Author Topic: Today is the Day  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Today is the Day
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2004, 12:44:01 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
So god is in charge of America then? What is the role of the goverment and president if god is your boss?

Did I say that? No, I did not. I said that the Constitution states that certain rights are not subject to the governments will to remove or restrict them. The founding fathers and the authors of the documents on which the system of government is based believed that God grants men their rights, and the government does not. Therefore, the government is the servant of the people, not the other way around.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Today is the Day
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2004, 12:47:09 PM »
Originally posted by RTStuka
Why is it that someone like moore who makes films like bowling for colombine and this one feel its great to make money off of american tradgedy

That covers a broad spectrum, from the civil war to vietnam. In some instances it helps you look deeper into what happened. In this case, imo, it's like watching a film about it that Bill O'rielly or Rush Limbaugh put together, it is very bias. So I am not going to waste my money on it.

What really bothers me is someone posted a quote from GW saying OBL is not important anymore, I hope this is bogus.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Today is the Day
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2004, 12:54:09 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Then you could have pirated it. Never hurts to know what the "opposition" thinks.

I respectfully disagree. I'd like to recommend Barry Glassner's excellent book "Culture Of Fear: Why Americans are afraid of the wrong things". While the book is more general in its scope than just the relationship between crime and paranoia, it is still relevant and a very good read.

I try to avoid stealing. Besides, I really just have no desire to see any more than I've already seen of it.

I really have no idea where people get the idea that Americans live in fear. I just don't see it.  There are those, especially including the media, who try to profit from creating panic and fear, but in general, no one I know falls for it. There is some genuine and legitimate concern for many things, but fear is not really a factor. Despite the mass media and other efforts to the contrary.

Interesting points though, and worthy of discussion. I might try to find some excerpts from that book and see if any of it interests me.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Today is the Day
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2004, 12:57:09 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
Did I say that? No, I did not. I said that the Constitution states that certain rights are not subject to the governments will to remove or restrict them. The founding fathers and the authors of the documents on which the system of government is based believed that God grants men their rights, and the government does not. Therefore, the government is the servant of the people, not the other way around.

Aha, good to see that Bush is in control. Was worried there for a while.

Oh wait....Bush is in control ??? :eek:

hehe :)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Today is the Day
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2004, 01:09:12 PM »
Moore is another example of niche marketing -- he found his niche, and is getting wealthy and (in)famous with it as long as people pay to see his films.

The irony is to see his films to find firsthand what he is talking about is to support him whether you agree with him or not.  

I bit for Columbine and that's enough Moore for me.  If he has any points, he corrupts them with cheap attacks and sensationalism.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous