Author Topic: AH2 Running on my PII 450mhz  (Read 1901 times)

Offline LostRat

• Zinc Member
AH2 Running on my PII 450mhz
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2004, 03:11:31 PM »
{    Pretty much same setup as Animal here, cept mine's a PIII 800Mhz, running 98se instead of XP. Pretty much same result, FR wise. Only time it really drops below 20 fps is when I switch to ground visual range for hunting GV's. Then it'll drop to somewhere between 12 & 16 fps, but still playable, certainly enough for shootin truck drivers

LostRat }

It can be better for you with that rig. ;-)

Anim

Prolly Animal, but working til I upgrade this fall. ... and hard to keep the 'puter running clean when I come home to find the other 'tards in the house have done something stupid to it while I was toiling away at work, hehe

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2004, 04:16:48 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag
:rolleyes:

i love it when people see that old tvs use 24 fps, so that means thats all the human eye can see.

maybe on a a TV screen, but not a high res monitor without motion blur.... oh forget it, yes your eyes see 24fps only! you win.......

ok download this http://sdw.arsware.org/FPSCompare/

and tell me you cant see a difference between 24fps and 40 or 70....

to me it stops making a difference between 60 and 70 ie 60 is totaly smooth to me so 70 makes no difference

we've been through this arguement many times theres NEVER a real answer to the question. your asking me for facts, but WHY DONT YOU tell me some facts huh? oh a TV screen uses 24fps so thats all we can see....nice evidence!

and why did you have to bring this up in this thread anyway?

oh and i bet you've never SEEN high fps...thats why your telling me the whole human race cant :lol :rofl

LOL FOD

Ok I read the article.
You need to read between the lines as to what he is saying, and what I was trying to say.

Quite evidently my figures WERE correct, according to the research we did years ago.

Also quite evidently, according to this web page from someone I don't know how credible they are (translation from the original experiment) further research has been done since then. I would much rather see the document he gets this data from then reading translations. He could be 100% accurate but I don't know that yet, he could also be innocently telling half truths.

Here's my point. I don't mind, if my data is old and it needs updating, I am always willing to be SHOWN learn new information. I asked for example from one person who DID approach the issue in a rather insulting manner, and someone else offered up the data, not him. Basically his approach to say I am wrong sucked, that’s his fault. A semi apology followed by yet another insult, didn’t smooth anything over. Had he posted info in his first post this conversation would not exist. So basically, he basically got what he asked for, whether you or he like it or not. TS

But this arrogant NON “polite” approach to just dweeble out and say "OH PLEASE.. blah blah blah ".. and produce nothing is stupid

Another more reasonable approach that would not require a return of insults would be to say sumthin like....

"That may have been true years ago, but further research has been done since and maybe you'd like to refresh or update your knowledge base by reading this link."

Look up the term Cognitive Conversation.

I am not saying this article is wrong, and I'm not saying it's 100% accurate. I will admit I may need to be updated. I will say it has inspired me to look into what this guy says, besides just his web page. I'd rather see the original articles he gets his data from, which I am going to search for. I understand what he is saying, I'm just not sure it applies 100% as to our original subject, it seems to have a very slight different approach. The eye may see more then 30 fps, but things won’t get bad until it drops below that or 24. And that is 100% correct.

No one is saying that anything over 24 is a waste, it's awesome, more power to ya. If you can afford a new monster good, go get it, it's all the better. If you can't and you are struggling to play as long as you can push that machine to stay above 25 you'll be ok, not great, ok. But you need to learn how to push a machine to extreme, and it’s the guys with slow machine who know how to do this best.

BTW
You don't sound any better other then you had enough smarts to post the link. GFYYFFF

Anim

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2004, 04:29:16 PM »
My my Apple IIE get 7FPS
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2004, 06:22:46 PM »
ok animal you win :rolleyes: :lol
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2004, 06:25:55 PM »
Originally posted by Grimm

15-25  poor  barely flyable
25-35  OK  might have some frame hits in bad situations
35-50  Good,   should be smooth all the time.
50-75  Great   looks fantastic all the time.
75-100  You now can claim your the most manly with a super box.
100+  The gods wish they were as cool as you   ;)

indeed

there IS a difference between 35 and 70 (70hz vsync....)

35fps is "ok" and yes i cant see any FPS (since the human eye doesnt see FPS......) but it stutters around.

70fps just smooths out the movements so much more

animal...calm down a tad :lol

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2004, 07:10:13 PM »
indeed

there IS a difference between 35 and 70 (70hz vsync....)

35fps is "ok" and yes i cant see any FPS (since the human eye doesnt see FPS......) but it stutters around.

70fps just smooths out the movements so much more

animal...calm down a tad :lol

LOL Dude, I'm calm, compared to when I really pop a cork, this is fairytail peacefulness. I just have zero tolerence for nonsense.

G. Patton:
"...Sometimes it's appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer"

"A good plan violently executed right now is far better than a perfect plan executed next week."

Anim

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2004, 07:45:48 PM »
i think 7 fps is playable.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2004, 09:57:37 PM »
Originally posted by FT_Animal
LOL Dude, I'm calm, compared to when I really pop a cork, this is fairytail peacefulness. I just have zero tolerence for nonsense.

G. Patton:
"...Sometimes it's appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer"

"A good plan violently executed right now is far better than a perfect plan executed next week."

Anim

so....your facts then? blank posted the link i was looking for....i posted a link that has a nice program that shows the diff?

all you've done is textual screaming at me that im wrong....... :)

the fps arguement is totaly over done on the internet, and it never reaches a proper conclusion, with each side of the frence rubbishing the others sources......lol :lol

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2004, 11:22:57 PM »
so....your facts then? blank posted the link i was looking for....i posted a link that has a nice program that shows the diff?

all you've done is textual screaming at me that im wrong....... :)

the fps arguement is totaly over done on the internet, and it never reaches a proper conclusion, with each side of the frence rubbishing the others sources......lol :lol

I'm not rubbishing the link of the resources, I'm not rubbishing your link to the proggie. As a matter of fact, I'm like a sponge and obsorb all I can. I like seeing people post things of interest to me. Learning doesn't stop the second you think you know it all, it's an on going process, atleast with me. Chances are, if you think you know it all there is a bigger chance you don't.

If someone can prove me wrong, I don't take offence or as it proving me wrong, I take it as furthering my education on a subject. The more I know, the better chances I have of seeing the big picture more clearly.

I really enjoy helping people who can't play, get them to play, see the smile, and move on to the next challenge. Sometimes I enjoy that more then the game itself. Maybe I just come from a different type of community, I dunno.

My point to this "arguement" is not that I am always right, it's that just to say I am wrong and offer nothing as an explination is questionable, then I have to say, why bother me at all? That's like getting a paycheck with nothing written on it.

I'm not directing this at you, but, I have a very low tolerance for an immature attitude entering an adult conversation. It just doesn't blow my skirt up much. ;-)

Sorry if I unduely offended anyone. ;-)

Anim

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2004, 12:01:36 AM »
so....your facts then?

BTW, I'd much rather see a proggie done the same format as the game. This proggie is OpenGL format, Not DirectX as in AH.

Although I understand what you are proving, it's possible that it's not the same. OpenGL tends to run faster and smoother in a lot of cases, namingly Half-Life.

I don't need facts for this one, this seems easy.

Now if you look close you can see the difference, but you do have to look fairly close, Its not as if it jumps out at you. If you didn't have another side to compare you wouldn't notice it nearly as much. It's somewhat of an optical illusion to be able to see both at once, which is something you will not see in the game.

Sorta like comparing very close colors, you really don't know which one is darker until you compare them side by side. If you didn't see them side by side it would be VERY hard to tell the difference from a simple mental reference (memory), seeing them one at a time. Quite different.

So at this point while you may have proven something in a side-by-side comparison. It didn't convince me enough to believe whole heartedly that a player could tell much of a difference in the game using peripheral vision, you're gonna have to look *hard* to see  it.

Also, notice the comparison numbers do not compare the numbers I think I was suggesting which were using the comparison of 40 FPS -vs- 70 or 80. If you can barely see the difference of 30 vs 70, you are going to see less of a difference using 40 -vs- e.i. 80. As I pretty sure I suggested.

30 is only 6 higher then the minimum, it's playable but real smooth kicks in at around 40.
10 FPS makes a difference that close to the minimum. On the higher end of the spectrum 10 FPS doesn’t mean squat.

Thanks for posting the proggie ;-)

Anim

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2004, 05:27:05 AM »
I'm not rubbishing the link of the resources, I'm not rubbishing your link to the proggie. As a matter of fact, I'm like a sponge and obsorb all I can. I like seeing people post things of interest to me. Learning doesn't stop the second you think you know it all, it's an on going process, atleast with me. Chances are, if you think you know it all there is a bigger chance you don't.

i ment the "fps arguement" on the net (every forum has at least one lol) , not just you :)

My point to this "arguement" is not that I am always right, it's that just to say I am wrong and offer nothing as an explination is questionable, then I have to say, why bother me at all? That's like getting a paycheck with nothing written on it.

I'm not directing this at you, but, I have a very low tolerance for an immature attitude entering an adult conversation. It just doesn't blow my skirt up much. ;-)

Sorry if I unduely offended anyone. ;-)

Anim

heh i was just a tad annoyed at something that night (probably got shot down too many times :mad: ).... but the whole reason i acted like that is im sick of seeing these type of silly post about the fps we see. Every forum, every year it seems has the same thing lol.

no one REALLY knows, how can they test it? is everyone the same?

Offline Stiletto

• Zinc Member
      • http://flying-tigers.org
Re: AH2 Running on my PII 450mhz
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2004, 12:18:52 AM »
Originally posted by Grimm
I just thought Id point out that everyone doesnt need a $3,000 monster to run this game.

I just installed a Video Card I took out of another machine into my old 450mhz machine to see how it did.

Hey Grimm!

Nice work. I happen to know that FTStil is flying a setup not much better (or newer) than this. The problem is that we are still in the tweaking phase of this new AH, and we all need to be a little patient. I've seen my frame rate get steadily better, as Hitech tweaks the engine.

Here's another thing that I've observed: most people I know start out with really great machines, and proceed to load them up with games, programs of dubious quality that they download, software, etc. Gradually, every time they boot up, they're starting up a couple of dozen programs that run in the background, and they fill up their hard drives and basically choke their systems. However, as long as Aces High works, they don't do anything about it. Then, along comes a major release, and their machines can't handle it.

Now, to be perfectly honest about it, that 450 of yours isn't going to be very much fun to fly with, unless you can get the fps above 25 or so in smoke and busy dogfighting environments. If you can do that, that would truly be amazing. BUT! I fly with a one gig machine with a 2-year old 5700 video card, and I do just fine in the smoke. Of course, I have completely cleaned out all of the extraneous crap in my machine, too, and I recommend that as a first step to anybody having problems. It doesn't cost anything, either. ;)