2004, 10:44:02 PM »
Shadenfreude, I am curious, are funerals in your country by invitation only? Have you never been to one?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2004, 10:44:57 PM »
In that case my apologies for casting aspersions on the intellectual capacity of the BBS this time.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2004, 10:49:05 PM »
Originally posted by _Schadenfreude_
In that case my apologies for casting aspersions on the intellectual capacity of the BBS this time.

Im going to go out on a limb and suggest you are drunk.

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2004, 10:51:01 PM »
the way americans have voiced their hatred for the french and their president i'm surprised chirac sent anyone as a representative
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 10:56:50 PM by xrtoronto »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2004, 10:51:08 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
1. We sure as heck have dang few politicians that can speak as well as Reagan did. Or even speak publicly at all. Stevens was embarassing. I hope Bush is practicing very hard. :rolliething: He needs to do well on this one.

I thought Cheney delivered an excellent eulogy. Little hope Bush will do so well.:(

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2004, 10:53:29 PM »
Originally posted by xrtoronto
the way americans have voiced their hatred for the french and their president i'm surprised chirac sent anyone as a represtative

Fully deserved. Too bad the French will never understand what they have lost. Then again, ya never know.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2004, 11:01:50 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Who did the US send to attend President Georges Pompidou's funeral? I know Al Gore was sent to President François Mitterrand's funeral.

Well, Chirac happens to be in the area. I wouldn't want that piece of filth anywhere near Reagan's body though, so it's great that he won't be attending.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2004, 11:08:52 PM »
Pompidou and Mitterand were certainly not the players on the world stage that Reagan was.

Yet President Nixon attended Pompidou's funeral in '74.

Again, how would the French have felt if we had sent only the Secretary of State to De Gaulle's funeral? Would they have taken it as a slight?

Answer honestly, Scholz, Schade. If you can.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2004, 11:15:36 PM »
I don't know, but knowing the French I would guess they would take offence.

Indeed. So why are you making such a big deal in this thread?

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2004, 11:20:37 PM »
*lol* I think I know why the French are a but sour.

"In Paris for the funeral of French president Georges Pompidou in 1974, Nixon remarked, 'This is a great day for France.'"

Anytime a US President is in France, it's a great day for France:)

Seriously, what was the context of that quote?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2004, 11:25:21 PM »
Why don't all you French bashing A-holes give it a rest for a while.

Yeah, I think you're making a big deal out of nothing. Especially considering the comment about Nuke that followed this one.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2004, 11:27:35 PM »
BTW, Nixon said that at De Gaulle's funeral, not Pompidou's.

That's the quote I referred to earlier. I can understand why the French would be P.O.'d too, considering their regard for De Gaulle.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2004, 11:31:15 PM »
But you're making a big deal of it in THIS thread.

As for any of the French showing, I really think most Yanks could not care a whit less about it if they don't.

I know I don't give a fig if they show or not.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2004, 11:32:47 PM »
The rampant French bashing is not limited to this thread Toad. Considering the way the French have been treated by Americans both officially and publicly you should be happy that they send any representative at all.

can you give some examples?