Author Topic: AH2 Running on my PII 450mhz  (Read 1902 times)

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
AH2 Running on my PII 450mhz
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2004, 12:52:35 PM »
Originally posted by slimm50
So with my PIII 866 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 32 Meg NVidia TNT2 AGP I should be able to fly AHII if I only replace the NVidia with a cheap ($80, or so) video card?

WooooHooo!:D

The Nvidia TNT2 chip (nvidia 17) is the same chip used in a couple Geforce cards, namingly the Geforce 4 MX 420. This is why that card is on'y 7-11 faster then the TNT2. Unless you tweak the snot out of it.

So in otherwords the answer is yes. Better is better, but ya.

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2004, 12:55:19 PM »
Originally posted by United
I know next to nothing about PCs, and I know some here are gonna flip when I ask but:  What are BIOS, what do they do, and how can I change them to boost performance?

Go to my old site
http://www.icongrp.com/~stagemon/ah/

In the left menu look for Bios. This site is currently being rebuilt, the new version is not online yet. But this stuff still applies.

Anim

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2004, 01:10:58 PM »
Originally posted by Grimm
Mine is definately a PII.   I believe that was about as high as the PII went.  PIII also start about 450,  So there was a little over lap.

In fact this machine is the screamer that I got so I could fly AW reliabley years ago.  Its never had a reinstall of windows and AW ME is still there able to go Offline.

I like the H2H Idea, that would be a hoot.   "No P4s or AMDs Allowed"  area   ;)    LOL

Ok I finally took flight last night, to lazy and tired to setup the stick I flew via mouse, which is not all that bad.

I averaged 20-29 fps over the base shooting Drones, not screeming but playable. I flew around for a while and never really hit a spot that was unplayable. a few quick dips to 17 fps

So I flew in a small furball of 5-6 planes (drones) Never had any problem, a furball of say 10-15 planes would prolly chop it up at this point, but I'm still not done either.

I was in the 40s over the water looking at the sky.

This FM smokes the living pants off the AH1 FM.

I don't know why people are sniveling about gunnery, all I had to do is hit that target and poof.....of course once I learned AH2 was coming I quit flying, so I don't have that AH1 FM inbedded in my head. You just have to be closer tot he target, more like RL, you're not likely to hit a target at 800-1000 yards, but I did a few times.

HTC is doing a smokin job, no matter what the snivelers say.

I love the FM and I love the new gunnery settings. Some peope just need to pull their pants up and be men about it.

I flew between branches of the trees and clipped one branch but didn't die. Hit the truck and poof

VERY good stuff HTC and crew, wtfg!

Anim

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2004, 01:31:52 PM »
I guess I better add that the testing I am doing so far was on version 200, no updates, just the raw first version. I just installed update 5 and going to see what that did.

Anim

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2004, 02:47:51 PM »
Maybe you guys can help me-

I have been trying to get AH2 to run on my dinosaur for some time, well before the MA went AH2. I still cannot get it to run, I have been workin on it with skuzzy and we still cant seem to find the trouble.

Pent 3 933
win 98
geforce 4 mx 420 (5664 driver) (same prob w/old driver)
sb live value (0252 driver)
384mb ram
directx 9.0b

I always get "initialization failed with -3mainGR3D_Failed-4"
I have tried changin desktop color, tried changing drivers, got a new hard drive cause my last one was old & small, I have posts in tech help but still no solution.

I also tried complete uninstall & deleted all HTC programs, then fresh D/L from BBS, when I checked my settings folder it was blank. Both my firewall & my anti-virus are supposed to let all HTC content pass, is it possible somehow only specific files got blocked?

Anton

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2004, 02:53:26 PM »
bet it is just crusty.  Did you reinstall 98 clean on the new drive, or just copy over the old one?

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2004, 02:54:56 PM »
No one is complaining about not being able to fly or look at the blue sky.  I don't anderstand what exactly your point is.  Is it that we are just whiners and have no reason to complain?  Try this, go online, get into an area with lets say 6 planes close to an airfield thats maybe smoking, get on someones six and fire the guns.  She your frame rates go to 0 while you are locked up and heading for the water.  Then wake up in the tower and enjoy your FPS.  

If your point is that the game will start and you can fly around using an old computer then fine, otherwise . . . . .
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2004, 02:55:41 PM »
Originally posted by slimm50
So with my PIII 866 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 32 Meg NVidia TNT2 AGP I should be able to fly AHII if I only replace the NVidia with a cheap ($80, or so) video card?

WooooHooo!:D

slim thats basically the same rig Im using . The only difference is I slapped in a nvidia FX5200 with 128mb of ram
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline LostRat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2004, 02:57:30 PM »
Pretty much same setup as Animal here, cept mine's a PIII 800Mhz, running 98se instead of XP. Pretty much same result, FR wise. Only time it really drops below 20 fps is when I switch to ground visual range for hunting GV's. Then it'll drop to somewhere between 12 & 16 fps, but still playable, certainly enough for shootin truck drivers :)

LostRat

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2004, 02:59:11 PM »
Originally posted by WilldCrd
slim thats basically the same rig Im using . The only difference is I slapped in a nvidia FX5200 with 128mb of ram

Hey wild, are experiencing any probs?  I got a 2Gig 256ram FX5500 256 video.  I cannot get into a furball without the FPS goign below 12.  What are your other settings?

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2004, 03:01:31 PM »
Originally posted by anton

I have been trying to get AH2 to run on my dinosaur for some time, well before the MA went AH2. I still cannot get it to run, I have been workin on it with skuzzy and we still cant seem to find the trouble.

Pent 3 933
win 98
384mb ram
directx 9.0b

I have tried changin desktop color, tried changing drivers, got a new hard drive cause my last one was old & small, I have posts in tech help but still no solution.

I also tried complete uninstall & deleted all HTC programs, then fresh D/L from BBS, when I checked my settings folder it was blank. Both my firewall & my anti-virus are supposed to let all HTC content pass, is it possible somehow only specific files got blocked?

Anton

I ued to get the same message heres the fixes

since your running 98 try this go to the HTC floder then aceshigh.exec file rename it to aceshigh II.exec
This worked for a long time for me till i found out i had to go into compatability in XP and turn off "run in 256 colors"

If that doesnt work email HT he can either tell you exactly whats wrong and/or hook you up with a work around. {he did this for me}

Basically your card is failing to load aceshigh2 correctly.
If you have any other questions my email is in my sig
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2004, 03:14:21 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
No one is complaining about not being able to fly or look at the blue sky.  I don't anderstand what exactly your point is.  Is it that we are just whiners and have no reason to complain?  Try this, go online, get into an area with lets say 6 planes close to an airfield thats maybe smoking, get on someones six and fire the guns.  She your frame rates go to 0 while you are locked up and heading for the water.  Then wake up in the tower and enjoy your FPS.  

If your point is that the game will start and you can fly around using an old computer then fine, otherwise . . . . .

Do you even read or do you just skim post?

I just posted that my FPS was in the 20s over a city, looking down at it shooting drones, 5-6 of them, exactly what you are asking only off line. If I had an aco**** I would shoot your down just to prove the point. ;-)

Anim

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2004, 03:15:27 PM »
Originally posted by LostRat
Pretty much same setup as Animal here, cept mine's a PIII 800Mhz, running 98se instead of XP. Pretty much same result, FR wise. Only time it really drops below 20 fps is when I switch to ground visual range for hunting GV's. Then it'll drop to somewhere between 12 & 16 fps, but still playable, certainly enough for shootin truck drivers :)

LostRat

It can be better for you with that rig. ;-)

Anim

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2004, 03:48:58 PM »
Originally posted by anton

Pent 3 933
win 98
384mb ram
directx 9.0b

Anton

Anton ;-)

I had the same error when changing viedo settings and then restarting the game. It then just went away, after I finished setting what I wanted. At first I assumed that converting from my desktop res to the game res I wanted may have caused it. I'm just not sure yet. HT has the specs on what triggers this error message.

When tweaking DO NOT just make a bunch of settings and go with it. Experiment with each one you do. Reboot, often, take one at a time and make sure each and every setting contribute to performance before just leaving it.

Tweaking a machine needs to star at the core. If the bios is not setup right for your video card, nothing you do will mean crap, many things can happen, incluing freezes and stutters. Work your way UP from the bios. You can read about BIOS definitions and what they do, at the old AH Tech Hangar site, the new one is not up yet.
http://www.icongrp.com/~stagemon/ah/

In the left menu look for BIOS settings. READ the document fully before doing anything. The BIOS is a dangerous place to toy with so make sure you document ALL your changes. No exceptions. At this time only BX and VIA bios are addressed here.

At that point I would look for tweaks to streamline memory, most all the pages there will tell how and why.

Now here's the catch, after you make all these settings, you may end up with a clash, this is where you are going to really fine tune it.

I'm not a fan of Overclocking, there is more to OCing then just hopping up the CPU, the Video card should be OCed to add stability if you are going to OC the CPU. Save OCing for LAST, other wise you'll get a comination of errors that will be hard to figure out.

Turn off EVERYTHING, and I mean everything, no exceptions period. Firewalls are great but  they constantly are checking the reg so it's a process that eats resources. All auto email checking should be off. If you have XP there are a lot of startup services that can be disabled or set to manual, these are also resource hogs. Same with Anti Virus, HOGS. Spyware detectors as well, When Is ay everything I do in fact mean everything.

Basically I do not what I did in AW3. I make a new user desktop and turning off everything  from starting up, running in the back ground etc. Real bland. This way when I want to play i don't have to destroy my normal desktop to play.

MS Office FindFast, OE auto email checking (30 min) will cause stalls and jitters when they decide to run at intervals as anythig else. That could be why some players are just fine for a while then suddenly the FPS goes to crap, then after a few seconds they see it come up again. some will refer to this in the game as warping, because that's the illuion an over worked CPU will demonstrate.

For the most part. No one tweak is going to show massive performance jumps, unless you found THE bottleneck. The performance will increase with a combination of tweaks working together. This is what I refer to as streamline. Everything moves smoothly together.

I just can't put in one post what all you need to look at, but this should be a start in the right direction. But I think starting int he BIOS *CAREFULLY* is the way to start. DO not paygames with the BIOS, if you are not absolutely sure what something does do not change it.

Check your Buss speeds, make sure they are correct.

Power Management, Video Shadowing, Video Cacheing can usually be disabled for performance hits, depending on how old your card is usually. Most those things cause Machine Latency. So we don't only talk about connection latency, but machine latency as well.

Sorry for the long windedness,  but this can't really be addressed in one post ;-)

Anim

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2004, 03:53:50 PM »
Originally posted by FT_Animal
Do you even read or do you just skim post?

I just posted that my FPS was in the 20s over a city, looking down at it shooting drones, 5-6 of them, exactly what you are asking only off line. If I had an aco**** I would shoot your down just to prove the point. ;-)

Anim

lol, you wouldn't.  You would lock up as your guns fired.  I have no probs off line either.  Its not the same.  I always have to fly out over the water and pick up a fight there.  I can maintain 30 to 40 outhere.  Over a field under attack I can do 12 to 0.