Author Topic: Neighbors new boat  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2004, 11:01:28 AM »
Get an anchor and chain and put it in the rope locker, Rip, then you can use the weight when you need it.

Airhead, don't get your panties in a wad.  Fountains were developed as racing boats; Sea-rays are not, although they use many of the design cues.  That is what I meant by poser.

Oh, and I am a 43 year boater, at one time professionally, now just for pleasure and even quite a bit of blow-boating.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2004, 11:03:40 AM »
Originally posted by Lizking
Get an anchor and chain and put it in the rope locker, Rip, then you can use the weight when you need it.

ALready done. I have a 20 lb. anchor and about 10 pounds of chain.  I need something more.

This boat (Campion 542, 20 ft. 3") only weighs 1690 dry.  I have the biggest outboard you can put on it legally, so theres alot of weight in the back with the additional trolling motor combined with the main outboard....

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2004, 11:04:45 AM »
Heh...my cash blackhole.1993 Mastercraft Prostar 205.

The pics are the same year as mine,but mine's dark blue.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2004, 11:13:27 AM »
Is it very common in the US to bring the boat to and from the water on trailors, and have them at home when you dont use them?.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2004, 11:15:52 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Is it very common in the US to bring the boat to and from the water on trailors, and have them at home when you dont use them?.

Depends where you live.  In Minnesota, there are a lot of lakes, many people have waterfront homes, and subsequent docks.

Here in the PNW, not many lakes, and a house on a lake near Seattle will run you $1,000,000+.  Moorage is an option but its not cheap either...$200 to 500 a month in Tacoma, depending on the slip size.

If you like to fish various lakes, yes, trailering is quite common for sports fishermen.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2004, 11:16:29 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
What are "Fat sacks" ?  I need alittle ballast in my bow, and have a nice hidden compartment up in the cuddy (storage compartment) where I could add some weight, but I've yet to decide what to add up there for weight, I need something relatively small but heavy.

Are fat sacks like shot peen sewn into bags?

Edit: Found this on the web
http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=59_61&products_id=414&osCsid=dd327972e18e776b3d636af1b1201eb2

That's them Rip. I have two under my bow seats and one in the ski locker. It takes about twenty minutes to fill them and drain them,  but  it makes the boat sit so much lower in the water and handle differently I wouldn't want a permanent ballast.

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2004, 11:18:47 AM »

It all depends.

Here in Ohio dockspace is very limited.You have to get in a lottery for a slip where I boat,and when you get one,it's good for five years.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2004, 11:21:13 AM »
Originally posted by Sox62
Heh...my cash blackhole.1993 Mastercraft Prostar 205.

The pics are the same year as mine,but mine's dark blue.

Sweet boat, Sox. Any plans for putting a tower on it? I bought a Monster Tower a month ago and they make a great tower for about a grand- I'm happy with mine and can recomend them.

Check out MonsterTower.Com for pics.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2004, 11:23:03 AM »
Ok. that would explain a thing or 2 about the american boats we can buy here. They are so fundamentaly different from the boats being buildt in scandinavia. :)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2004, 11:24:42 AM »
Originally posted by Airhead
Sweet boat, Sox. Any plans for putting a tower on it? I bought a Monster Tower a month ago and they make a great tower for about a grand- I'm happy with mine and can recomend them.

I love Overtons, have you checked out products on their website? In some cases they're sell products cheaper than anywhere else I've found on the net.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2004, 11:30:13 AM »
Ok. that would explain a thing or 2 about the american boats we can buy here. They are so fundamentaly different from the boats being buildt in scandinavia. :)

Boating in the US is broke down into several catagories and I am sure I missed a few:

Water sports
Fishing
Pleasure cruising
Sailboating
Offshore power boating
list goes on...I would say a majority of 21 ft. or UNDER are usually trailered.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2004, 11:35:36 AM »
I like the south Florida solution:  They rack em and stack em in a warehouse, then you call ahead a day and they have it washed, fueld and sitting in a slip when you get there.  When you are done, they wash it and fork it back into the rack.

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2004, 11:42:06 AM »
Originally posted by Airhead

Thanks Airhead.I mainly slalom,so no tower.

The last couple of years I haven't been able to do much boating.I'm hoping to get back into the swing of things next summer.

A quick question though;does anyone know of a place the sells(ships)custom boat covers at a reasonable price?

I've ordered them through Overton's before,but the fit was less than perfect,lol.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2004, 11:45:14 AM »
Yeah i guess thats the same here to Ripsnort i just havent broken them down before

We basicly have these groups

Big boats that people spend their weekends and holidays on. usually Sailboats or cabincruisers from 33 feet and up to whatever your wallet can handle

Hobby fishing. From small dingys up to fairly large open boats with twin outboards

But by far the biggest group is those that has a boat mored at their summerhouse by the sea or in a marina close by. Those people (me included) use them for anything from waterskiing, shopping, fishing and for going to visit nearby summerhouses/cabins to meet freinds. etc etc. The most popular boats look like those that i posted earlyer in this thread. The dont have carpets and  usually has very deep V bottom hulls to handle well in rough/choppy seas without "jumping" on waves to much and they have teak "decks".

There are 3 brands of american boats that are successful here. Its the 18-22 foot Bayliners and Sea Rays with the open bow solution that are popular on inland lakes (not in the ocean) and Boston Whalers for the use i mentioned above.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 11:48:17 AM by Nilsen »

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2004, 11:47:55 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I need about 150 lbs. of ballast in the front to make it just right. I have a trimmable outboard, but it takes full trim down for the hole shot, or the passengers to move forward in the boat to prevent alot of bow rise for an extended length.

I ordered a Sting Ray in leiu of going big bucks for alternative..trim tabs ($49 vs $500) so I'll see how well the Stingray does. This may or may not help my severe bow rise problem.

one sq. ft. of water wieghs 64 pounds. Its the best ballast imo
you can empty it at the lake and not trailor it home.

My boat has 800 lbs of ballast already but if I desired more it would be water weight...